Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
waverider

Does the visual mode camera cause problems for any port if not removed?

As the header says, is it ok to leave any visual mode cameras in my maps when I finish them, or can the cameras cause any problems in any port if I leave them in?

It screws with vanilla, I know that much. Possibly Boom as well, although I think it just amounts to an "Unknown Object" error on the screen on startup and not much else.

Obsidian said:

It screws with vanilla, I know that much.

Even if the camera doesn't exist on any skill settings?
Plutonia map12 has an unknown object type 0 that exists on all skill settings and the game doesn't crash.

Guest Unregistered account

Memfis stated that:
Plutonia map12 has an unknown object type 0 that exists on all skill settings and the game doesn't crash.

What could that be? As far as we can tell, due to the Sector lighting and heights of their maps, they didn't use DoomEd and a few early editors tried to replicate a 3D view of maps. Maybe it was the 90's visual mode camera? :/

Memfis said:

Even if the camera doesn't exist on any skill settings?

Vanilla "ignores" this thing type vis-a-vis interpreting it as being a start for Player 0, which would effectively spawn player -1 internally (because player 1 is really player #0 internally).

IIRC some actual undefined behavior takes place when this object is spawned and some memory gets overwritten, but it seems to be inconsequential under DOS, at least.

Chocolate Doom has to add code to consciously ignore thing type 0 or else it crashes instead.

I think it's safe if they don't appear on any skill setting. Then they never get spawned and the engine doesn't need to figure out what they are.

If they aren't filtered out of possible existence, then it depends.

In ZDoom, there's an actor for them that's invisible and self-terminates instantly. In Eternity, there's a semi-transparent error marker that appears.

I can confirm that no ill behavior occurs in Vanilla Doom as long as the camera has all of its difficulty flags unchecked. Ditto for Chocolate Doom.