Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jewellds

AGM logo uses Doom font.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, here, but I've noticed a non-free font in some of the Freedoom textures.

Most textures featuring the "AGM" logo are using the Doom font, which can be found online in a few places, such as http://www.dafont.com/doom.font.

I looked through and the following images seem to use the non-free font:

/patches/catoptromancy/:
agm.gif, agm_grn.gif, doslvr21.gif, doslvr22.gif, doslvr23.gif, doslvr24.gif, dospi1b.gif, dospi2b.gif, dospi3b.gif, dospi4b.gif, dotntdr.gif, dowebl.gif, dowebr.gif, dowindow.gif, mtnt2.gif, pivy3.gif, yeltnt.gif

/patches/cph/:
comp1b_4.gif

/patches/espi/:
cyl1_1.gif, door2_1.gif, t14_3.gif

The following TNT placeholders are also affected (in /patches/catoptromancy/):
carllf1.gif. carllf2.gif, carlrt1.gif, carlrt2.gif, cavern1.gif, cavern4.gif, cavern6.gif, cavern7.gif, dopunk4.gif, pston2.gif, tywheel1.gif, placeholder.gif

Not blaming the contributors mentioned above, btw. Just showing where the files are stored. :)

I've adapted Mechadon's new HUD font to make a "kosher" version of one of the textures. If people like this, I'll happily do the others. :D

Edit:
Posted issue on Github

The font's license is stored in the .ttf file. "FREEWARE:only for personal use (eg:webpages), not for commerical use!! I MEAN THAT!"

Unless I'm mistaken, this is incompatible with Freedoom's license, which permits commercial usage.

Screenshot of the font in the Windows font viewer, showing the licence:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/268/3/7/doom_font_licence_by_jewellds-d80ia4e.png

Edit: The word "commercial" was probably the wrong choice, as it's a freeware font, so I've edited my original post a bit for clarity :P

I don't think it's a commercial font or made by Id and it's probably fine in that regard. However I'd still like to see it replaced. Freedoom should do its own thing and not use Doom's font, official or not.

This dates to the early days of the project, when we were less careful and thoughtful about this kind of thing.

I'm guessing this issue is to have immediate priority, and the moment the issue is fixed, a new stable release will be...released immediately, with the github history purged of everything before that point.

That sounds like an excessive overreaction to me. We should certainly fix the issue, and hopefully there will be a new release in the not-too-distant future. But I don't see any reason to purge the Git history. This isn't anything like past copyright infringements where we absolutely had to remove infringing material. It's just a bad choice of font, and I'm not even convinced it infringes on any copyright.

For reference, I'm pretty sure this is using the TTF Doom font. Because TTF is vectorized, this is something that has been made entirely by fans, inspired by the font from the game.

Jewellds said:

I've adapted Mechadon's new HUD font to make a "kosher" version of one of the textures. If people like this, I'll happily do the others. :D

Thanks for doing this; what would be better is if you could make a grayscale/ transparent overlay with the new logo/lettering. If I remember correctly that's what we did with the original "Doom font" version of the logo; it means that we can easily apply it to all the textures that use it.

Danfun64 said:

github history purged of everything before that point.

"not for commerical use"

This will make an interesting discussion. Freedoom itself is not commercial, but if this font is used in something commercial, the license would be violated. Technically freedoom is clear, but anyone using freedoom commercially is violating the license. The "not for commerical use" license does not conflict with freedoom's license directly but adds that requirement to it.

We should release as soon as possible. The linux distros should have a clean copy, though freedoom itself does not need a purge.

Jewellds said:

This looks bad because the angles of the font clash with the curves of the infinity symbol. Ideally the infinity symbol should be "mekadonized" too.

Yea I agree with Gez. The font kinda clashes with the curvy infinity symbol. I dunno if I could make a angle-y version without it looking dumb though...

*edit*

Here are a couple of really quick concepts, in case anyone is interested.

I am pretty sure that infinity logo is also used from somewhere else. Something similar and original would be most excellent. Will probably turn our better if it did not try to match the font.

Mechadon said:

Yea I agree with Gez. The font kinda clashes with the curvy infinity symbol. I dunno if I could make a angle-y version without it looking dumb though...

*edit*

Here are a couple of really quick concepts, in case anyone is interested.

I just gotta say that the straight edged one looks way too much like the logo for Visual Studio 2012 :P

Taking on board Gez and Mechadon's suggestions, I've tried a more rounded version of the font

And here's the door in the squared and rounded styles. Let me know what you think :)

fraggle said:
what would be better is if you could make a grayscale/ transparent overlay with the new logo/lettering.

I drew the logo in a vector graphics program, so I can provide overlays. :)

I prefer the rounded. The severe angle cutoff fonts suffer the same problems as these usually do, too much distortion and the glyphs do not fill their letter positions.

The 'A' really needs some legs, even if they are only 1 pixel. It starts to look like some other kind of symbol. Only when the reader already knows what is being spelled could they figure out what character it is. In some uses that is not going to work out.

The 'A' crossbar could have similar height to the G crossbar, or the legs of the 'A' could be similar to the 'M' legs.
For example, a low 'A' and a high 'M' would be disharmony.

The angle cutoff 'A' look likes a Greek Delta, the rounded version
looks like a D that fell over, or a little hill, or a small mound.

The smoother letters definitely look better against the curvy infinity symbol, but I agree with raymoohawk in that I prefer the delta-style A. Good work so far Jewellds :)

Honestly, I like that A you picked. The "delta-style A" doesn't work as well IMO. You can't even tell its an A.

Jewellds said:

This looks good and I'm happy to commit this as-is.

However, while we're on the subject, I'm really kind of uncomfortable with this particular door texture in general and I'd quite like to see it replaced with something that isn't such an obvious copy of the original Doom DOOR2_1. Same goes for DOOR2_5. Anyone interested in making replacements for these textures?

Great work, and that was quicker than I hoped for! Care to try doing something similar for DOOR2_5 as well?

Those characters look very readable, which is most important for a general use font. Strange font shapes are only good for a title on a party flyer.

That is a much better door than the previous ones.

You can mess with the AGM on the door, as long as it does not affect the general use font. You could make the door a double wide texture with a second door next to the first. On the second door you could put some kind of kanji like symbols (entirely made up), or one of those
2d Bar codes (a box containing squares, narrow bars, and dots), or some kind of alien characters to stand for the AGM, or even make an AGM with glyphs that are distorted so they overlap.

Glad people like it. :) I'll be happy to try and do DOOR2_5 as well.

wesleyjohnson said:
You could make the door a double wide texture with a second door next to the first.

Nice idea, but this would break the door's TEXTURE lump entry, as it uses brushed aluminium patches to widen the door. This could be done as an additional texture, but I think I'll prioritise on stock textures for now. :)

Here's my take on DOOR2_5:

And a very, very minor tweak to CYL1_1, as my letter spacing was off slightly from the original texture, which was causing the start room on MAP01 to look ugly.

Here's a wad for people who want to give these a try: http://sta.sh/02alsq3tfce4

Those doors are better than the ones we have, as well the rounded font, in my opinion i think both the doors and the font should replace the current font and doors.