Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Afterglow

Bug: stairbuilder switch triggering multiple sectors

My map runs fine in the latest versions of GZDoom, Doomsday, and PrBoom+.

Were there changes in MBF/Eternity that would cause issues with linedef type 127 [S1 Stairs Raise by 16 (fast)] being used on multiple target sectors?

It's used on three starting sectors, all with a different number of intermediate step sectors and height levels. In Eternity Engine 3.40.46 two of the stairs build fine but the third one's floor levels aren't altered. I copy and pasted those stairs standalone to another WAD and it built fine so the directions of my sidedefs and positioning of linedefs aren't the problem.

The problem starting sector is the one of the three with the lowest sector number.

I guess you can closely troubleshoot when I release the actual level sometime this decade.

Afterglow said:

My map runs fine in the latest versions of GZDoom, Doomsday, and PrBoom+.

Were there changes in MBF/Eternity that would cause issues with linedef type 127 [S1 Stairs Raise by 16 (fast)] being used on multiple target sectors?

It's used on three starting sectors, all with a different number of intermediate step sectors and height levels. In Eternity Engine 3.40.46 two of the stairs build fine but the third one's floor levels aren't altered. I copy and pasted those stairs standalone to another WAD and it built fine so the directions of my sidedefs and positioning of linedefs aren't the problem.

The problem starting sector is the one of the three with the lowest sector number.

I guess you can closely troubleshoot when I release the actual level sometime this decade.

Is comp_stairs on or off is my first question.

Quasar said:

Is comp_stairs on or off is my first question.

It was enabled. After disabling in base\doom2\eternity.cfg, the faulty behaviour is the same.

Further testing, I realized there were actually _five_ starting sectors being triggered and only _three_ were working. I merged two together (they were enemy-teleporter dummy sectors off-map) but still only 3 of 4 were working. When I created a new switch with a different tag number for the problem stairs, that set then began working.

So maybe there's a limit of three stairs per trigger?

Afterglow said:

Further testing, I realized there were actually _five_ starting sectors being triggered and only _three_ were working. I merged two together (they were enemy-teleporter dummy sectors off-map) but still only 3 of 4 were working. When I created a new switch with a different tag number for the problem stairs, that set then began working.

So maybe there's a limit of three stairs per trigger?

I'll have to diff EE's stairs against PrBoom+'s I guess. There is not a consciously implemented limit on stairs during triggering, but this code DOES have a particularly violent compatibility history; Lee Killough butchered it in MBF for one thing. BOOM probably never should have messed with it in the first place - if they wanted "stairs that work better," those could have been an entirely new kind of line action that didn't interfere with the vanilla behavior. Short-sighted implementation == pain for the rest of time.

Quasar said:

I'll have to diff EE's stairs against PrBoom+'s I guess. There is not a consciously implemented limit on stairs during triggering, but this code DOES have a particularly violent compatibility history; Lee Killough butchered it in MBF for one thing. BOOM probably never should have messed with it in the first place - if they wanted "stairs that work better," those could have been an entirely new kind of line action that didn't interfere with the vanilla behavior. Short-sighted implementation == pain for the rest of time.

I don't think eternity.cfg with comp_stairs changes was being read as when I manually went into the menu system and set:

Use Doom Stairbuilding Method: No

All stairs did work.