Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Thoughts on PS3 Doom

So my roommate bought it and we've both been playing it. I've been guiding him, as he has pretty much no experience with FPSs and especially not Doom (although he has often indulged me when I have a new map in the works and want to show it off). It's interesting on the PS3. Music is pretty faithfully MIDIish and the higher resolution is nice. Dunno why sound effects are randomly pitched. The PS3 controller uses a pretty good control scheme, probably better than the PS1 Doom's setup. I hadn't played Doom 1 in a while, so running through it on UV was pretty brutal. I do not understand why the framerate jumps around so violently. I played the first map of "No Rest for the Living" and thought it looked a bit too modern, but it was pretty well designed.

Well NR4TL was designed to be modern, and the random sound pitches was an old behavior for Doom that was patched out/bugged up. Whatever the original intent, seems they've re-implemented it in this version.

GoatLord said:

The PS3 controller uses a pretty good control scheme, probably better than the PS1 Doom's setup.

'Better'? How so? Because if this is the case, I'm genuinely interested in how PS3 Doom's controls are laid out, might fuck around with it in GZDoom or whatever.

I thought it was annoying the surround sound was backwards on the PS3 port. The front and back channels are reversed. Basically, when an enemy is in front of you, you hear them from behind. Unfortunately, it hasn't been fixed to this day. Doom 3 didn't seem to have that problem, though.

PS3 Doom is a piece of shit rushed port. The frame rate drops BELOW 35 fps when there's lots on screen. Don't even get me started about split screen... how do you like 10 FPS? Oh, and they didn't fix the missing key for MAP31: Pharaoh of TNT.