Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Unregistered account

What's wrong with this Heretic map?

Hi all, I'm currently developing my first-ever Heretic level. However, I'm getting a bit carried away with all the new features (the moss can be put to fantastic effect, and the ambient sounds are GENIUS) and I've run into some errors.

[Get the (old) file (with the
random-crash problem) here!]

So, my first query is that, whenever I look outside the starting cave in Chocolate Heretic, the game just exits with no error message whatsoever. A similar thing happened to me with Doom, and that was because I was using a multi-patch texture (or something) as a midtextureNEVER MIND, I FIXED IT SIMPLY BY REMOVING THE MIDTEXTURES

My second problem is a Sabreclaw in the bottom-right corner of the map. I want it to be pushed against a barrier which teleports the monster when lowered. However, I ran a quick test and it seems Sector-based effects don't work on monsters. Is there a way I can get the Sabreclaw to teleport when I want it to, without having to resort to Gasbags and crushers (I don't want it to be damaged, but it's not uber-important) or sound-activating? (I want its holler to alarm and alert the player that it's teleported in.)

Joe667 said:

Is there a way I can get the Sabreclaw to teleport when I want it to, without having to resort to Gasbags and crushers (I don't want it to be damaged, but it's not uber-important) or sound-activating? (I want its holler to alarm and alert the player that it's teleported in.)

I don't think so. Heretic's moving sector specials are nowhere near as versatile as Boom's.

One thing you might do for this map is to have the sabreclaw wake up by sight, by having an alcove behind some of the lavafalls that is hidden by a lavafall as midtexture. If he teleports as soon as he sees the player, his alert sound will still come from behind the player (I think).

Nice idea. As I want the Sabreclaw to teleport in when the Gauntlets are grabbed, I could block its sight with a half-open, soundblocking door, right?

Thanks a lot!

You'll have to figure out exactly how closed to make the door so that it blocks line of sight, but yeah that's the general idea.

Also yay more Heretic maps!