Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

zdoom, quick way to respawn instead of restarting level?

I've been testing a few invasion wads with friendly AI lately and what irks me is that when I die I either have to bring down the console to resurrect or start a co-op game (which causes a lot of issues, namely the AI wads I'm using not behaving with skulltag et. al) - is there any way to quickly (and hopefully permanently) changing death behaviour to make me respawn instead of restart the level? (inb4 "bind space resurrect" :P)

You can start a co-op game in ZDoom, though, so I'm not sure what's the problem here?

And I'm not sure there's any way that's really quicker than binding a key to resurrect?

But if you want, you can use the buddha cheat code so as to be unkillable. Contrarily to god mode, you'll still take damage, so it's better to test how easy/hard some fights are, but you'll never get below 1% health.

Gez said:

You can start a co-op game in ZDoom, though, so I'm not sure what's the problem here?

Only via console command(s)?

Edward850 said:

ZDoom has never used the console to launch multiplayer games. It's still command line parameters, as was vanilla, just with slightly different commands.

Regarding console commands - and not wanting to start another topic - do console commands carry over to the next time one starts the zdoom exe? For example I wanted to disable translucency several times to test something and wasn't sure if there settings would be "remembered" but my instinct tells me that no, they are not, as that's more something to put in the autoload section of the ini.

invictius said:

Regarding console commands - and not wanting to start another topic - do console commands carry over to the next time one starts the zdoom exe? For example I wanted to disable translucency several times to test something and wasn't sure if there settings would be "remembered" but my instinct tells me that no, they are not, as that's more something to put in the autoload section of the ini.

Commands? No, as there is of course nothing to remember.
Variables, however, is probably what you meant, and it depends entirely on the variable. Practically every setting in ZDoom is a console variable.

R_drawtrans isn't saved deliberately as it's not actually a good idea to disable it, as transparency is generally assumed in most ZDoom features/mods/mapsets, and could make things look horrendous without it.
It also doesn't entirely switch it off anyway. Decals will always have it, as they are basically made of it.

scifista42 said:

Actually, what more do you want? :)

A free teleport back to a safe location, and the monsters that killed you to go back to sleep ;)

(Any other differences between co-op respawn and resurrect..?)