Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sgtcrispy

sgtcrispy's Freedoom Asset Spectacular!

EDIT: Taking a queue from Sodaholic, I'll be dumping my stuff in here from now on.

//BFG Sounds
Testing out some sounds here. Not quite sure about the explode sound but I like the charge one.
Should be loud enough this time hopefully.

https://mega.co.nz/#!6NsDVBib!bfo0Ix0WqY99n9HpD4Vk931oneZikCspoA_cc1431_8

//FD: Phase 2 map03
Removed and integrated the dm area and tweaked some things here and there.
More info in the included txt.

Give it a look-see if it's up to snuff, would you kindly.

https://mega.co.nz/#!yINUnLzT!IP2GecEDoU2oFNLC_AyL-g9wXJj9j2chTOSQQTewgB4

//DSHOOF DSMETAL
Whipped up some different sounds for DSHOOF and DSMETAL. The wad replaces just those two.

Good, bad, fugly?

https://mega.co.nz/#!GI8lFAZL!ZoiI5tx8LONDcu1c793XBHnjZI8Chbyv0gMA-e2YVD4

Hopefully the damn link works, if not I can email it/them also.

i read hoof and thought it was mlp related lol. i think they sound good, but a bit to low on volume, and i cant decide if i like it more than the old one

mlp? oh god no. /me shudders

When I was testing them out I took into account the volume levels of the sound and music in-game and played with them a bit.
Maybe people are playing with the music cranked up and they get drowned out by the sweet jams?
I don't know, personally, I think the volumes are fine. But I can fiddle with them some more if they truly need to be pumped up.

Although, to be honest, some of the sounds are to loud.
The RL and explosions? A tick too loud.
The BF.. er SKAG? Why are my ears AND eyes bleeding?

Speaking of which, I'm so working on new sounds for that thing.

This is a likely issue in general. Sound volume should be normalized or made best for each weapon. This has not been tested much.

For player/weapon sounds this is extremely important in deathmatch. Sounds are used in deathmatch to determine precisely where players are or what they are doing/shooting. Significant changes in sound length or volume will alter deathmatch gameplay.

This was brought up before. https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/issues/89

Map03 is a bit too hard in -skill 2. Remember when there are no chaingunners, there are no chainguns. I had a full pistol. I can make some minor touch ups, unless you want to.

Freedoom's skill 4 is meant to be hard. Skill 3 is a good, decent normal. Skill 2 should be pretty easy.

A few nitpicks:

Firstly, it's probably best if you just link to your new submissions in your new posts rather than editing your original post at the top of the thread. Makes things easier to follow.

You imported the sounds as WAV files inside the PWAD and didn't convert them to Doom's sound format. This works in ZDoom-based ports but doesn't work in other ports, and makes it kind of annoying to test.

The new BFG sounds show a lot of promise, but they sound distorted like they're "overdriven" (for want of a better word) - kind of like the volume is so loud that it's overloading or possibly clipping to the maximum amplitude. Granted the BFG (or in Freedoom's case the SKAG 1337) is supposed to be loud and powerful but the distortion makes it sound bad.

The BFG hit sound fits well to the animation, but I'm not so sure about the firing sound. It would be nice if the sound had a part to it corresponding to the release of the energy ball from the weapon. Doom's BFG firing sound has this - there are two clear "sections" to the sound: the "powering-up" section and the "firing" section, and they're synchronized with the firing animation itself. Freedoom's BFG firing sound doesn't have this (either in the current BFG sound or your one in SC_BFG.wad) and I think the weapon as a whole suffers because of this.

Catoptromancy said:

Map03 is a bit too hard in -skill 2. Remember when there are no chaingunners, there are no chainguns. I had a full pistol. I can make some minor touch ups, unless you want to.

Freedoom's skill 4 is meant to be hard. Skill 3 is a good, decent normal. Skill 2 should be pretty easy.

np, will tweak some more. Will add a chaingun as well. dm2 map03 has one, should I add a RL though.
Also what suggestions for tweaks?

fraggle said:

Firstly, it's probably best if you just link to your new submissions in your new posts rather than editing your original post at the top of the thread. Makes things easier to follow.

Will do!

You imported the sounds as WAV files inside the PWAD and didn't convert them to Doom's sound format. This works in ZDoom-based ports but doesn't work in other ports, and makes it kind of annoying to test.

Ah yes, sorry, I was derping and not paying attention. One of them stayed at 16bit too for some reason.
Since I'm not using boom effects, I'll just test in chocolate doom from now on instead of zdoom and prboom. (btw prboom runs like utter shite in win7)

The new BFG sounds show a lot of promise, but they sound distorted like they're "overdriven" (for want of a better word) - kind of like the volume is so loud that it's overloading or possibly clipping to the maximum amplitude. Granted the BFG (or in Freedoom's case the SKAG 1337) is supposed to be loud and powerful but the distortion makes it sound bad.

The BFG hit sound fits well to the animation, but I'm not so sure about the firing sound. It would be nice if the sound had a part to it corresponding to the release of the energy ball from the weapon. Doom's BFG firing sound has this - there are two clear "sections" to the sound: the "powering-up" section and the "firing" section, and they're synchronized with the firing animation itself. Freedoom's BFG firing sound doesn't have this (either in the current BFG sound or your one in SC_BFG.wad) and I think the weapon as a whole suffers because of this.

I was thinking the same thing, them sounding overdriven. Back to the drawing board.
I really wasn't to crazy about them anyway so no harm, no foul.

It's perfect!

Though would be cool to put more imps on far side of that last room(red key door) with a box of rockets right inside the door. Will not mess up the skill balance and adds some splatter factor right before exit.

I noticed a DM map was off to the side. It can stay, but I do not really like side maps. That side area does look fun to DM on but I think it is better to DM in the same areas that are played in singleplayer, especially since these are single player maps.

I really like the challenge of creating a good DM on a single player map. MAP07 is a perfect example. MAP07 puts player starts in hallways that singleplayers would never see. Once a DM player moves, he crosses lines that open up the map and instantly create a DM map.

Boom has tags "deathmatch." If a map is really big, can put a blocking decoration in a doorway to keep players inside the DM area. Can also simply create a standard looking teleport and have the teleport thing tagged as deathmatch only. No holes in walls and only allows usage of teleport during DM, linking parts of the map together for flow.

Can use a MAP07 style hidden pathway not just as a pathway but also to reveal teleports that only DM players would use. These teleports can link two ends of a linear section, or anything creative.

This map really is not that big. But the water area is a bit awkward since its such a movement blocker. Could put a DM start inside a false wall near that second door close to the start. Once a DM player spawns, crosses a line, the wall opens revealing a teleport. In water dead-end, a linked wall opens up with the other side of that teleport.

Looking at map I notice two dead-ends, the water green armor and chaingun near start. They could be linked with a stairway/hall with a DM start in the middle. MAP07 style linedefs could be used to only open up that hallway when a DM player spawns inside the hall and walks forward, triggering both ends to open and linking two dead-ends.

Looking over in an editor I try to visualize DM routes and flow. In that red key little tower in the water, I see a bfg. There are 4 windows to the left and right of tower. I can see that pillar between them, or the windows themselves being lifts. A DM start in a false wall would trigger a lift to raise, allowing that shortcut to BFG tower. This also forces the BFG wielder to be vulnerable on the lift.

A hidden door near start directly linking chaingun room to main hall that would only open when a DM player spawned in a false wall and walked over a line. Instant DM flow and a semi direct route to water, if back stairway was included as well.

Of course there is also NS-minded gameplay in a boom/vanilla map. Making sure map is 100% OS in style but have carefully minded features that allow NS gameplay to also work well. NS players can jump over things, this can be good and spice up the gameplay. But jumping may break a map badly. There various ways to ensure the OS gameplay is unaffected when NS gameplay tweaks are added. Freedoom2's map31 is a castle, NS players could just jump over wall. I specifically added a feature to deter jumping even though map is boom compatible. 100% OS with NS tweaks mapping strategy works well for both fully DM and singleplayer maps. I playtest FreeDM with jumping as well as on chocolate-doom.

Your map is fine, you really do not have to do any of this. I just wanted to rant a bit. I have been testing deathmatch on the singleplayer maps for a little while and needed to type this up somewhere.

EDIT> I am still typing.

Wow what a response! Thanks! ^_^

I might try a few of those later on, but in the interest of the looming 0.9 deadline, I'll hold off on adding any more dm stuff.

I'll add an imp or two and the rockets though, since I'm too a little iffy about the exit area.

Now to finish those skag sounds and e3m4...

Tinkered around with the SKAG charge sound and decided to try something different. This one's a much better fit methinks. I fixed the explode sound but didn't change it yet. I'll most likely see if I can't come up with something better for it.

DEAD Link
Thoughts fellow doomers?

sgtcrispy said:

Okey, fiddled with the difficulties and fixed a few bugs.

Chocolate Doom did not like that map. It turned it into a ice cream shop because there was tutti-frutti everywhere.

https://mega.co.nz/#!nR8STZjC!iCgA2ZPV7vSidMo_VuLpiQ_0Yy25zLu6VbDinOQyM-Q

sgtcrispy said:

Continuing work on E3M4. Dumped the maze area for a open catwalk room.
wip: https://mega.co.nz/#!nEkBjKID!kl69QMl1FrJisPQwbr0Cnw0ThYJ1TqgJLnmhuol-Fmk

Bump. These need committed. Will also fix close this issue.
https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/issues/101

Well crap, missed the 0.9 release.

Here's a "completed" version of E3M4. There's a bug that so far only seems to effect Chocolate Doom (current version). I haven't noticed it in zdoom.

SPOILERS(?)
In the right passage in the exit room, the room with the power up has its sector and one connecting to the wall near the door lower to the floor. It happens if you run through the left passage first. Can't figure out why it's doing this.

Other than that, it should be ready to go. Skill levels seem to be ok. But somebody else should give it a go or 5 too.

https://mega.co.nz/#!TUMSXABC!VyFoXbLKZnX2x6Cyea5fbHDHF-N-AJOfLDMnWBYDyak

Have not finished it yet, but it seems really low on ammo. It is also quite easy on -skill 4 even for the low ammo count. I started not killing large monsters due to ammo and still barely had enough.

The map itself looks awesome.

Catoptromancy said:

Have not finished it yet, but it seems really low on ammo. It is also quite easy on -skill 4 even for the low ammo count. I started not killing large monsters due to ammo and still barely had enough.

The map itself looks awesome.

Glad it that looks ok then. ;)
Ok, needs more ammo, gotcha.