Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yuki Senmatsu

When did you start making maps and what was your very first map you've made?

Hi.

Just something to post.

I first started on September 26th, 2012 and my first map was Omega.Wad (AKA Real1st.wad as a extra when I released SinEnhan).

So what about you guys? When did you start?

In 2006 (around September I think) I installed Debian on my PC just to try out that mysterious Linux thing. There was a program called Aptitude if I remember correctly, basically it was a noob-friendly tool for installing "packages". There were various categories, of course the first one I checked was "Games". Among other things I found some Doom packages including Yadex, an old level editor. On that day I made my first map, I don't have it anymore but here is my attempt at recreating it, I believe it's pretty close to the original: link.

In a way it's unfortunate that I found Yadex because years later it caused me to spend way too much time on making lots of needless mediocre levels. It was pretty stupid but at least I realize that now, and I'm not 60 years old yet so hopefully I still have some time that I can spend more wisely.

Late 2011, this crap. Warning: Extreme dis-empathy with players, jumping and crouching required, some secrets require jumping over monster heads AND foreknowledge, some rooms let the player wait half a minute just "for fun", impossibly low resources on later maps, ugliness etc. But that's how I got into mapping back then, I've enjoyed the "creation".

Around early to mid 2012 I bought Doom II on the Id Software website and downloaded Doom Builder: I'd always thought it'd be cool to make my own levels and I'd dreamed up quite a few fantastical ideas over the years. It just snowballed from there really. As for my first map? I'll keep that under wraps for now. :P

I've always wanted to make maps for doom, but the only problem is that i din't know anything about it.

My first map belive it or not, was a doom 2 remake with all maps redesigned more gothic and every episode connected with each other (giant maps). The name was Doom 2 My Way and it is not going to see the light of day EVER!!!! (It was a crappy attempt and i already deleted it).

KevinHEZ said:

I've always wanted to make maps for doom, but the only problem is that i din't know anything about it.

My first map belive it or not, was a doom 2 remake with all maps redesigned more gothic and every episode connected with each other (giant maps). The name was Doom 2 My Way and it is not going to see the light of day EVER!!!! (It was a crappy attempt and i already deleted it).

Well bugger.
I would've been interested, but oh well.

Omegalore said:

Well bugger.
I would've been interested, but oh well.

Some parts were overdetailed and others underdetailed, it was a mess, you world probably hate it.

KevinHEZ said:

Some parts were overdetailed and others underdetailed, it was a mess, you world probably hate it.

Probably not as much as mine. Mine was a mess in general.

Whew let's see. I started around November 2011 (I think) and started a pretty ambitious GZDoom project. I only ever completed a single map and started a second, and learned a lot aobut ACS scripting, Decorate, and how not to make a map for GZDoom. I can surely say I went overkill on adding in weaponry and items from Realm667 that I found interesting. On the plus side, I was pretty damn proud of how well that single map turned out. I never released it.

My kickstart was in June 2009, possibly the 19th. I started with a very tutorial-like map which had a shape "T" with the start door at the end of the rightmost place of the T and the exit door in the middle of the T's vertical line's right side. Also, just right to the very-beginning, a secret/ambush alcove separated with a STARBR2 texture to stand out of the STARTAN section. This map itself didn't live long as a separate one, but 4 years later I've remade it as my WIP, Doomep47's E1M2.

Here it is, the 2013 version. Later it was given things and had the Shotgun replaced by a Box of Ammo pickup, but nothing else was changed.

Speaking of which, it happened just after my second map. I was willing to do something that reminded one A LOT of E1M6, but somehow it disappeared from all my drive. After taking this loss into consideration came the thought that I do have a sketchbook from back 2005, when I actually drew maps after inspiration. It took me quite a while to find it, but here we came, in late June, I've started my very first Doom map to be completed in about a month. It looked horrid and had about one tad or two gimmicks for which most talented mappers would laugh me directly in the face. For example, I didn't actually know to create non-playable "isle" areas, so I just made sectors pitch black and lowered their ceiling down to the floor (which would have, if tested ingame, resulted in almost all doors not working properly, their ceiling jumping to 4 mappixels below lowest point instead). Oh, having mentioned playtesting: I wasn't aware of the methods of testing either, so with this freshly-finished map, E4M1, I've brutally overwritten UD's original E4M1 (in 2005, I didn't know that UD existed, so I made Doomep47's sketches in the soul of Doom having only 3 episodes, imagining episodes from four to seven in the process, hence the name), only to find out that not only I've removed the iwad tag from poor unfortunate Ultimate Doom.wad, but also my map can't be played if the original game is launched. About half-a-year later did I actually find out how it works, with the help of the ZDoom port, the only one I use till nowadays. When I saw how all this shit looks like and plays, I decided to do it a makeover, but I couldn't decide it strongly enough till a day in May 2012, when I almost completely redone the worthless bullshit into a brand new-looking, purist Ultimate Doom map.

In the 2009 version, this room was just a dark SHAWN2-FLAT23 combo shit having numerous misalignments - yes, even SHAWN2 can have that - and only the right floor panel installed (and the window of course). This is the post-May 2012 state of the map, which was still quite unfinished. More images of the map here.

My first and now completely renovated map now occupies the slot E2M2 in Doomep47.wad, my earliest project from the year 2009, still up to date.

Omegalore said:

Hi.

Just something to post.

I first started on September 26th, 2012 and my first map was Omega.Wad (AKA Real1st.wad as a extra when I released SinEnhan).

So what about you guys? When did you start?

Speaking about sinEnhan, when are you planing to release it? When I played it look pretty complete.

Doominator2 said:

Speaking about sinEnhan, when are you planing to release it? When I played it look pretty complete.

It has been released recently. However, things have not been doing too good. I just don't understand why it's failing miserably. Ah Bugger!

If you were wondering if I fixed that bug where you load it takes a while, sorry. Most big maps do that. Reason I made it a big map, 666 monsters. You know? A clever touch?

I've also did some updating thanks to other beta testers.

I made my first map at the end of 1994. It's typically 1994, has a key needed to progress in a secret and uses just shareware textures/monsters, because that's all I had at the time. It's bad and I love it, because BROWNHUG.

2001-ish, using DeepSea. Never finished it, and I had a really hard time grasping Doom mapping at the time, coming from Half-Life/Worldcraft which was a lot more intuitive to me. I didn't really figure out what I was doing until the first Doom Builder was released, and I didn't start mapping regularly/releasing until I registered here.

I started in 2008. The first "proper" wad I made was named NuclearWasteRefinement.wad, which later, with a few modifications, became the first map of Prayers of Armageddon (pray666.wad).

My first map was in 1997. I was 13 years old. I had bought the 3D Alchemy book and read the entire thing. After a few short test maps I began working on a 'compound' level themed after Aliens the movie. It was a large square outdoor area enclosed by a large wall with a few buildings in the center. Inside the main building, the layout kind of meandered and the level as a whole didn't have a very clear progression. It did, however, have an 'airport communication' tower in the far corner of the compound.

After that I made a dozen other 'levels' and actually moved on to mapping for Duke Nukem because I found it easier. After about two years and roughly 30 levels I put mapping down mapping for 13 years. I was 15 then. I have no evidence of any of these early Doom or Duke Nukem level sets. I only recently began mapping again in 2012 after finding Doomworld.

the first wad I released was pier.wad, but that wasn't the first one I made!

believe it or not, the very first wad I made was a jokemap, and it eventually saw its release in WOOO 2. I made it about fourteen or so months ago (before I registered), and it was a maze of voodoo dolls, with zombiemen at the end shooting them. I think it's MAP14 or something in WOOO 2.

Alright, kiddos, let Grampa Lutz tell you how we did it in the old days...

I first started mapping in late 1995 with DEU (and shortly thereafter, WinDEU). My first proper map was basically a lava-pit jumping puzzle, and as you might expect, sucked badly. My second level was a meandering indoor Hell structure that eventually got reworked into E3M2 of Inferno.

Since we didn't have the internet at home when I started mapping (HOLY SHIT -- I AM OLD ENOUGH THAT WE DIDN'T HAVE THE INTERNET AT HOME WHEN I STARTED MAPPING!), I was basically trying to figure out everything by myself, and can vividly remember the joy I felt at "discovering" that the grid option showed you how the flats were going to tile. Good times.

My first map that wasn't an edited doom 2 level was the first map of the 100th wave megawad which consists mostly of my first maps made in 2011. Somewhere in the meantime I made a DMP2012 contribution (map12 I think) which was my first map uploaded.

1996, some large DM maps for me, naz and jay to play during lunch.
All the big items were on platforms with slow lifts. Ugly and hectic.

Started making maps for the source engine. My very first map was a little box with some fake buildings and a force field, as well as an NPC Scanner

Back in 1997 or 1998. I build a large room with a room inside, including one door which doesn´t worked at all. I used deu (DOS) for this.

My first steps using deu was doing some "modifying" on E1M8... :O

I don't have it anymore, but mine was a small techbase (read: STARGRAY) maze with a Cybie in it. Completely forgettable.

Then a few years later I played Doom64 ...

SPIDERS.wad was my first. I did Nuts.wad years before it was released.

DD2.wad was the second level I made; it was supposed to be a deathmatch level, because for some reason I thought people would enjoy running around in a pitch black room unable to see each other.

I still have a couple of other WADs (somewhere) that I made years ago that I'll probably never release.