Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Cacowards 2014 nomination thread

BlackFish said:

Gene-Tech: Before the Storm

Man, thank you for it! I don't check out zdoom forums, so this stuff slipped completely below my radars.
I dropped my jaw and was able to pick it up only after I finished the whole thing (more than an hour in a single go, hooo boy), it's Quake 2 meets Marine Assault, with hints from Strife and Half-Life. Damn, this IS Cacoward material, so +1 from me instantly. Ballbustingly great stuff.

+1 for Adventures Of Square. I finally got around to playing that this week, and it's one of the most refreshingly unique, well-designed and challenging wads I've played in a while!

Resurgence.
Gene Tech.
Adventures of Square.

All of these are fantastic releases which I feel should definitely get an award despite being mentioned already. Very fun wads.

joe-ilya said:

Once BTSX E2 gets fully released, I'll +1 it too.

But you can't make 2014 nominations in approximately 2027

I will nominate resurgence, an excellent follow up to Speed of Doom from Joshy, and it also shows that even a single author (mostly) can come up with a variety of ideas.
I will also nominate Going down. It might not be everyones cup of tea, but it does hit a sweet spot for me. There is something special about it's construction.

BTSX E2, bring out E3 and I might nominate it :P

I will nominate DemonSteele, GMOTA, Prodoomer and Ultimate Doom 64 as the best gameplay mods of this year (an outstanding year for mods).
The Best WAD is BTSX2 for me...

End of the year is slowly approaching, so I'm going to post my Cacoward nominations, simply the wads that I believe deserve a Cacoward. I'm even going as far as to order them, to express which of them I've personally found awesome and which I've found even more so. It's possible that I've already nominated some of them before, now I just sum it up in one place.

10. Countdown to Extinction - Speedmapping megawad done right and skillfully.

9. Gene Tech: Before The Storm - Pretty much an FPS on its own, great atmosphere distant from Doom's own.

8. Thy Flesh Turned into a Draft Excluder - An episode of outstanding Doom 1 fun.

7. Flashback to Hell - Modern reimagination of Doom 2's maps, very competently done.

6. Swift Death - Great exercises of player's skill in a full megawad of compact, well designed maps. Thanks to difficulty settings, it should please everyone.

5. Back to Saturn X E2 - Extreme amounts of work by many talented authors went into this, and it shows. Almost inhumanly flawless design.

4. Rush - Archi's style is very elegant, he has a keen eye for visuals and gameplay.

3. Resurgence - Very well crafted out megawad.

2. Adventures of Square E1 - Unique fun experience, awesome cartoony artwork, great level design.

1. Going Down - For me, the absolute winner of the year, the pinnacle of compact level design, usage of stock textures, semirealism and atmosphere.

Also, honorable mentions should go to:

MWDoom E1
Plutonia 1024
Shadows of Cronos
Bloody Steel
Monster Hunter Ltd.

Mockaward: I second Laundry 2 - it only worked thanks to the tremendous amout of exotic custom content put into it, but it worked.

Mapper of the year: Obsidian - he's made incredibly lot of maps this year, and all of them shined. 2nd choice would be Memfis, for a similar reason. :)

Most promising newcomers: ToxieRocks and KevinHEZ - see a couple screenshots of their works and you'll agree. :) Magic Walker (author of MWDoom) unfortunately disappeared since February.

Mapper of the year: Obsidian - he's made incredibly lot of maps this year, and all of them shined. 2nd choice would be Memfis, for a similar reason. :)

I second this; dude's prolific as hell, consistently good, and I daresay he's sparked a speedmapping revival which is super cool.