Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cell

Ars Mappoetica (Single WIP)

Something that I just wrote, but then highlighted the essential, that

From a random source of my recent brainstormings and also inspired by the D'INO series, I've gotten to inventing the idea of something that Doomworld users will either consider offensive or discriminative towards them, but anyways, at least one attempt is necessary for each sh*t one comes up with in a lifetime.

The concept is that one who participates in "Ars Mappoetica" should create a map that somehow represents his nickname on the Doomworld Forums. Here comes both offensive and discriminative: offensive because someone would find it embarrassing to represent themselves in a map and discriminative because there are nicknames that can't be - or at most it can be with an extreme association which needs further knowledge - represented in something DooM mapped.

I'm going to leave it to you to decide whether it's worth be kicked off or not. I'm pretty sure there are still several CP's and solo projects under development in the meantime (I personally have 2 and 6 due), but even if it fails to become a success,
I'll still release something implemented in a Doom map which is a representative of the term "Cell" by my 22nd birthday, nov 12th.

And now I gotta work on it myself.

I guess my map would just have to be vanilla and maybe avoid modern or even post IWAD design tropes. If avatars are part of the theme it would have to have some sort of blur sphere gimmick too.

I guess mine would be based on the North American city but fucked up in some way since it is misspelled?

Interesting idea.

If you really wanted to make it interesting... get a group of people to apply, then randomly assign names to map. So Cell would get to make a map named "purist", purist would get to make a map based on "Primeval", etc.

Would need to get a fair amount of people, though, and runs the problem of people taking forever or dropping out (then leaving other people without getting to see 'their' named map in action)

Certainly is a bit discriminatory though, not sure how you would make maps off certain names (such as those that are just real-life names, or something like 'gggmork' or 'dobu gabu maru').

A science-fiction theme? I find it too broad of an instruction.

The concept alone sounds interesting, but I can imagine a lot of abstract / vague / weird maps would arise from most usernames. IMHO the idea is not suitable enough for an organized project, if you want it to turn out well received - at least, there are much better out there. I see it as a good idea for some "mapping from boredom", though. I won't participate myself probably, but good luck.

Serve for me as excuse that the first person I involved into this terrible idea was mouldy.

Well, since the "MFG" part of my nickname is abbreviated from "Mad Finnish Gamer", I think it would have to be a slaughtermap. And the counts of each monster would be in multiples of 38.

Welp.

Actually I always thought "Demon of the Well" would make a cool title/concpet for a map, too bad DotW doesn't map at all.

An interesting idea, but like Kyka, I'm not exactly sure what mine would be. :P

I could probably base something around my avatar though.

Guest Unregistered account

I have no idea how I'm going to contribute to this. A heapload of marine-head Chaingunners, maybe?

Cacowad said:

YOU wanted it, YOU got it.

https://www.mediafire.com/?myt6h5rvbilyoai

i don't even know if it is possile to beat without cheats, but hey.

You really did some job there man. :D Even ZDoom couldn't stand after like eight thousand reproductions of the "flash caco". :D

Yay, I get to shoot x-ray beams at players' faces! :D

Or I suppose I could make the interior of a computer housed in a certain line of chassis..es. Damn, that's a hard word to pluralize.

Xaser said:

Yay, I get to shoot x-ray beams at players' faces! :D

Or I suppose I could make the interior of a computer housed in a certain line of chassis..es. Damn, that's a hard word to pluralize.

Doomguy must invade XaserCorp to learn its secrets.