Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Non-doom game with the most prolific modding community?

Doesn't have to be a fps. I can't think of one that has nearly the amount if fan-made content. Skyrim maybe? Something older? Afaik quake and half life mods didn't even have 10% of the modding community that doom had/has.

Don't we have 8 of these topics?

Elder Scrolls
Quake
TF2 / L4D / HL2
Unreal

"Total maps made" is probably a lousy ranking system, considering how much longer it takes to produce content for a newer engine. Even "total hours spent modding by the community" might not be fair if you consider changes in the size of the overall gaming population. This also favours older games that have had more time to develop and preserve a community - Doom modding only really gained momentum once the tools were developed after a couple years. "Total hours spent modding divided by total owners of that game" would favour some unknown indie game with one really, really obsessed fan. "Total hours spent modding divided by number of frequent gamers at time of the game's release" also disadvantages modern games because more demographics have entered the gaming scene in the last decade who are less likely to get into modding (eg. Wii Sports kids and Bejeweled moms). There's also the problem that nowadays there are way more moddable games to split the attention of modders while in Doom's heydey it was pretty much the only engine you would bother with.

Do any statisticians in the crowd have a better metric? This is serious business.

Sanic and Mayro and Cavern Stoeis and Wruck and Deem and Quack and MinCroft and Skyrom and all them thingies and such and yes

Coopersville said:

Wait a minute, that thread.

I couldn't find that one where I said Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

Is it still active? I thought it finally died right when Jedi Outcast finally died a few years back (2007 or 2008ish)