Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Infirnex

Hatred - Is there a line that can be crossed?

Does Hatred take violence in games too far?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Does Hatred take violence in games too far?

• Yes, it does go beyond what is acceptable.
    • No, it is fine for what is considered fine.
    • I don't really care, honestly.
    • Impse 1
    • Impse 2

fraggle said:

Oh my bad. It looks like the death threats were completely justified after all.

Nothing like throwing a bit of transphobia into the mix for some A++++ solid gamergate logic

I knew you were going to say that. It was complete bait and you fell for it. I was stating it as a fact, nothing more. Brianna Wu is a despicable person. She's made fun of people with autism, among her "perls". You dont want to defend her/him.

OT, day one sale for this game from me. It looks like a well-placed "Fuck you!" to both AAA titles with their big marketing budgets and contrived "complex" stories like The Last of Us, and arty-fartsy indie games with their mental masturbation stories like Gone Home.

doomgargoyle said:

OT, day one sale for this game from me. It looks like a well-placed "Fuck you!" to both AAA titles and their big marketing budgets and arty-fartsy indie games with their mental masturbation stories like Gone Home.

What is it about Gone Home that makes man children shit their pants so much? Did it take away attention precious attention from the 92352627335 Zombie games, Minecraft Clones, and retro remakes in the indy section that would otherwise get my 5.99 steam dollars?

You're right about one thing though, this game is quite obviously feeding on the persecution complex people who unironically think that there is a SJW conspiracy to get their games banned and that the 'games as art' crowd are somehow going to make games worse.

doomgargoyle said:

Brianna Wu is a despicable person. She's made fun of people with autism, among her "perls".

And therefore deserves death threats and harassment, right?

Gamergate logic. Blame the victim.

That guy's monologue is so (intentionally?) corny it's cracking me up. I wonder if they will develop him a bit just because I want to hear his corny lines.

Captain Red said:

What is it about Gone Home that makes man children shit their pants so much? Did it take away attention precious attention from the 92352627335 Zombie games, Minecraft Clones, and retro remakes in the indy section that would otherwise get my 5.99 steam dollars?

You're right about one thing though, this game is quite obviously feeding on the persecution complex people who unironically think that there is a SJW conspiracy to get their games banned and that the 'games as art' crowd are somehow going to make games worse.

Yes, of course it did. :) Seriously, I dont care about that "game", i dont think it was a game at all. I hate minecraft with a passion, please dont bring it up. Hate that swedish fat fuck. He's the ultimate man child.

There was though, and theres no way you could deny it, this strange thing with Gone Home, in that it was praised universally as some kind of gaming milestone, by the same corrupt media sites, the usual suspects, kotaku, polygon, etc, you know, the same people that posted those "gamers are dead" articles. And it won all these awards given by these conventions with connections to this same gaming media. It's like that in a way, they want to games to be more like Gone Home from now on. Which is of course a stupid notion.

fraggle said:

And therefore deserves death threats and harassment, right?

Gamergate logic. Blame the victim.

You're saying that, not me. Nobody in Gamergate condones harassment and death threats, did you not read my previous posts? The harassment came from one dude in south america that wanted to attract attention to his website. And you know what? He was discovered and told on to the FBI by Gamergate supporters. I also said that she went to 8chan and doxxed herself. Look it up, it's all there. S/he's no victim here.

DooM_RO said:

That guy's monologue is so (intentionally?) corny it's cracking me up. I wonder if they will develop him a bit just because I want to hear his corny lines.

Yes, it is. Sounds like what a bored high school kid with falling grades would say. From what the polish guy said, there's no story or characters to develop, it's just an exercise in pure gameplay.

doomgargoyle said:

You're saying that, not me. Nobody in Gamergate condones harassment and death threats, did you not read my previous posts?

Yeah, that's the party line, right? The one that all of you keep repeating. Yet it doesn't add up. Even prominent gamergaters who make that claim are harassers themselves - the best example being Ben Spurr, author of the "Beat up Anita Sarkeesian" game.

You yourself ignore that DooM_RO basically did exactly that with the attitude he expressed in this thread (ie. condoning death threats as "lolz"), and you failed to call him out on it or condemn it.

I also said that she went to 8chan and doxxed herself. Look it up, it's all there. S/he's no victim here.

Please provide evidence. It sounds like yet another ludicrous conspiracy theory to me - gamergaters seem to love making up conspiracy theories like these so that they can blame their victims.

A quick Google search turned up this which uh.. doesn't actually demonstrate the claim at all. Her personal information was posted on 8chan, she posted a tweet about it and 5 minutes later received a death threat with her home address. How exactly did she "doxx" herself, again?

Ah, you see, there's the problem.
The Gamerghazi crowd have no concrete evidence for any of their claims about anyone. They have hearsay, repeated lies and context-free chatlogs that they use to connect the dots like some conspiracy nut with too much free time and cork board. They fill the cracks in their logic with character evidence: "She's a femnazi whore and that's what femnazi whores do."

That's to say nothing of their confirmation bias... If they practiced HALF the skepticism they do when they hear of a another female figure being driven from their home by death threats, GamerGate wouldn't fucking exist.

doomgargoyle said:

Yes, of course it did. :) Seriously, I dont care about that "game", i dont think it was a game at all. I hate minecraft with a passion, please dont bring it up. Hate that swedish fat fuck. He's the ultimate man child.

Dude's a billionaire and has created a game that pretty much a cultural icon almost completely by himself. What a loser dork.

doomgargoyle said:

There was though, and theres no way you could deny it, this strange thing with Gone Home, in that it was praised universally as some kind of gaming milestone, by the same corrupt media sites, the usual suspects, kotaku, polygon, etc, you know, the same people that posted those "gamers are dead" articles. And it won all these awards given by these conventions with connections to this same gaming media. It's like that in a way, they want to games to be more like Gone Home from now on. Which is of course a stupid notion.

What they praise is novelty and execution. Gone Home stood out by being a stand alone exercise in environmental story telling which and while environmental story telling had been used in games before it usually hadn't been expected to carry the whole experience like it had in Gone Home. Critics engaged the game on it's own terms and found a well executed short story.

A bunch of nerds on the internet then decided it didn't check enough boxes in game forum that existed in their heads and decided people liked it because the SJW Illuminati needed to further the gay agenda.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm not gonna talk about Gamergate in this thread as I don't wish to derail it, go check out Firefish's thread.

Captain Red said:

Dude's a billionaire and has created a game that pretty much a cultural icon almost completely by himself.

He stole the concept of Infiniminer and kicked it when it was down. Screw Minecraft, it's overrated and bloated. Too much grinding to get the game to be anything more than a gruelling and boring nightmare, too many annoying merchandizing deals.

Don't get me wrong, it's spawned a large and creative community and is a very expandable game, but I find the lack of credit to (or even public knowledge of) its origins to be frustrating, especially when I consider Infiniminer to have been a better designed game. It was simple and primitive, sure, but it had focus and you could walk, fall, mine and build much more quickly. The limited world size was a plus, IMO, it made the world feel much less disposable and made your (and others') actions carry heavier consequences.

Fraggle.

Just to know, there are trolls who love to shit out on both sides. And because of them, Gamergate gets collateral damage from these parties. And Wu happened to blame Gamergate movement for the actions of few retards. And I still imply, that we condemn any kind of harassment.

Just to know, 8chan, 2extreme4halfchan, shitposted the fuck outta the board when someone dropped Wu's dox, (mods/admins were on sleep when this happened.) Do you think we don't care about someone? Maybe some don't, but we don't want any more shit dumped on us.

And fraggle, just small question... Have you not seen OUR side, what we have to bear? No?

Take a look. Hell, we even have whole tumblr blog of US, Gamergaters, getting harassed.

Fraggle, please, don't generalize when there are loads of people getting death threats. We don't play as a professional victims.

See this video, why some folks don't like miss Wu much.

This whole Gamergate thing is so sensationalized and lame. I just like playing video games and watch the occasional YouTube video if I really want to find info on a new release. People who expect big-name gaming magazines to proivde accurate feedback and coverage are pretty numb imo, look to gaming froums run by actual gamers or better yet, look up so small time reviews of the title you're interested in on YouTube. That's what this whole thing is about right - Accurate reporting/press? Well if you look to the big names for that shit, you're reaping what you sew. Oh also this thing reeks of basement dweller who cant get any so they want to take it out on sluts. My two cents.

Anyway, back to Hatred. Um... Is thre actually anything else to say about this game that hasn't been said? Looks like a lame shock-seller. Whoopey doooooo!

FireFish said:

This reeks of manipulated gaming magzines and engineered reviews. Going purely on the
trailer this games has less 'fake violence' and 'substance' then most adult games
ever made between the year 2000 and now...

FireFish said:

It originated on a damn site where people post mutilated animals and amoral illegaly photoshoped minors
because it amuses them, because it is funny to them...

Your ignorance is staggering. The devs are some small Polish studio with no significance, afaik. Handwaving 4chan off in this manner just seems like you're uncomfortable with dealing with things outside of your hugbox. Thanks for ruining the thread, idiot.

EDIT: Doom is a game played by people who shoot up their schools. This is the level of idiocy your statement conveys.

Doomkid said:

Anyway, back to Hatred. Um... Is thre actually anything else to say about this game that hasn't been said? Looks like a lame shock-seller. Whoopey doooooo!

It's zombie shooter where some of the zombies move away from the player instead of toward them. Also sick nasty executions! Thank goodness their are developers who remember what's really important about gaming: Making your mum mad in 1997.

dew said:

Your ignorance is staggering. The devs are some small Polish studio with no significance, afaik. Handwaving 4chan off in this manner just seems like you're uncomfortable with dealing with things outside of your hugbox. Thanks for ruining the thread, idiot.
EDIT: Doom is a game played by people who shoot up their schools. This is the level of idiocy your statement conveys.

pulling things out of their context...

crap like this is why i hate Gamersgate mixing where it should not belong.
there is a big difference between my response to Gamersgate comments in this thread, and
whatever you write about shooting up schools and this video game. If you read any of my posts
in here you would know i never even came close to what you claim i insinuate. As a matter of fact
i clearly wrote the exact opposite of your claims hoping to get some sense into people claiming
games create real life violence ;

Firefish:
in truth i see a big degradation in people their common sense, there are no humans in
these video games and you are not killing anything which lives... as a mather of fact,
they used to teach this to children when they where growing up end 90's and early 2000's.
If you think you are killing humans and living beings while playing video games, you clearly
are losing the line between reality and fantasy, reality and fiction...
A drawing of a human is not a human.

You misunderstand. The part about Doom was mocking your review of 4chan and how it's perceived by an ignorant passerby like you. Look, there are disgusting posts, therefore 4chan is disgusting. And Gamersgate must be disgusting too, because it comes from a disgusting site. Such mental shortcut will not stand.

Furthermore, you claim to despise the bloated nature of Gamersgate and the fabricated/unproven claims at its core, yet it's okay for you to claim that the Hatred team is pulling strings in the gaming media to get coverage? I'm talking about the post in which you kickstarted the Gamersgate tangent that took over the thread.

FireFish said:

This reeks of manipulated gaming magzines and engineered reviews. Going purely on the
trailer this games has less 'fake violence' and 'substance' then most adult games
ever made between the year 2000 and now...

Provide sources or stop with unsubstantiated claims. The developers might be playing media, knowing the moral police would jump at the bait dangled in front of them, but manipulating magazines and engineering reviews mean there is a conspiracy. No, John, you are the gamersgates.

As someone who does not give a flying fuck about #gamergate and despises the feminazis in every way (not all feminists are feminazis, extremist psycho nut jobs that do not believe in equality and pretty much want to destroy men are the feminazis), can somebody please tell me why I should give a shit about #gamergate and someone also needs to explain to me why you care so much that shitty gaming websites publish shitty bullshit?

Are you actually telling me people give a shit about gaming journalism?

EDIT: Also, why are jimmies rustled on the anti-#gamergate side of the fence about any talk of #gamergate?

-

Oh and this game definitely will suck, the edgy tone is just a way to sell this fucking neo-nazi abortion.

doomgargoyle said:

I knew you were going to say that. It was complete bait and you fell for it.

Wtf is gamersgate and why are so many people in this thread talking about it? Don't some of you women have lives outside of an Apple store? G'Damn Jews, messing threads up for every body. Every time I see the word Gamersgate, that's the tell that a whole bunch of women with dicks are about to start bleeding all over the interwebs. Go watch some Soaps or something.

I can't see "Gamergate" without seeing GamersGate, which unfortunately is a pretty decent site for buying Steam keys. I hope this whole mess doesn't have any fallout on them. :(

I was hoping to contribute to a discussion about Hatred (a violent game that borders on being offensively so), but on this page everyone's arguing about #GamerGate (massive circlejerk about a woman who slept with somebody or something)

whatthefuckisthis.jpg

The Hatred devs are going to sleep around with GameSpot and get some critical acclaim. They will then dig up Roger Ebert and fuck his corpse, so he'll come out of the spirit world and announce Video Games are art, because some people still care about his opinions.

Hatred will get 30 GOTY awards, cause six Columbine clones, each which will then receive a JRPG parody, and the creators will go on to create a really lackluster sequel everyone will pan vehemently, and ten years down the road people will say "The sequel wasn't good, but it wasn't terrible, either" and be met with a resounding "Eh"

h.brick said:

I was hoping to contribute to a discussion about Hatred (a violent game that borders on being offensively so), but on this page everyone's arguing about #GamerGate (massive circlejerk about a woman who slept with somebody or something)

whatthefuckisthis.jpg

Yeah, this derailed pretty badly. It actually warranted another thread.

So that thread about GamerGate is here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/everything-else/70585-a-clean-analasys-gamergate/

I would prefer to keep this about Hatred. I'm surprised at how many are comfortable with the idea. It's definitely something that's trying to push what you can do in a game...but probably only for (bad) publicity.

Infirnex said:

Yeah, this derailed pretty badly. It actually warranted another thread.

So that thread about GamerGate is here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/everything-else/70585-a-clean-analasys-gamergate/

I would prefer to keep this about Hatred. I'm surprised at how many are comfortable with the idea. It's definitely something that's trying to push what you can do in a game...but probably only for (bad) publicity.

I haven't played the game yet, obviously, so I'm reserving some judgment. What if Hatred is a totally different game than what we're seeing? Maybe some horribly wrong-headed PR guy or advertising firm directed that video for cheap publicity. It's happened before.

I'm a second-chances kind of guy. If I play this game and it turns out differently than advertised, maybe it could send a real message about being in the shoes of a psychopathic killer. It would still be controversial, but it could be for a reason.

Of course, if the game is as-advertised, nevermind. Just a cheap headline-grab and it should be forgotten as soon as one hits the "Escape" key.

It's almost as if when you take out the "edginess" and "statement," there's literally nothing left to talk about.

Huh.

BlueFeena said:

Can we please merge these two threads? It'll be one big gigantic orgy of marshmallows and flamethrowers. :3

The idea was to separate them for two different convos. Might as well stay that way, as this one hits the rail once in a while.

Clonehunter said:

The Hatred devs are going to sleep around with GameSpot and get some critical acclaim. They will then dig up Roger Ebert and fuck his corpse, so he'll come out of the spirit world and announce Video Games are art, because some people still care about his opinions.

Hatred will get 30 GOTY awards, cause six Columbine clones, each which will then receive a JRPG parody, and the creators will go on to create a really lackluster sequel everyone will pan vehemently, and ten years down the road people will say "The sequel wasn't good, but it wasn't terrible, either" and be met with a resounding "Eh"

You heard it here first, on Doomworld. ;)