Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaxxoon R

64Doom: Classic Doom on N64

I think it's about prime time for me to rename this thread '64DOOM', as the name has been settled on it seems.

Forgot that was something I could do XD

https://github.com/jnmartin84/64doom

The latest source code, supporting libraries and the ROM building toolkit are now all available under a GitHub project for anyone to use as they see fit.

Just wanted to satisfy anyone who thought the project was going to die and the source code would get lost like was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Enjoy.

Quasar said:

Every time I've heard that from a project, that's precisely what happens. If it's not completely lost, then the author loses interest and disappears.

Don't fret. I've released the full code to the port as required by the GPL.

Quasar said:

Have you thought about coming up with a distinct name for your port? Might make it more memorable and easier to find. I wanted to ask before we create a wiki article on doomwiki.org ;)

Quasar, I just went and looked at the article on Doom wiki, looked good. I made an update to the google code project link description, but it looks like it needs to be approved by a member or something.

jnmartin84 said:

Quasar, I just went and looked at the article on Doom wiki, looked good. I made an update to the google code project link description, but it looks like it needs to be approved by a member or something.

Got it. We use a system called FlaggedRevs to help with quality control; nothing personal ;)

Quasar said:

Got it. We use a system called FlaggedRevs to help with quality control; nothing personal ;)

Sounds good, bet it cuts down on vandalism.

I've updated the GitHub project site to add some Wiki pages outlining

1) control scheme
2) how to use the toolkit to build ROMs

This is information already posted on the various threads here and at other forums, but I felt it would be good to put it at the main project site.

So is this the long-lost alpha build of Doom 64?

MFG38 said:

So is this the long-lost alpha build of Doom 64?

https://code.google.com/p/64doom/

"This is a faithful port of the original Linux Doom source code released by iD Software in the late 1990s."

But you can use the toolkit to play other wads, too.

VGA said:

https://code.google.com/p/64doom/

"This is a faithful port of the original Linux Doom source code released by iD Software in the late 1990s."

But you can use the toolkit to play other wads, too.

That was meant to be sarcastic, but whatever.

Google has recently announced that they are shutting down the Google Code project.

Due to this pending action, I have migrated the project to GitHub.

64Doom on GitHub can be found at:
https://github.com/jnmartin84/64doom

This is the official location to find all new updates to source code, binaries, builder toolkit and documentation.

I tried to change all of the links and references in this thread from Google Code to GitHub. Every one I had the ability to update, I did.

Thanks.

Jaxxoon R said:

If you wan't, I can update the OP however you wish.

I see that you updated it to point to the GitHub project, thanks.

Anyone still play this?

I just restarted working my way through "Plutonia Experiment" recently.

About half-way through and still find the occasional glitch that crashes the game with "I_Error" output.

If anyone ever runs into this, be sure to file a bug over at the GitHub page:
https://github.com/jnmartin84/64doom/

Thanks and hope you've all enjoyed playing this port as much as I enjoyed developing it. :)

It's kind of interesting how the N64 is the only console of its generation capable of handling a proper port of pc doom, while the PSX port was based off the Jaguar port, and the Saturn port was based off the PSX port...and ironically, what the N64 got was a completely new Doom game based off a heavily modified Jaguar Doom engine instead of another port...

I'm got a problem (not regarding bugs and all that).
I don't have a PC anymore. So I can't build the rom :(
And since Doom is commercial, a rom of that on the internet is illegal (but then again ive done a number of illegal downloads)
So as a comprimise, can someone build a Freedoom rom instead and upload? Thanks!
If I get access to a computer and internet too, I'll try to make the rom myself. Until then, Freedoom will suffice... thanks in advance!

ATM Freedoom *won't* suffice. 64Doom either has vanilla limits or is limit removing (not sure which). It can't play Freedoom Phase 1 or 2 due to both requiring Boom features, and FreeDM, though Vanilla compatible, was made for multiplayer, a feature that I think 64Doom lacks atm.

I don't know how 64Doom handles wad loading (does it support pwads, or does it require deusf to merge stuff into an iwad?) but you could run a combination of Freedoom and any one of the number of high quality pwads released on the internet.

What pwad would you want to run? DTWID? DTWID Lost Episodes? D2TWID? Icarus? Eternal Doom? One of the Mememto Mori wads? Requiem? Hell Revealed? etc...

Danfun64 said:

ATM Freedoom *won't* suffice. 64Doom either has vanilla limits or is limit removing (not sure which). It can't play Freedoom Phase 1 or 2 due to both requiring Boom features, and FreeDM, though Vanilla compatible, was made for multiplayer, a feature that I think 64Doom lacks atm.

I don't know how 64Doom handles wad loading (does it support pwads, or does it require deusf to merge stuff into an iwad?) but you could run a combination of Freedoom and any one of the number of high quality pwads released on the internet.

What pwad would you want to run? DTWID? DTWID Lost Episodes? D2TWID? Icarus? Eternal Doom? One of the Mememto Mori wads? Requiem? Hell Revealed? etc...

I see. Sad. But I can also see what mean by the use of pwad. Either Eternal Doom or BTSX is fine.
Wait. Does it support deh files?

Maybe its because Freedoom has a DEH file in it.

Wait!

HacX 1.2!

Hacx NEEDS its dehacked file. Freedoom, if necessary, can have the dehacked file removed, and still run properly

How about Alien Vendetta? Never tried, and I doubt its in Boom.

Why not BTSX1? It vanilla compatible.

Voros said:

How about Alien Vendetta? Never tried, and I doubt its in Boom.

Why not BTSX1? It vanilla compatible.

Alien Vendetta is vanilla and does not use any DeHackEd patches other than potentially

Danfun64 said:

Technically, the code base should probably handle playing PWADs with a little bit of modifications.

However, I never worked on verifying those code paths or provided a mechanism for telling the code that a PWAD is present and should be loaded, so it is not possible to even try as-is with the code or binary that have been released.

I also do not ever plan on personally adding such functionality. The full 64Doom code release with all custom modifications is available on Github for anyone that would like to try adding support though.

GhostlyDeath said:

I played this on the N64 recently with a flash cart, it was rather interesting.

Good interesting or bad interesting? Just curious. Thanks for playing. :)

I've picked up working on this again. I am implementing "network" multiplayer using the USB port on the 64Drive to communicate with a network bridge based on ZeroMQ. I'm working out the communication protocol now and have stubbed out the USB send/recv in the 64Doom codebase. If the Everdrive 64 allows programmer access to send and receive data over USB, I should be able to implement it for that cart as well, and it would be compatible with the 64Drive version out-of-the-box seamlessly due to the PC bridge interface being identical for any platform that can send and receive arbitrary buffers of data over an arbitrary comms interface to a PC. More soon.