Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Teleportation comes in real life

Australian scientists claim teleporting success

A team of physicists at the Australian National University (ANU) announced on Monday they had successfully disembodied a laser beam in one location and rebuilt it in a different spot about one meter away in the blink of an eye.

Project leader Dr. Ping Koy Lam said there was a close resemblance between what his team had achieved and the movement of people in the science fiction series Star Trek but reality was still light years off beaming human beings between locations.

"In theory there is nothing stopping us from doing it but the complexity of the problem is so huge that no one is thinking seriously about it at the moment," Lam told a news conference.

However Lam said science was not too far from being able to teleport solid matter from one location to another.

"My prediction is...it will probably be done by someone in the next three to five years, that is the teleportation of a single atom," said Lam, who has worked on teleporting since 1997.

Un-realllllllllllllllllllllllllll!

Just as long as they're careful, and demons dont suddenly start materialising...
:P

I wish they'd hurry it along, I need to go buy Mountain Dew in the States..

Pritch, I'll make you a trade: Mountain Dew for Fruit Pastilles?

Archvile64 said:

Pritch, I'll make you a trade: Mountain Dew for Fruit Pastilles?

Heh yeah, two tubes a Dew can. How do we get round shipping? Fancy a vacation?

Dude, teleports in real life (tm) would kick major ass!
But the bad thing about it would be:
1. they could be used for devious purposes
2. they might malfunction, meaning half of you would teleport and the other half wouldn't
3. demons from Hell might use them for their own evil intentions :)
4. some other person might occupy the particular space you're going to teleport to, and thus you'd be telefragged :P

Seriously, I would love to have my own personal teleport some day. :-)

Heh yeah, two tubes a Dew can. How do we get round shipping? Fancy a vacation?

The royal mail is fairly cheap- or is that consignia

Jon said:

The royal mail is fairly cheap- or is that consignia

Heh, only those of us that live here could understand how truly retarded that whole saga has been.

DooMBoy said:

3. demons from Hell might use them for their own evil intentions :)

i wish that would happen for one day, so i could fight them. :D

Yay! teleportation! I'll bet it tingles and stuff.

/me teleports

hey! it DID tingle!
Whoops, my ass is on backwards.
and my major organs are upside down.

The majority of us would use them like Homer did when he had 2 teleporters, to save going upstairs for a piss

I'd teleport you all into space and watch you decompress from the safty of my spacepod (which will also be invented by the time they perfect teleportation).

No! Scratch that! I'd telefrag people I didn't like and teleport all the money out of their wallets.

Teleportation is going to be the best. The secret to surviving is to teleport all over the place and not stop ever so people can't telefrag you.

right now i am actualy watching something about a supposed ww2 US Navy experiment to teleport ships. this was called the philedelphia experiment. i dunno, its worth a look, if your interested in teleportation. there are websites about it, and its on the history channel, if u get it.

It was a film, it isn't real :)

Allegedly, in the fall of 1943 a U.S. Navy destroyer was made invisible and teleported from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to Norfolk, Virginia, in an incident known as the Philadelphia Experiment. Records in the Operational Archives Branch of the Naval Historical Center have been repeatedly searched, but no documents have been located which confirm the event, or any interest by the Navy in attempting such an achievement

the movie is based on the legend of these "true" experiments. i am not saying its true, but its just a movie or a book (well it is false if it didnt realy happen of course :\)

Hrm. The notion of teleportation and having my body torn into its component quarks and reassembled some distance away is just a little too unsettling for me. Too many worries about what, if anything, really comes out the other side.

Still, my fear is better than my roommate's take on the whole Star Trek technology.

Oh shit, Doom's goin' to be real :-P

I wonder if they would set up teleporters on other planets in the solar system (planets where humans can survive with a spacesuit), so that NASA will have less trouble conducting their investigations of stuff there.

The article mentions that the teleportation of a single atom should be a relatively simple task. I wonder how difficult it would be to teleport small objects, consisting of a couple of billion atoms. Imagine having a teleport device aboard the international space station. Small instruments and goods are beamed aboard in the blink of an eye. Waste is easily disposed. Certainly a lot easier then launching a shuttle. Now that I think of it. We should beam the radioactive waste of nuclear powerplants into space. One atom at the time if necessary. Even if the transportation of humans appear impossible, the possibilities of this technology are still endless.

Arno said:

The article mentions that the teleportation of a single atom should be a relatively simple task. I wonder how difficult it would be to teleport small objects, consisting of a couple of billion atoms. Imagine having a teleport device aboard the international space station. Small instruments and goods are beamed aboard in the blink of an eye. Waste is easily disposed. Certainly a lot easier then launching a shuttle. Now that I think of it. We should beam the radioactive waste of nuclear powerplants into space. One atom at the time if necessary. Even if the transportation of humans appear impossible, the possibilities of this technology are still endless.

We could telefrag King REoL!

What happens if it goes wrong... if telefragging doesn't work and your atoms get merged with fiffy's to become a half-Maonth half-REoL hybrid? A bit like Jeff Goldblum in The Fly?

*shudders*

Teleportation would be awesome, but would have it's set backs...for exmaple, what some people said, half of you might only come through etc etc...but there would have to be numerous safeguards put in place...to prevent a telefrag (even though that would most likely not happen (well it could but hey))...I wonder how the laser was teleported? I don't think they converted the matter into energy (ahem a-bomb (BANG)), so I only wonder...

They would definetely have to safeguard to prevent numerousother things as well, like the "my ass is up side down" problem or the "oh no I have had a sex change" problem. And I would imagine only one life form would be able to teleport at one time (the fly thing AHHHHHH that would suck)...

So yeah this concept is pretty exciting, and guess what? It was an experiment done by AUSSIES! YAY! Not. :P

gatewatcher said:

right now i am actualy watching something about a supposed ww2 US Navy experiment to teleport ships. this was called the philedelphia experiment. i dunno, its worth a look, if your interested in teleportation. there are websites about it, and its on the history channel, if u get it.

And then some guys made it into the lame plot of Red Alert.

Atoms are completely different to photons. Photons can behave as waves, particles and are very easy to create - basically requiring an emission of energy. I highly doubt that atoms of any sort can be created at will using any device.