Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

High-fps, motion-blurred demos

The other day I came across https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Aqwougxj0I which is a speedrun of Plutonia rendered with motion blur. I was intrigued by the effect, but Googling around, I couldn't find any evidence that Dashiva had ever released the code for his PrBoom-plus mod.

I figured "how hard could it be?" and downloaded the source to try and reimplement it myself. Answer: a little harder than I thought, but I'm not much of a programmer. Anyways it seems to work soooo

(a pretty extreme example)

Basically I hacked the code to make the game run at a very high internal framerate in conjunction with -viddump, so I could output videos at 500fps or whatever, and then used an Avisynth script to produce the blur effect. Turns out 35*12 = 60*7 so it makes ending up with 60 fps pretty easy so long as you're willing to render it at 420 fps first. (Youtube supposedly supports 60 fps nowadays, but I don't know what sort of voodoo is required to actually utilize it.)

If you think it looks a little too blurry that's entirely a result of the Avisynth script I used, which basically simulates a 360-degree shutter, although nicely enough, if the video gets decimated to 30 fps by Youtube then it approximates the standard cinematic 180-degree shutter.

I'm curious if anyone would be interested in this to make their own neat-looking Youtubes or what have you. Again I'm not a programmer so I am sure it's a really messy hack but it seems to get the job done and I think it looks cool at least.

Wow, this looks neat. For some reason I'm reminded of playing the alien in Alien vs. Predator.

Anyways, this could be a cool gimmick to show off clean fast movement of a speedrun even if it looks plain and uneventful otherwise.

Latest version of PrBoom+ has a bunch of gl_motionblur settings in glboom-plus.cfg. It looks a little rough with the default settings, though I haven't tweaked them to see if they can be improved, but it definitely works. I guess maybe upping the -viddump framerate probably helps a lot.

Motion blur plus low FOV makes it almost look like you're playing a modern FPS! :p

plums said:

Latest version of PrBoom+ has a bunch of gl_motionblur settings in glboom-plus.cfg. It looks a little rough with the default settings, though I haven't tweaked them to see if they can be improved, but it definitely works.

Yeah, I had noticed that, but the results were not good, which is why I got to hacking instead. It appears to just do straight blending of frames, so you get ghosted images instead of a nice meaty blur.

Ah, ok, thought you probably would have tried it but you made no mention of it, so I wasn't sure.

I also decided to test another thought I had. Normal Doom demos are (obviously) 35fps, so when you record a video of one and upload it to Youtube, Youtube automatically converts it to 30fps, presumably by removing every 7th frame. I decided to try rendering a video at "true" 30 fps, which I did by using my hack to make a video at 420fps and then taking every 14th frame. This gives a clean 30fps where basically every frame is an interpolation between two tics.

It looks a little smoother than the normal way of doing things. Not terribly noticeable but maybe a little better to watch because the slight jerkiness is gone.

I'm not a programmer either. In fact, I probably know less about this whole thing than you do. It would be nice if you released this code and provided tutorials for this motion blur and super high framerate.

Yeah, I haven't touched it in a while. I need to clean it up before I feel comfortable putting it out there for people to use.