Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Largest map that does't require keys?

I can't think of one in a pwad that's larger than any iwad level yet is keyless. Apart from perhaps, some of the levels in Crapi.

Honestly, I suppose that large maps without keys would be either horrendous switch hunts, or boring linear, or a direction-less chaos. But well, I can't think off any at all, except Panophobia MAP02, which is actually not that much long. So I'm sorry for this useless remark.

I like the thread. The question looked easy first, but turned out to be tricky for me to think about it as well.

I remember crfe_p1 map01 had no keys initially, but I somehow finished it below three minutes, this must have convinced NokturnuS to insert one.

hr2final map29 is the biggest i can think of now.

Zed said:

I'm not really sure about this ones (I played them a while ago), but if I remember correctly, I think both Impossible: A New Reality and Unloved don't require any keys.

there are keys in impossible, the red key trap has a pretty memorable cyberdemon fake-out to go with it

Salt-Man Z said:

UNLOVED had keys, I remember that much.

kmxexii said:

there are keys in impossible, the red key trap has a pretty memorable cyberdemon fake-out to go with it

Heh, damn it. To make this post relevant, I'd like to point out that, curiously, both E1M1 and MAP01 don't have any keys, and E1M2 and MAP02 both have a red key. Coincidence?

The largest keyless maps I discovered in PWADs I had to hand were Sunder 11, SF2012 28, and SF2011 27 and 31. Largest in this case means highest thing count (I was already scanning the things lump, so it was the easiest metric to code)

Good luck for looking for the polar opposite of my general mapping, which includes all three keys in each damn friggin' level, even the shortest ones.