Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
obake

Custom palette help

I have created my own custom palette in a png format. I have looked up tutorials on how to create custom palettes using Slade 3, but for the life of me, I can't figure any of it out.

Instead of going through more stress, I will ask here if someone would be able to convert this png file into a palette file that can simply be loaded into Slade 3.

The file is here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/qoh8jvltdbxlunq/palette.png#

Thanks so much.

Your palette shouldn't have black borders if it's in PNG format. It should just be 16*16 blocks of colour, equal sized. I can fix it though, gimme a minute.

Not sure what your base image was, but you can export a PNG palette from a PLAYPAL lump in SLADE to work with.

edit: here you go! https://www.mediafire.com/?7i8p2msql7ts5xp

To remove the black borders I just resized the image to be 16x16 with no interpolation. Once that was done, the process was simple.

* Make a new wad in SLADE
* Go to Archive > New > Playpal, click OK on the dialog
* Right-click the PLAYPAL lump, select Palette > Import From
* Change filetype to png, find your file, import it.
* Right-click the PLAYPAL lump and choose Palette > Generate Palettes so that you get all the doom Pain/Item palettes.

The file you sent works.

However, I have tried making my own custom palettes with the instructions you have given, yet there are some problems.

Mainly, when I click on Archive > New, there is no PlayPal option available, only the options "Entry" and "Directory". Maybe I'm simply a doofus, but I have no idea what is going on. I have tinkered to and fro with every option I can think of, but to no avail.

Following the instructions you gave on editing, I created a new, more diverse palette. The first one was sort of a test. I created this new one thinking that I would be able to convert it myself, but have failed.

If you (or anyone) could kindly convert this one, too, I would be forever grateful.

Thanks again to you, Plums, and the Doomworld community altogether.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/ttbm95njc0n8cgc/zampal.png#

Are you using the latest SLADE (3.1.0) ?

Can you right-click an existing palette and choose Import From? That should be enough, if it works.

As for your new palette, it's 15x16, so you're missing some colours somewhere. It should be a square. Note that for SLADE the size of the square doesn't matter, e.g. 512x512 would be fine, as long as each square of colour is the same. (Actually I think you can use any arrangement of 256 colours, not sure. It's easiest if you keep it to a square though.)

If you're having trouble getting the template image, you can use this:

plums said:

(Actually I think you can use any arrangement of 256 colours, not sure. It's easiest if you keep it to a square though.)

IIRC the code only deals with squares. Also, the palette needs to be in row-major order, not column-major order. If you don't get what it means: index 1 is to the right of index 0, not below it. The Doom wiki has examples of both.

I know I'm close to getting it.

The picture you show has more options than what I get when I right-click. I don't get the "palette > import from" option at all.

I see you have an "M" symbol next to the "T" symbol in front of the bricks. I don't have the "M" symbol at all. Is that perhaps why I'm not getting these options?

Edit: I just noticed the wad file you included in your post. Thanks again for helping. I truly do appreciate it.

On another note, I downloaded that sky pack you made, the one that was featured on the Newstuff Chronicles. It's absolutely awesome! :D

I'm pretty sure you're using an old version of SLADE. You should upgrade.
http://slade.mancubus.net/

obake said:

On another note, I downloaded that sky pack you made, the one that was featured on the Newstuff Chronicles. It's absolutely awesome! :D

obake said:

I see you have an "M" symbol next to the "T" symbol in front of the bricks. I don't have the "M" symbol at all. Is that perhaps why I'm not getting these options?

The [M] icon in the toolbar is the map editor. If you don't have the map editor, you are a pre-3.1.x version.

You can update by getting the official version from the site or a devbuild here. (Devbuild has fixed some bugs and includes some half-finished improvement to the music playback.)