Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

A ranDOOM community project

This is the third time I'm trying to make a community project.

Rules:
-Only one place is allowed per map(pubs, houses, streets, lakes, canyons, ETCs)
-Only maps for Boom or less advanced.
-Any length is accepted(Just not too small, make it playable from first time in 20 seconds at least)
-Add whatever textures/flats you want, not too much; 15 textures/flats is the limit here unless a single texture pack has been chosen for the whole project.
-Playable map

Here's a map(a park)that demonstrates all the rules and is also for this project:
https://www.mediafire.com/?y6z049kcvxph33i

Mappers:
MAP01 : park (by joe-ilya)
MAP02 : pub (by joe-ilya)
MAPxx : library (by Scifista42)
MAPxx : unnamed (by schwerpunk)

I think I will participate in this one only if I felt inspired enough for a map idea, but not wanting to spend any effort and just a little time to actual execution. Honestly, that's how I feel about your submitted map. That said, I most probably won't attend this "random places" project, sorry.

This idea has potential, and I had a few ideas for some locations myself. However, the example map is severely lacking. There is so much more you could make from the "park" theme if you spent more time on it.

Megalyth said:

This idea has potential, and I had a few ideas for some locations myself. However, the example map is severely lacking. There is so much more you could make from the "park" theme if you spent more time on it.

Thanks, but I just didn't do the park big because I can't trust my community projects to live and be released.

This community project is supposed to look like duke nukem's first and last two episodes, only focused on same concepted places.

Is it died or alive?
Is it random or specific?

?!?!?!?

joe-ilya said:

This community project is supposed to look like duke nukem's first and last two episodes,

I'm sorry to say, but your map fails to do so, it's just a square with hedges. I have no doubt, though, that the project idea has a potential.

scifista42 said:

I'm sorry to say, but your map fails to do so, it's just a square with hedges. I have no doubt, though, that the project idea has a potential.

I don't wanna spend lots of time on detailing crap that has a such a low chance in being released anyways, I didn't bother it. Once this project gets going well, I'll put benches, trees, puddles and add more exploration for the map, all I need are at least 5 willing people and I'll start taking this project more seriously, really.

joe-ilya said:

I don't wanna spend lots of time on detailing crap that has a such a low chance in being released anyways, I didn't bother it. Once this project gets going well, I'll put benches, trees, puddles and add more exploration for the map, all I need are at least 5 willing people and I'll start taking this project more seriously, really.

This is basically the opposite of how to run a project. When asking contributors to invest their time into something of yours, you have to give them something to look at as a reason to put forth the effort. If you don't care and go into it with the expectation that it won't even see release, why would anyone else bother?

esselfortium said:

This is basically the opposite of how to run a project. When asking contributors to invest their time into something of yours, you have to give them something to look at as a reason to put forth the effort. If you don't care and go into it with the expectation that it won't even see release, why would anyone else bother?

Guess I'll put the detail now.

joe-ilya said:

Guess I'll put the detail now.

I'm going to warn you: Detail itself won't save the map at all, because the map is [I said it above] and plays too simply. But good luck with overhauling it, I know that you're well capable of making crazy fun maps.

scifista42 said:

I'm going to warn you: Detail itself won't save the map at all, because the map is [I said it above] and plays too simply. But good luck with overhauling it, I know that you're well capable of making crazy fun maps.

It's supposed to be MAP01 and super simple.
I'll try making a pub map to show how much can be done with just one place.

Sorry, but from your maps this project doesn't convince at all...

And it's kind of a shame, since this thing will be interesting... anyway what is the music on map02? Is pretty cool!

Well, at least you've set the kind of aesthetics and quality bar (by posting your maps), that's a good thing to set a project in move. In my view though, you've set it pretty low, and I'm still concerned how much appealing to players will it be to play a whole mapset of maps like these - but it can turn out to be fun if someone's expectations aren't high. To speak for myself, I've enjoyed your maps well enough on a quick go, but I see them both as visually poor - and it's not about sheer amount of detail, but the way how shapes and textures clash with each other. IMO you don't make bad maps at all, but you really could already learn how to please players aesthetically in a "normal" way. I'm only being honest. Who knows, I might even contribute a similar random map made out of boredom, eventually.

scifista42 said:

To speak for myself, I've enjoyed your maps well enough on a quick go, but I see them both as visually poor - and it's not about sheer amount of detail, but the way how shapes and textures clash with each other. IMO you don't make bad maps at all, but you really could already learn how to please players aesthetically in a "normal" way.

Most correct statement right here.

scifista42 said:

I might even contribute a similar random map made out of boredom, eventually.

Can I mark you as a mapper at the OP?

walter confalonieri said:

Sorry, but from your maps this project doesn't convince at all...

And it's kind of a shame, since this thing will be interesting... anyway what is the music on map02? Is pretty cool!

Oh, so you dislike my maps? What does it have to mean with your mapping? I map cause it's fun not because another's map/s were cool. It's kind of a douche bag move.
The song at MAP02 is from MAP01 of asdfjkl6.wad (an amazing pack of DM maps. Here's the link BTW; http://www.wad-archive.com/wad/31b4ced8fbb15e3c826ea99caa2d1a04 )

joe-ilya said:

Can I mark you as a mapper at the OP?

You should better wait until I post a map, because I'm unreliable. Actually, yesterday evening I've started mapping a library in a rough joe-ilya aesthetical style, I have yet to continue and finish it. It was fun mapping for me, once again after a while. I know that library is not any special theme, but I told to myself that it doesn't matter here. A couple of screenies:

joe-ilya said:

Oh, so you dislike my maps?

No, i don't dislike your maps... but i have the same feelings of scifista about your mapping.

What does it have to mean with your mapping?

Nothing... everyone have it's own style, i make half finished maps that needs a lot of re-working in the time of any project i'm in (and this could be like days or even YEARS if i have some motivation for doing them) filled with little "realistic details" and few homages to original iwads, you make short maps too, but you take a much more abstract way on it (and that's not a bad thing)

I map cause it's fun not because another's map/s were cool. It's kind of a douche bag move.

Me too... I map for the same reason of yours, and i think that everyone makes like this

Well, at first i started to mapping since i've played some great levels like galaxia.wad, the invasion series, the aliens TC and other levels in my collection CDS that i have at home back in the 1997 or so, and i've tried to build some levels with my style using DOS editors like DCK, DEU and similar.... And then i bring back the mapping buisness after i found that Doom had a huge fanbase on internet back in the 2004 days or so, i've uploaded a map in the archive called "Try of a level of Doom" and 2 music wads, they had a terrible feedback but you know, this doesn't block me to make more maps and learning from my mistakes...

Also i'm really sorry if i'm sounded rude....

The song at MAP02 is from MAP01 of asdfjkl6.wad (an amazing pack of DM maps. Here's the link BTW; http://www.wad-archive.com/wad/31b4ced8fbb15e3c826ea99caa2d1a04 )

Thank you very much, i'll check it out later...

@scifista42 C'mon, this is supposed to be a short map. Or not?
Which slot is it gonna be in anyways?

@Eris Falling : Heh.

Haha, good motivating strategy, joe-ilya, but I simply cannot work fast, even if the map is short. In addition, I'm attending the university now, I do have lots of free time but it's no longer whole days.

I want to balance the map to be easy, but have a city sky, so I'm thinking MAP12 slot? Does it even matter? You (or I) can change it anytime, anyway.

I did realize it. Since I wanted to do a limit-removing map, I didn't feel like bothering to do so. But you know what, I'll do it, and you can temporarily put the map in MAP03 slot. There is no guarantee that your project gets many maps at all.

Yeah, it's been a chat between us lately. This sucks, I may just include my maps into my lost mapping project and if you want you can give me your map and I'll put it there too if this won't have at least another contributer or more by the next 2 days.
Here's a hope for some.

Why are you the only one so far to map for this?

I might be the only one who got at least a bit interested in your maps and your project rules, and bored/unemployed enough to actually get to mapping. I've already suggested reasons why the project would be unattractive.

I'm going to release the map standalone if you don't get a regular project out of this, please don't put my map in your personal megawad of scrapped maps.

On a related note, progress: