Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Z0k

A little question.. again? [installing doombuilder 2]

So the other day my old PC died, capacitors didnt stand the last thunder that night... and then bought a new computer, which sadly its windows 8.1 (i want to change it to windows 7 but im not that little technical guy who know how to do it)

And then i downloaded doom builder 2 from codeimp.com site, after battling with the windows 8.1 trying to install doombuilder2.exe, when i was finally able to run the EXE, its says it cant install doom builder 2 because it have corrupted files and i should try to download it again.

Anyone here (which i doubt since everyone hate windows 8.1) was able to run doom builder 2 in windows 8.1? becaus i just keep downloading and downloading the same file and keep telling me the same error over and over again and i seriously feel like to map after 2 weeks without computer :C

Don't have Windows 8.1 myself, but it looks like you might first need to "switch on" OS support for .NET Framework 3.5 (more info here) before you'll be able to install/run DB2. There's also newer versions of DB2 here and you might like to investigate GZDoomBuilder, which is still under active development.

I have Windows 8.1 and running both Doombuilder 2 and GZDoom Builder. I never had any trouble with them, and honestly I don't know what could be going on. Maybe post your system specifications?

@greyghost
i will check it out probably codeimp doombuilder its the problem.

@zed:

Windows Edition:
Windows 8.1 single language

System:
processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-4570T CPU @2.90 GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM:) 12.0 GB (11.9 GB usable)
Type of System: Operative System of 64bits Processor: x64
Pen and Touch: total compatibility with windows touch with 10 touch point

(sorry if some may sound weird since i have those specs in spanish)

Well, I my processor is AMD, so maybe that could be it? Try sending MaxED a PM, I think he's in charge of GZDoom Builder.

Oh, and if you have something to explain/show in Spanish, feel free to PM me.

The homepage for GZDoom Builder is over on the ZDoom forum.
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32392

There, on the first page, is a tutorial listed under If something isn't working.
This tutorial has a section entitled Download and Install. Just click on the
quick link. There, Tiger explains how to install GZDoom Builder under Windows 8.

Maybe, that will help you

Doom editors, programs, or other utilities will not be able to tell the difference between an AMD and Intel CPU machine. That is what compatible instruction sets is about. Only the Operating System has to deal with the few differences, and those are mostly optional enchancements. The same goes for the brand of motherboard, hard-drive and video card. Only a few video games directly used some video card special features. Doom only uses the standard library interfaces that work with all adequately capable hardware.

Running the machine in 64 bit is one exception to this because some programs have problems. However, most 32 bit programs will run in a compatibility mode on a 64 bit machine. There has to be a compatibility mode because the instruction set is interpreted with a different default register and address size for 64 bit (without going into too much detail on that).

Try some other 32 bit Doom programs and report what they do.

You could convert the whole thing to Linux. I only suggest that because it is probably less work than trying to downgrade to Win 7.
You are going to have to find someone with a Commercial Win 7 install disk set, not those crippled one model versions.

wesleyjohnson said:

You could convert the whole thing to Linux. I only suggest that because it is probably less work than trying to downgrade to Win 7.
You are going to have to find someone with a Commercial Win 7 install disk set, not those crippled one model versions.

Doom Builder only runs on Windows.

well Doom64 Ex didnt have troubles to install so im kinda happy i can continue my work of the wad i was making in the editor.

What kinda surprised me its that i try to do what Gzdoom builder page says on how to install in Windows 8. the funny thing its that i already have checked those options, though probably they became checked after i installed doom64 EX yesterday, i just installed doom64 ex builder, and it works fine.

Now i unzipped the DB2 from the DRD team site and it worked!.

the reason why i wanted DB2 running instead GZDB its because while i like to use GZDoom as my port for the maps im still working, i need DB2 to keep doing fixes to my freedoom maps, to make maps for community projects once i see them and try to be less dependant of Zdoom features with vanilla maps.

Anyways, Thanks guys! now i have DB2 and DB64ex working again!

Z0k said:
I need DB2 to keep doing fixes to my freedoom maps[/B]

GZDB has both Vanilla and Boom configurations for Doom and Doom2. You just need to enable them in the "Game Configurations" window.

thanks maxed! its good to know gzdoom builder support those too, because that just take down one editor for my needs in maping.