Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Do we need a sequel to Blade Runner?

I don't know why successful film franchises have to keep going after the third film. Look at Nightmare On Elm Street, Predator, Alien etc.
But what happens when they go beyond stale? They get remade.

30 years later? No we don't need one. People will 'auto hate' it. Like how Doom 3 came so far after Doom 2 and Doom 4 will come so far after Doom 3. But hey its something fathers can see with their children. If something is collecting dust, why not make money with it?

dew said:

I'd rather not see any new Scott movies at all. After the gigantic fiasco called Prometheus, I lost faith in him.

Oh yeah, now I remember discussing that film in some dedicated thread back when it was released. I watched it again last week to see if I could jog my memory and confirm or reform my opinion of it and...

Yeah, it's dreadful. I was wrong the first time. There's some pretty neat visuals and a couple of cool directorial set pieces, but the term "omnishambles" might best describe the writing and characters, and the tackling of its principle themes. Not to mention the ham-fisted religious imagery, which is shoehorned in like some kind of pentecostal product placement. Better roll up those trouser legs, Ridley!

I'd be interested to see Ford reprise his role as Deckard, but other than that, this movie really doesn't need to exist. However, as far as Hollywood releases go, it could be up-there -quality-wise, so I'm not going to "auto-hate" it (good term, geo).

So basically, 1) not necessary, but also 2) maybe not horrible???! We'll see.

Claw Van Helsing said:

I don't know why successful film franchises have to keep going after the third film. Look at Nightmare On Elm Street, Predator, Alien etc.
But what happens when they go beyond stale? They get remade.

Unfortunately, Marvel has now convinced everyone that HUGE franchises are the way to go. Don't misunderstand, I've got nothing against Marvel or their movies, in fact, I friggin' love all the Marvel movies, but they've made so much money out of it, now everyone thinks they can take an idea and build it into a franchise. However, it worked with Marvel because, well, like I've said from the beginning, that's how comic books work - there are always more stories to be told, they just transferred that concept to the silver screen. However, if you're not a comic book company with characters that have decades' worth of stories from which to draw inspiration, you probably don't have a 10+ movie franchise on your hands. But by God, studios are gonna try.

Of course we need a sequel to Blade Runner. That scene where all the blood comes out of the sprinklers and he walks in and saves that bloke from all the other vampires, then he's like "OMG I'm a black American who doesn't spend half the film going on about how black I am and how much I hate white people in the name of equality". Maybe in the new film there should be a Predator, that'll really seperate the men from the nancy-boys.

I don't really think Ford should make movies at all anymore. He certainly don't appear to be enjoying it anymore. He just looks old and really bored these days.

Anyway. Ridley Scott stopped making good movies anyway, so personally I wouldn't mind more Blade Runner, but I rather see it from someone else than Ford and Scott.

I've never actually seen Blade Runner, which is weird considering I'm mental about sci-fi. Maybe I can convince my girlfriend to watch it tonight. She likes sci-fi too. And yes, Ford is miles too old to still be in films, it's embarrassing to watch someone who looks eighty years old running around fighting Nazis and stuff.

The only sequel I'd be keen on is a new Star Trek series that wraps up some of the dangling threads from DS9 and Voyager, although Star Trek Online probably does that.

kristus said:

I don't really think Ford should make movies at all anymore. He certainly don't appear to be enjoying it anymore. He just looks old and really bored these days.

This this this. I really like Harrison Ford as an actor but I agree and feel that he has less interest in the films he does these days. The only recent film that I recall him acting decently (or at least not seeming like a crotchety curmudgeon) was 42. Aside from how bad Kingdom of The Crystal Skull was in general one of the opinions I left with right after seeing it was "Damn, Harrison Ford really didn't seem to enjoy being in that movie".

As for Blade Runner I have only watched it once and the time I did watch it I was too young to appreciate the whole thing. I'll have to give it a run again sometime soon to jog my memory. In general though I find that having such a large gap between franchise sequels causes them to lose the feeling/continuity from the first film that originally made it so enjoyable.

I'm not saying it's impossible to do a sequel years later but I have my doubts about how well this concept could be revitalized 30+ years later.

As a huge Blade Runner fan:

Short Answer: No

Long Answer: No

If you want a sequel, I hear that the Point-N-Click Adventure game is pretty good. And although my stance that Deckard is a Human, a sequel that may have a finite answer is less interesting, in my opinion.

Clonehunter said:

If you want a sequel, I hear that the Point-N-Click Adventure game is pretty good.

This. So much this. Recently replayed most of it just to remember how good it was, and it's aged... fairly well, to be honest.

Though, I'm stuck on one part and I don't think there's a way to fix it.

I linked a Let's Play of that game earlier in the thread, worth checking out if you've never played it, especially considering it's one of those games that cannot seem to handle a modern video card/Windows OS at all.

Clonehunter said:

If you want a sequel, I hear that the Point-N-Click Adventure game is pretty good.

It's more of a... parallel-quel, uh. There are hints of Deckard working on his case along the game's plot, for example his sub-par shooting range results, heh. The game has a few adventure cliches that make you facepalm after figuring them out, but otherwise it's one of the best games in the genre - and with a really cute replayability gimmick. Basically, you get slightly differently seeded chars every time and on top of that your actions influence the ending you get. I don't even know how many different endings there are and they're NOT as trivial as that stupid last minute decision in Deus Ex. You have to actually replay the game and pick different options at every step.

Anyway, yeah. That game is what BR fans should go for instead of hoping Ridley will have an epiphany.

And although my stance that Deckard is a Human, a sequel that may have a finite answer is less interesting, in my opinion.

Deckard is most definitely a human in the book and I'm sure the doubt in the movie is just Ridley fucking with the audience. That is great and faithful to Dick's books in general, but it would make little sense in the movie's universe, imo.

Yah the game is more of a mid-quel. I've read the book too, so yah. Been awhile though, and should probably read it again sooner than later. But damn that game, I might need to salvage some old computer to find something to run it with.

Leave the fucking classics alone, dipshit. This movie does not need no sequel 30 years later.

The fact of the matter is that Ridley Scott decided to make a sequel of his own volition and he is excited about it. This at least has potential.

I said it with the last 'Blade Runner sequel' topic and I'll say it in this one. We can get a Smash TV 2 out of this.

Maybe a story set in that universe about completely different characters. Something not even called Blade Runner. I don't need to know more about the fate of Deckard. I do want to see more dreamy, sexy shots of future LA set to synth blues.

Neo-noir as a genre really should take off. We get plenty of dystopian cyberpunk, but very few movies ever really nailed the noir atmosphere like Blade Runner did.

Membrain said:

Neo-noir as a genre really should take off. We get plenty of dystopian cyberpunk, but very few movies ever really nailed the noir atmosphere like Blade Runner did.

I thought Sin City had good shades of this (In between the continuous action), although the B&W coloring may have had a heavy hand in that feel.

the problems i have with remakes is based around not having the core and the
feeling of the originals. as if they mis the point to what the originals where.

Robocop, Mad max, Startrek, and now Blade runner ?

Related to blade runner movie: Has anyone here played Snatcher for mega cd/sega cd? Is it worth paying 200€ to get legit copy of it?

Waffenak said:

Is it worth paying 200€ to get legit copy of it?

Two hundred and fifty bucks!? I hope that's with the cost of the Sega CD included. Otherwise, I'd say a big fat nope. But then I can't think of any game I'd pay $250 for, so YMMV.

On topic of a Blade Runner 2, why on earth would we need one? If Deckard was a replicant, he should've shut down by now. If you make him canon human, then you piss off the people who insist he was a replicant. Don't fix what was never broke to begin with; you'd think the reception of Prometheus would've made that clear.