Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

How often should I backup /newstuff?

Yes, I know that a lot of the wads make it into the archive eventually - but my point is that they (eventually) all get reviewed, making a pool of /newstuff more efficient to access than downloading them individually in the archives. Also, I want to take a look at the wads that don't make it due to copyright issues and other reasons that don't include them being crap.

As I understand it, if a wad appears in /newstuff, that pretty much means that it's accepted to the archive. Now, /incoming might contain some stuff that will be eventually rejected, however it is not accessible for normal users.

Memfis said:

As I understand it, if a wad appears in /newstuff, that pretty much means that it's accepted to the archive. Now, /incoming might contain some stuff that will be eventually rejected, however it is not accessible for normal users.

If you (or anyone) had to guess, roughly what percentage make the cut? There could be a lot of great stuff that doesn't make it for copyright reasons/mp3s in wads.

Memfis said:

I imagine usually authors of rejected wads realize that they did something wrong, correct their mistakes and the wad appears in the archives.

This. I also imagine that authors of impressive wads with serious copyright problems know that the wad would be rejected, and so they don't upload it at all. Usually, at least.

Actually I haven't heard of any files being rejected due to copyright problems in a few years at least. Bigass wads with lots of commercial mp3s pass just fine. Ty is more concerned about stuff like modified iwad levels or iwad resources being included.

Instead of opening a new thread I would like to ask here, as it seems it's a question somehow related to what invictius asked.

I recently downloaded this. I have two questions:

1. How do I keep it up to date? Is there a way for me to just download an "update", or will it be uploaded entirely again sometime, so I have to download ~12 GB again?
2. What about /idstuff? I see there are patches and older versions there, is the directory worth downloading?

EDIT: @invictius: how did you download all of this? I've tried with some download managers, and a lot of the files fail, showing me various errors (most commonly, a "server error" or something like that).

Zed said:

I've tried with some download managers, and a lot of the files fail, showing me various errors (most commonly, a "server error" or something like that).

Some servers don't like download managers hogging their bandwidth. Reducing the number of simultaneous downloads and/or concurrent connections should get most of them to play nice.