Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hoodie

Playing Doom as a kid.

I was 5 when my dad gave me his Doom for PlayStation and fell in love with it immediately. I remember playing that game over and over. I remember playing outside as DoomGuy and just all that stupid shit.

I wanted to start a thread for reminiscing about Doom because I never really have with anybody and thought it would be just a great faggy moment to have.

Like, when I was young I would be terrified of revenants. Those things scared the hell out of me. I remember a dream where one was outside my window just cause, and I had to sleep in a different room for about a week.

Oh also the melee sound imps made, that scared me.

I remember when I got the PC version just because I wanted to hear the music and putting the CD and watching a loading bar got me so excited. I miss that shit.

One year for Halloween I was gonna go as Doomguy and I took one of my toy guns and "modified" it so it looked like the plasma gun (at least to me) and being excited; but my mom telling me she couldn't find any doomguy costumes, but she did get me a spyro costume. That was a weird moment, like, the first time I felt sad and happy.

Okay enough of this, what are some of your guys childhood doom memories?

-Playing Doom 2 coop with my father over the serial cable. The first 6 or so maps, over and over again. We couldn't save for some reason. Surprisingly, when playing again years later, we suddenly could.

-Distinctly hearing mancubi to scream "Sandy-baash" when attacking. I called these monsters Sandybaashs, even after learning their true name.

-Seeing a lost soul coming from behind a red torch. From that point on and for many years, I believed that red torches can randomly summon lost souls. I've been terrified by torches.

-Warping to MAP30, cheating IDDQD, IDCLIP and IDFA. Lurking on the platform below Icon's face. Watching monster crowds, "dodging" their attacks (not that it means anything with IDDQD on), killing them whenever they overpopulated. So many hours doing so...

-Watching Doom 2 monster cast screen, learning monster names. I even came up with a song involving these names, based on a melody of one kid's song.

One memory I have is when I was playing the PS1 version with my bigger brother...he told me there was a giant ant in one of the levels. The level in reality just had Arachnotrons walking around and he told me an ant lived among them.

I'm terrified of ants, so this displeased me. When we finished the game I questioned him on why we didn't see any, he told me that enemies are always aware of you in the map and they will walk around it...so sometimes you might not come into contact with them. Playing the game after this was really scary for me then.

Of course there is no such creature in the game, he just did a typical big brother thing and messed with my head.

I remember also I was confused as to what a cacodemon was meant to be.

Xegethra said:

I remember also I was confused as to what a cacodemon was meant to be.

Whenever they died I was VERY confused.

scifista42 said:

-Playing Doom 2 coop with my father over the serial cable. The first 6 or so maps, over and over again. We couldn't save for some reason. Surprisingly, when playing again years later, we suddenly could.

i recall not ever being able to save on the shareware version of Doom when i played it. i think the problem was that i was running the game from the DISC, but never actually installed the game onto the harddrive. however, Doom 2 doesn't have a shareware, and i doubt you could just play the game from the disc without installing it in some form first.

Doomhuntress said:

i recall not ever being able to save on the shareware version of Doom when i played it. i think the problem was that i was running the game from the DISC, but never actually installed the game onto the harddrive. however, Doom 2 doesn't have a shareware, and i doubt you could just play the game from the disc without installing it in some form first.

It was Doom 2 v1.666 all the time, launched via SerSetup or something like that. I dunno.

Xegethra said:

Of course there is no such creature in the game, he just did a typical big brother thing and messed with my head.

No, Xegethra. You are the ants.

Doomhuntress said:

Ditto.

And no music, of course.

Ant Lion Lord confirmed for WOOO 3.

As a non-literate kid looking through an old issue of Nintendo Power and seeing an article on SNES Doom, I assumed it was about a soldier woman from the future that ended up in a gaint medieval castle/maze full of bad spirits and monsters, and had to fight her way out.

I also thought it would be free-roaming, where you would walk from level to level on foot across courtyard hub worlds.

Sounds a lot like Hexen now that I think about it.

I remember losing a friend in my neighborhood around the age of 11 because I had found out he owned Doom 2 during a time where I only had access to the shareware. For a few days in a row I'd go over to his house and play Doom 2 alone for hours. Having the Doom95 launcher made it so much cooler because I could pick the level I wanted to start on and turn on respawning monsters, something I never knew was possible from the MS-DOS command line.

It was the final straw when I had played MAP15: Industrial Zone for at least 4 hours straight, running around with berserk and punching out all the zombiemen. Even with the backpack, I was completely stocked with bullets and shotgun shells, that the dropped shotguns and clip pickups layered on the floor so thick that the sprites started clipping on and off the screen. I wish I had a screenshot to show because I couldn't see myself playing that map again for that duration of time.

My friend doesn't talk to me anymore.

I was like 4 or 5 years old when I started playing shareware Doom. I was so scared of it I couldn't play unless there was someone around. Also I didn't know there was something called "save game", and since the game was in English and I didn't learn this language until I was 9 or so, I couldn't really make much sense out of the menu, episodes and difficulty settings, so I would just bash enter until the game started. I remember fantasizing about the outdoor area in E1M1. I didn't know how to get to it, but I had the impression that if I managed to do it (and I know you could, cause there was that mega armor taunting me) I could access some kind of infinite outdoor area and escape that damned place I was always trapped in. I never really got past level 4 or so until I got a little bit older.

I hated the sound monsters made, and for some reason there was no music in the game, so those sounds were all I could hear. It was a pretty immersive and scary experience all around.

At 8 or so, my first beating of Doom Shareware (yeah... We haven't heard of Doom until late 90's), was exciting, but E1M8's "exit" always scared me because I didn't know that waS HOW you won it really.

Then at 15, got ultimate, doom 2 and final doom, played through em and safe to say, I understood it more and it was a lot of fun. Same time I got into lurking on forums and making test maps, but nothing released, eh.

Since people have been talking about free roam outdoor areas; on E1M4, In the "maze" most of us can just run through in like 3 seconds nowadays, I got lost in it once and was stuck in there for like half an hour.

I remember thinking that since this maze was so hard to figure out, that out on the other side was gonna be something awesome.

Out of the ideas I was thinking of, a huge outside area was one of them. So...there's that.

My fond memories of Doom tend to be primarily emotional with scatterings of image. I was enthralled by Master Levels, despite that many of the user-made maps were pretty crummy. I remember being endlessly fascinated by the use of marble and wood textures and geometry. Not sure why, but those textures always instilled a strong sense of fear in me.

I remember playing Doom 2 on my dad's laptop and being disappointed that there was only one new weapon, but loving the extra monsters and smooth framerate. It was a huge improvement over playing it on my 20Mhz 386, which turned the whole thing into a slideshow. I loved Doom's PC Internal speaker sounds, especially when you picked up health potions/armor helmets.

My shock and awe at the PSX and N64 Dooms was intense. I was legit terrified and loved it. I loved turning up the volume and turning off the lights. I had many nightmare about Doom and found them fascinating. When I replay those versions of Doom,I usually have emotional flashbacks to areas that terrified me. Now they excite me because I'm good enough to handle the combat more effectively.

I first played DOOM when I was 6. It wasn't mine though. It was my big brother's DOOM. He got it from his birthday. When I did play that, I always used IDDQD and IDKFA. Sometimes when played a couple of hours, it crashed at some point. (Well, not crashed, rather froze). At the time, I never knew there was a DOOM II until I've seen it's box art at a computer store when I was with my parents. I was around 10, I think. Wanted to get it, but they said no.

Stopped playing that when I was 13 due to behavior issues. about 5 years later, I asked Santa (That's right) for DOOM and DOOM II. Guess what? CHILDHOOD RESURRECTED! Not only that, It also included GZDOOM, my first source port I've played and heard of (yes, back then I never knew about BOOM, ZDoom, and others. Sad right?) It was version 1.0.29.

Either it was Santa or my other big brother (Yes I'm the youngest brother. I have 2 big brothers) Whoever it was, thank you ^^

Childhood Doom meories:

-LOTS of fun, playing with my dad and older brother a lot

-Browsing all those old 90's DOOM websites.. Those were the (hard to find anything good) days!

-Discovering Doom Connector when I was 9 or 10, and DoomRampage sending me WadAuthor. I was searching for an online DOOM area for a few years leading to this.

-Being terrified of The Doom Bunny at the end of the game!

I remember as a kid being afraid to go in the maze in e1m4, I finally had the courage to go in and I came face to face with a demon for the first time! I was so scarred that I stopped playing doom and proceeded to play Tyrian and King's quest for a couple of months until I resumed playing Doom.

First doom I played was doom64 and I was right around the same age (5).
I remember not ever being able to get past level 6. so id reset the system and keep playing until map 6. never new the name of the game until i could read. always thought it was army of darkness cause of the boomstick and chainsaw and well deadites (zombies/imps)
Then i got doom for gba and played that all the way through probably over 30 times.

So I was watching my cousins play final doom using cheats. Probly when I was 9 or 10 years old around 2000-2001. It looked cool and I wanted to try, but they wouldn't let me. When they finally let me, they fucking ditched me to do something else and didn't tell me how to play... had alot of fun...

Never had any interest in the game since then until a couple years ago when I was on other forums with people that praised the game. So I decided to give it another shot and play first episode and then fell in love.

my fondest doom memories from when i was a kid was when i played with my sister... on a single computer, one controling movement and the other shooting :-) we were super sloppy and didnt knew about strafing making things more challenching

I have told this story in earlier similar threads but I tell it again: My cousin's father told me that somewhere in Doom 2 there is black chainsaw to be found that can cut thru walls so you can make your own paths around maps. It was frustrating to search for it as a kid. Thanks for tricking me. Also pinky demons haunting roars were terrifying at first and also first few appearances of revenant were also menacing

Guest Unregistered account

The list of mine is practically endless, as I am a kid. But here's a few from when I was even younger, before I forgot and rediscovered the game - I was about 4 years old. Behold:

-I thought Doom and Doom II was one big game.

-I thought that in Level 9: The Pit, the starting cross with the Megaarmour sloped outwards, and you were constantly fighting to stay oon and not fall into the muck. I dunno, I guess I was that bad at controlling movement.

Then I remember being scared when I died from falling off the cross because I would just lie on the floor (ingame, mind!) and listen to the sounds of monsters dying(!?). Yes. I never got past the cross.

NOW SEEMS LIKE A GOOD TIME TO POINT OUT THAT THE ONLY TIMES I EVER ACTUALLY PLAYED DOOM/DOOM II WAS WHEN MY DAD GOT UP TO GO TO THE LOO AND ALLOWED US TO PLAY.

-I remember vague glimpses of The Spirit World, amazingly; the wide cavern leading to the underground fire area. I don't remember an Archvile, just shallow pits of lava (that do exist) and Imps. My dad was very low on health at this point, and then he dropped into the fire area (I thought it consisted of lava that didn't hurt you) and picked up a weapon (I still remember the player's bloodied "YES" mug).
That's the last I remember of my dad playing Doom. :(

-Blurred memories of my cousins coming over and playing E1M1.

-I seem to remember some kind of... bridge level. I'm so fascinated about it right now, I actually re-created it in Doom Builder, then lost it. :(
It was SUPER dark. I remember just this bridge, and if you fell off, there were trees and dead monsters. I vaguely remember hearing monster alert sounds, but seeing no living monsters. I seem to remember the track playing was "Demons on the Prey". My conclusion is that it was either a dream, the start of E4M3 or near the power-up area in E4M8.

That's all I remember right now...

Joe667 said:

NOW SEEMS LIKE A GOOD TIME TO POINT OUT THAT THE ONLY TIMES I EVER ACTUALLY PLAYED DOOM/DOOM II WAS WHEN MY DAD GOT UP TO GO TO THE LOO AND ALLOWED US TO PLAY.

The legends were true! I had always noticed that there's a strange connection between Doom and toilets, but now I know. Thank you, Joe667. You make me feel like 1000 Al Bundy's on Ferguson toilets.

I remember seeing Doom 64 in a magazine (before the Nintendo 64 was released) and thinking, "Whoa, they made that many!?"

Joe667 said:

-I seem to remember some kind of... bridge level. I'm so fascinated about it right now, I actually re-created it in Doom Builder, then lost it. :(
It was SUPER dark. I remember just this bridge, and if you fell off, there were trees and dead monsters. I vaguely remember hearing monster alert sounds, but seeing no living monsters. I seem to remember the track playing was "Demons on the Prey". My conclusion is that it was either a dream, the start of E4M3 or near the power-up area in E4M8.

Could it have been Catwalk from the Master Levels? It has a long bridge in a dark room with imps on the side. Not sure what was on the floor if you fell off though, nukage I thought.

My first and one of my fondest memories of doom was
when I was searching through my dad's office and finding a
cd saying "final doom", there was no case so I had no clue as to what to expect, I chucked it into my pc and remember seeing the doom95 installer, complete with spiderdemon and eerie song. It scared the shit out of me.
I was 14 at the time, 7 yrs ago.
Oh, I also shrieked the first time fighting an arch-vile,it wasn't a fun experience when the first doom I played was plutonia and didn't know about the cheats.

Janus3003 said:

I remember seeing Doom 64 in a magazine (before the Nintendo 64 was released) and thinking, "Whoa, they made that many!?"

Who didn't have this thought with any N64 game? :P

Guest Unregistered account
purist said:

Could it have been Catwalk from the Master Levels? It has a long bridge in a dark room with imps on the side. Not sure what was on the floor if you fell off though, nukage I thought.

No, The Catwalk just has some closed-in metal walkway. The bridge I remember was hellish in theme, red sky overhead and all. I'm sure you started on the bridge, and I kept having to reload the savegame. There wasn't any nukage off the bridge, just ground and some blood rivers. You had to creep around because the immense darkness meant you could only see a few metres ahead.

I think the bridge was marble.