Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Realm667 needs your help!

The long version of events can be found here, but the tl;dr version is that Realm667 has been hacked one too many times, and if Tormentor can't get together enough cash to get an upgrade, both R667 and his business homepage will be closed down. Here's hoping the Doom community can scrape together enough money to help out.

This is going to break a lot of WADs on /idgames/ that point to R667 as the external resources for their uploaded content.

Just donated $10. R667 is too much a staple in the community to lose.

Good news! We already met 87% of our goal! Thanks kindly to all of you donators! Only a few bucks left to go!
(btw. everything that's more than $1.400 will be directly invested into the Realm667, especially for technical additions or hosting costs, I won't keep it in my own pocket!)

Omegalore said:

Do I need Paypal or something? :/

Yes. If you don't have an account, you'll have the option of creating one after clicking on the "Donate" button.

Memfis said:

Who are these people that donated? :) We know most modern doomers by nickname only.

I unfortunately only can see their realnames with which they are registered on PayPal. If someone wants to clear things up, I'd be happy to post their nickname just to make sure people know who saved the Realm667 :)

Having just discovered your website, and judging it to be most awesome, I was startled by the possibility of its imminent demise. I just donated a few hours ago but I don't see my name on your list.

Theoretically, if a person were to want to substitute their on line moniker for their given name on this list, how would they go about arranging that with you?

Nihlith said:

Theoretically, if a person were to want to substitute their on line moniker for their given name on this list, how would they go about arranging that with you?

One option would be to attach a message to the PayPal payment (wish I'd thought of that earlier), or you can send a private message through the forums.

Nihlith said:

I just donated a few hours ago but I don't see my name on your list.

I am currently on the road for a business project (photoshooting for a big company) and will be back on sunday evening. Until then I can't update the list or check the latest payments - but thanks already for your kind support :)

(Excerpt from the page:)

GOODBYE? FUCK YOU!
REALM667 WILL BE BACK SOON!

Damnit, that was quick! The crowdfunding was running for two days and we already met the requirements! First of all, thanks to anyone spreading the words and especially thanks to everyone donating some money. The goal of $ 1.400 was easily reached with your help and now it's time for the programmer and webdeveloper to do his job. I will report back here as soon as there is some progress from his site and keep you informed about anything that is happening in the background. The estimated time until the Realm667 is back online will be about 2-4 weeks according to his shedule, but that's already promising considering the amount of work that has to be done. What happens to the $ 392 beyond the goal? I have already been told that in some places, a paid component or module for Joomla might be a better solution compared to the free variants we have been using in the past. With this extra money, we will be able to improve the system to the max and maybe add additional features. So if there is anything you ever wanted to have at the Realm667, just let me know and I will forward the requests to the web developer. Thanks again to all of you, your help is impressive and it saved the Realm667!

Wow that was fast. Fixed before I could even read the thread. Am I reading that right? $1,400? That seems like a lot.

40oz said:

Wow that was fast. Fixed before I could even read the thread. Am I reading that right? $1,400? That seems like a lot.

I am working in the media industry and actually $1,400 isn't that much at all considering the sheer size and amount of data involved (and the bad condition of the old page). Rebuilding the page from the ground would be almost as expensive as migrating the stuff, but official prices are around $2,500 - $3,500 depending on the programmer or media agency doing that.

Consider: This is a project that takes between 30-40 hours of work, about $100-$150 per hour plus taxes. With a total of $1,400 we are actually having a quite cheap project compared to other similar charges.

In case people don't believe me, feel free to ask for real offers from various online media agencys :)

By the time I heard about the news, the goal had already been reached.

Good luck Tormentor667! Your site has been so invaluable for so many of us, especially the repository.