Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Unregistered account

New Firebringer concept art!

Hi all! I know that I'm not a great artist and that this completely goes against the name and the design brief of the Firebringer (Archvile replacement), but here's a few rough ideas for it!

CONCEPT ART

Normal/running

Attacking

Resurrecting

Obviously, if it passes, it'll need a new name. Dark Druid? Something like that. And the fire sprite would need to be changed. I'd offer a full sprite replacement myself but I have no idea how to make Doom graphics in Paint.NET (or even how to use Paint.NET), so I'll leave it to people who know what they're doing, like Raymoohawk.

Some errors are proportions, especially on the resurrect frames (the raised arm varies heights in the two illustrations) and it's only been partially coloured, but I want the cloak/robe to be black ideally and the little patterns at the top of the hood to be, like, gold.

Also, there's the problem that it's meant to float, but the Archvile A). can't fly and B). Moves a bit too fast for it to really suit the character. Other notes include the fact that, as described in the illustration (but you may not be able to decipher from my handwriting), the robes should waft as it "floats" along and the purple energy field thing around the tome/book should shimmer. For the death amimation, he should crack (cracks would be outlined in purple or blue) and the pieces would fall to the ground and the book would turn to dust/ash that filter falls to the ground. Something dramatic like that.
If you wanted to be slightly comical, you could have him holding his stomach before cracking, since his death sound goes something like, "WHUUH--?? OOOOooooOOOOHHH..."

What do you think?

You can still make him float just by shuffling the robe and keeping the sprite 8 or so units off the ground without the actor actually leaving the ground. I do like the concept, though.

I can put together a cheapo costume and get on my turntable to do some photography work. My friend Freder (who's registered here but never really visits or posts) is into photography so we could probably set up a chromakey background and some good lighting.

While as far as I know there's already an eyeball guy, a robed guy would be really easy to do quickly and in high quality. Raymoohawk, if you're reading this, how far have you gotten? If you've not made much progress since you last posted about it, do you mind letting it hang a bit to see if I can get this done quickly? Hopefully I can get it done in 2 weeks or less.

I like the idea of a wizard Firebringer, and it matches the chanting sounds he has quite well. :)

The only thing to watch out for is that the concept looks a bit close to Heretic's wizard. Just something to keep in mind.

It seems to me that the Vile is a Demon based wizard. It does not seem right for a demon character to be clothed like a monk (human).

The floating is going to cause trouble. More of the head in the ceiling problems like I just fixed on the revenant.

i honestly prefeer urric archvile, seems to fit more with freedoom monsters. while that one doesnt look bad probably will fit way better in blasphemer.

im going to check on my old hard drive if i have by any chance the animated gift of the attack of the archvile that urric did. i remember he sent me the colored version. which was like the one have in his photobucket, the eye thing charge the attack and then launch it with it eye like if it were a shock /psychic attac.

Wait, if Freedom's monsters are meant to be aliens, how come we have Hell levels and "Undead servants"? :/

But I understand if this idea wouldn't fit - and the eyeball monster looks really well made anyway.

If I were to try and submit this to Blasphemer, I think it would probably be rejected for being too similar to the Disciple of D'sparil. I didn't actually base this art on that enemy, believe it or not. More of a Lego Heroica thing, I dunno.

well several monsters are placeholders, maybe its a good idea to make both urric and joe archviles, and later pick one of them for the archvile and the other for another monster, people already confuse urrics archvile for a revenant over at zdoom

if that were the case, would be a pretty neat idea this monster would replace the archvile, since "mind controlled missile" (or magic) would make more sense for those homing projectile (since revenants shoots them trough cannon they always made me thing that these were homing missiles) since urric archvile would look weird shooting homing missiles trough the eye.

Jewellds said:

The only thing to watch out for is that the concept looks a bit close to Heretic's wizard. Just something to keep in mind.

This was my immediate thought as well. My advice is to make a deliberate effort to make this as different and distinct as is possible.

well what i mean

that urric archvile should be the archvile since he made the sprite to be used as archvile that time.

for my view point the actual revenant looks kinda well "funny", black gremlin but i dont see how can throw fireballs (or missile) if they plan to use the wizard that joe667 did, then that one should replace the revenant since you know would make more sense that he trow magic or mind controlled projectiles (homing missiles from revenant). maybe modified a bit as you did with the monsters would fit along with freedoom monsters and can be keep both

i have to check the old hard drive disk, since im still getting back most of the data on that disk. i will look for them this sunday. since most of the urric work he sent to me i always save it on a separate folder let just hope is still there, i remember the last one i got was the colored attack animation and the death colored animation too..

i hope you can find it :) i still think making both monsters is a good idea as it gives more choices with what to fill the roster

Z0k said:

while that one doesnt look bad probably will fit way better in blasphemer.

^
This right here. It's a shame to see Blasphemer as empty as it is, especially because the few things that are not placeholders in the form of smiley faces look pretty cool.

i think id rather see it in freedoom, iirc freedoom has time travel instead of teleprotation no? and if it was in blasphemer wouldt that count as the recreation thing carmack said we couldnt do (althoug i guess raven could have a different policy)

I never heard of the Freedoom time travel thing. Is that true?

Also, I don't think that is recreating the wizard from Heretic, because:

*No trident
*No book in the Heretic wizard
*Floating wizards in robes is not exclusive to Heretic at ALL
*I assume it would have way different sounds
*Probably would not function as Heretic's wizard (that floating head does that already)

Also, as mentioned before, he's not really alien-like, and Blasphemer desperately needs attention.

The only recreation problem I see is the black robe/gold markings color scheme, but that could be changed easily, if need be. Perhaps brown robe/green or red markings?

EDIT: Maybe he can function as the Iron Lich?

I don't see why FreeDoom and Blasphemer couldn't share an enemy.

Time travel was the main focus of my story. This sprite would not fit with time travel. There is no magic.

I still like time travel and it is going to be even more plausible with raymoohawk's dinosaurish baron.

raymoohawk said:

the grell already replaces the iron lich

No. Grell replaces the Disciple. Notice how he blinks in and out of translucency and fires the triple attack? That is Disciple behavior. The lich shoots tornados and fire and ice.

speaking of blasphemer, couldnt eriance´s hirophant replace one of the flying enemies (im not really sure if its made from scratch thoug)

Not to derail but is someone actually working on Blasphemer still?

If so, I wouldn't mind contributing some textures if there are any missing but that is probably all I have the chops to do.

Also free time is limited recently.

i think soda is maintaining it, but im not sure. i would be willing to contribute monsters starting on december, school is holding me back right now :-)

Well I guess whenever soda sees this he can confirm or w/e (also is the code.google.com site linked in the wiki still the place to be?). Either way I would like to contribute since Heretic owns and its relative neglect/lack of community interest makes me sad.

uhh, end derail I guess.