Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Alien Isolation

It's pretty damn sweet. I just wish I had an Occulus Rift to play it with (assuming it had the support). Because that would've been awesome.

kristus said:

It's pretty damn sweet. I just wish I had an Occulus Rift to play it with (assuming it had the support). Because that would've been awesome.

I'm still waiting on my dev kit, but at this point, I might as well cancel and wait for the consumer version. I will most likely pick up alien isolation once I have it.

God damn. Between this, the new Rimworld, the new Terrafirmacraft, Smash Bros 3DS, and STALKER Lost Alpha, I just can't find enough time to play all the amazing games coming out right now.

I thought this was related to Ebola somehow.

Marnetmar said:

Routine

I saw this over a year ago and it looks really good, but there doesn't appear to have been any news about it at all since then. Doesn't inspire confidence.

It kinda saddens me that I will have to wait till Christmas to get the game. Or theoretically I wouldn't have to, but my parents promised to fund the purchase as a Christmas present of sorts, so I'll just wait.

Been looking forward to this for a while, and I picked it up today. Meets all of my expectations. I've come across some silly things such as knee-high objects that Whatshername Ripley can't climb over for some reason, but in a world of endless Call of Modern Battlefield games and Assassin's Creed sequels, I can overlook such peculiarities in a game. I think it's great.

The only thing I'm not too fond of is the difficulty. Maybe I've become too used to playing games with a gentle learning curve, but it's fucking hard. And I haven't even had to deal with the xenomorph yet, which is reported to be the epitome of frustrating video game enemies.

Bought it today for ps4 but only got time to play it on saturday. So many good games coming out this year like ac rogue and unity, evil within, super smash bros, farcry 4 etc. Besides all these new games I gotta find time to play retro games too.

Coopersville said:

I played a few hours of it earlier. It's really neat.

edit:

There needs to be a feature in this game that lets you hook up a microphone, so that whenever you get startled and make a noise IRL you're fucked.

Marnetmar said:

There needs to be a feature in this game that lets you hook up a microphone, so that whenever you get startled and make a noise IRL you're fucked.

That would be a great feature to have in the game.

Marnetmar said:

The fist manhunt on PS2 lets you use the PS2 head set to taunt your enemies and if you turn the mic volume up it can be used in a way to make you mindful of what comes out of your mouth. It made things hella tense.

Let's hope this game gets mod support.

Marnetmar said:

edit:

Ahahah, that would be awesome.

Marnetmar said:

Kinnect finally has a use!

Marnetmar said:

They've only ever used mics for console games but they've never done so for PC games ever as far as I know, I wish they would someday.

I have played it for a few hours.

I will admit that the game can be very tense since you are basically fucked if the alien gets you and you don't really know where it is, but the game overall so far is kind of dull.

At least on medium, not much appears to be needed to avoid the alien popping up, and much of the game is thus just walking around looking for the next item you need to progress.

Though I will admit I am not far into the game.

Playing on hard here. The stealth sections appear to be fairly well done so far. I'm playing mostly for the atmosphere and experience, though, so my standards may be different.

About 4 or so hours into the game (mission 5) and I can't keep the Alien off me. It stays in the section I'm in regardless of how quiet I am. It seems to register any environmental disturbance, especially doors, which I can't avoid opening. I noticed that it would try to fake me out - enter a room while I'm hiding in a cupboard, then walk out the door, only to reappear a few seconds later. I ragequit earlier because it forced me into a cabinet in a small room, made me lean back and hold my breath in the cabinet, then left. Then, it came back again and did the same thing. It left the room, and I hadn't even started to open the cabinet before it was back and tearing my face off because it heard me breathing again. This was after spending roughly 90 minutes in the same section because the distance between where I was and the save point (not really that far) still required me to evade the Alien four or five times. It seems to show up looking for me in every single room. It doesn't help that no one's oiled any of the hinges on any of the cabinets and they're as loud as a gunshot. That's used future for you.

10/10 GOTY 6 STARS

Fiend said:

I ragequit earlier because it forced me into a cabinet in a small room, made me lean back and hold my breath in the cabinet, then left. Then, it came back again and did the same thing. It left the room, and I hadn't even started to open the cabinet before it was back and tearing my face off because it heard me breathing again.
10/10 GOTY 6 STARS

Lmao, looking forward to play this asap

hardcore_gamer said:

One thing I forgot to touch on...

Why on earh is humanity still using tapereal computers and audio cassettes in the far future?

They wanted to be as authentic to the 1979 movie as possible in its presentation. The Alien future is forever stuck in the 70s and 80s. In a way, I think that's cooler than a parody of some futuristic iphone. I like the gritty futurism of the past.

hardcore_gamer said:

One thing I forgot to touch on...

Why on earh is humanity still using tapereal computers and audio cassettes in the far future?

Don't forget the scattered Atari 2600 controllers scattered about.

The retro futurism is a nice touch, and it makes the game's aesthetic stand out from the myriad of sci-fi games on the market. It doesn't make a lot of sense when you take yourself out of the Alien lore, but I dig it.

I'm not sure how far away from the end I am, but I've had a lot of enjoyment out of it. I might have had to unlearn a few bad habits I've picked up from playing similar games over the years, which I think is a rewarding experience albeit a frustrating one at first. It's not a game for everyone, but I'd call it GOTY in a completely unsarcastic tone. Looking forward to playing the DLCs when I'm done.

I started playing this few hours ago and I absolutely love this game. I'm pack rat kind player in these kind of games and try to search every nook and cranny for supplies. People always complain in similar games:" buhuu there is not enough ammo and I'm low on health". I just say this: hide and evade if possible. I get system shock 2 flashbacks continuously while playing with all the hacking and stuff and conserving ammo.No major spoilers: early in game,only time I didn't search everything inside room or bodies was that intense elevator hacking part but enough of that. Also the soundscape is terrific with beeps and analog computers making weird noises and that Hitchcockish string music in some parts is very fitting when building up panic. I also love the "used" vibe, similar to star wars universe. Enough praising, back to game.

I was notified that my Occulus Rift is about to be shipped. I noticed after I saw $322 automatically deducted from my checking account; I was anticipating this. This will be the next game I pick up for sure. I will probably get it the next time I get paid.

Looks like I'll really enjoy it too. I better, since after spending all this god damn money. At least compelling myself to stay in on weekends (making up for this splurg) will be more enjoyable with a cool game, and VR head-set.