Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duckkickergames

Corners: A Twisted Mod

So I've finally gotten around to finishing a project of mine called Corners. It basically consists of 8 twisting and turning levels of running through hallways trying to find the exit, all while blasting everything in sight with what limited ammo you are given. This replaces all of Chapter 1 for Ultimate Doom, and is vanilla-doom compatible. The download link can be found here:

https://www.mediafire.com/?lc9gw9l8wbwk92g

As always, comments are accepted, compliments are appreciated, and complaints are acknowledged. Enjoy!

duckkickergames said:

Apparently I'm new enough here that they won't let me post photos yet.

Wads&Mods forum doesn't allow anyone to use attachment. You should create an account at a photo sharing site such as imgur.com, upload your pictures there, and post (possibly thumbnailed) direct links in [img] tags, or [url] tags for too large images. Everyone does it this way.

As for the mod, honestly, it's rather "meh", because the unprofessionality here is way too obvious. For most of the time, there's a single texture, single flat, constant height of 128 units, orthogonal corridors 64-units wide, either cramped mazes (without a map!) or a single linear path, solid walls shootable through (!), too short and simple structure for any single map, idealess and very non-threatening fights (specially when pinkies/spectres can't navigate corridors / climb stairs etc.). That's not good, gets boring and/or annoying quickly. Gameplay is plain easy, but on the other hand, E1M6 is unfair on the first try, because Barons are likely to enclose you without warning if you don't know what's going to happen. I couldn't even escape E1M8. The only two good things about the whole mapset are that 1) it's playable, and 2) it's short enough to keep player's motivation to continue (as there is practically nothing else to motivate him to continue).

Good maps take advantage of engine possibilities (heights, shapes, texturing, lighting) and enemy characteristics to create an effective challenge and level design enjoyable to explore. What you did seems like the very most basic and lazy way how to make design. It's understandable for beginner's work, though. I'm not telling this to you to piss you off, only being honest to you so that you can realize your mistakes. I can recommend you to look at other people's works to see how a better mapping goes and get inspired. Good luck.

scifista42 said:

As for the mod, honestly, it's rather "meh", because the unprofessionality here is way too obvious. For most of the time, there's a single texture, single flat, constant height of 128 units, orthogonal corridors 64-units wide, either cramped mazes (without a map!) or a single linear path, solid walls shootable through (!), too short and simple structure for any single map, idealess and very non-threatening fights (specially when pinkies/spectres can't navigate corridors / climb stairs etc.). That's not good, gets boring and/or annoying quickly. Gameplay is plain easy, but on the other hand, E1M6 is unfair on the first try, because Barons are likely to enclose you without warning if you don't know what's going to happen. I couldn't even escape E1M8. The only two good things about the whole mapset are that 1) it's playable, and 2) it's short enough to keep player's motivation to continue (as there is practically nothing else to motivate him to continue).

Good maps take advantage of engine possibilities (heights, shapes, texturing, lighting) and enemy characteristics to create an effective challenge and level design enjoyable to explore. What you did seems like the very most basic and lazy way how to make design. It's understandable for beginner's work, though. I'm not telling this to you to piss you off, only being honest to you so that you can realize your mistakes. I can recommend you to look at other people's works to see how a better mapping goes and get inspired. Good luck.

Thank you for the feedback on my mod. I intend to alter it so as to make for a more enjoyable playing experience.