Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
h.brick

Lowering the volume of a MIDI?

I'm currently working on some maps and I found a pretty sick MIDI song online. Problem is that in Zandronum, it plays WAAAAY too loud and makes the other music sound really quiet by comparison.

What software should I use to lower the volume... if possible? I'm not very experienced with MIDI editing.

Blue Shadow said:

There is a tool that's called midivol, which should do what you want. You can find it here.

This did what I needed. Thanks!!

Sekaiju is pretty boss, I've heard from experienced MIDI sequencers that it's far better than Anvil Studio. It's a bit odd at first, but everything in it at least makes sense, even to someone who's musically retarded like me.

Or you could use that midivol thing, whatever floats your boat.

Bloodshedder said:

MIDI files is not one of those things.

It isn't?

I know MIDI files are different from usual audio files, but having never really taken much interest in them I didn't really know if Audacity had any sort of compatibility with them, oh well.

Jaxxoon R said:

Sekaiju is pretty boss, I've heard from experienced MIDI sequencers that it's far better than Anvil Studio. It's a bit odd at first, but everything in it at least makes sense, even to someone who's musically retarded like me.

Or you could use that midivol thing, whatever floats your boat.

Sekaiju is amazing. I still use Anvil Studio to input notes since I don't have a MIDI keyboard/can't play keyboard anyway and I find its piano roll interface a bit more intuitive. But for putting in stuff like pitch bends/panning/midi effects Sekaiju's interface is so much better.

If you need to mess with volume you can just open up the file and change the channel volumes or select all of the notes and apply a percentage decrease to the velocity of all note events really easily in Sekaiju.

TendaMonsta said:

Anvil Studio

I've never managed to change the absolute volume of the song in Anvil Studio. Am I missing something?

Well by the nature of Midi there isn't really an "absolute volume" or master volume for the whole file. You have to go at it either through the volume for each track or through the velocities of the individual note on events. The former is pretty easy to do in Anvil Studio.