Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Commander Keen source released.

Thread title a bit misleading; was expecting the Vorticons/Galaxy sources but got Keen Dreams instead. Still, though, I suppose adapting the Dreams source to run Galaxy isn't that huge of a stretch...

I want fullcolor Keen with Heart of Darkness fatalities and footsteps and smooth animation and real gore and a button to make Keen make a loser sign and say go screw yourself and camera pan and duck walk and ACS and Mode 7 and and and and and and and and

Jaxxoon R said:

I want fullcolor Keen with Heart of Darkness fatalities and footsteps and smooth animation and real gore and a button to make Keen make a loser sign and say go screw yourself and camera pan and duck walk and ACS and Mode 7 and and and and and and and and

Brutal Keen! That'd be awesome!

I would be interested in knowing if the guy doing this even has the legal authority to.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same scam artist who tried to get this same thing Kickstarted a while ago.

Rampage470 said:

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same scam artist who tried to get this same thing Kickstarted a while ago.

Looks like it's the same person, Javier M. Chavez. I thought this was odd that the program wasn't committed to the repository of Flat Rock Software, the company that legitimately released some of the other Softdisk oldies a few months back.

That brings us to the following questions: What IS this code? Where did it come from? The couple of files I checked have comments saying "Copyright (C) 2014 Javier M. Chavez" and GNU GPL notices. If Chavez legitimately transfered copyrights from Id or Softdisk or Flat Rock, why in the world did they bother instead of releasing it themselves? If he didn't transfer copyrights, then some owner of an orphan work is going to be pissed.

On the other hand all the commits are by Blzut3 who had a hand in Flat Rock's previous releases, so it's likely not totally bogus. Baffling.

Why would we worry about copyright? This is too public to be illegal.

I don't know this Keen Dreams thing, I hope it plays the more known games.

Urban Space Cowboy said:

What IS this code?

The source code to Commander Keen in Keen Dreams. Every version of it.

Urban Space Cowboy said:

Where did it come from?

Richard Mandel.

Urban Space Cowboy said:

If Chavez legitimately transfered copyrights from ... Flat Rock

I do know that Richard only sent me the latest version when doing the other code drops. I also know the new owner of the Hovertank IP and he got the backlog of source codes when purchasing the rights. Thus we can conclude that Javier must have bought the rights from Richard since we have a complete archive.

Urban Space Cowboy said:

why in the world did they bother instead of releasing it themselves?

I'm not sure what your question is here exactly? The source was released because that was part of the indiegogo campaign.

Urban Space Cowboy said:

If he didn't transfer copyrights, then some owner of an orphan work is going to be pissed.

Flat Rock Software had the rights to the game as evidenced by the Android release. They had the rights to all softdisk games (to my knowledge) until recently.

The only thing that was ever in question about the crowd funding campaign was if Javier was going to follow through with it given his history. Fortunately, he did.

So will this give us an answer to what exactly Carmack's smooth-scrolling EGA trick was? The way it's talked about makes it sound like he did something non-obvious to achieve it.

Maybe only updating the parts of the screen that actually changed? :-)