Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clusterone666

Where should Multiplayer questions/discussions be posted?

Just real quick, where on Doomworld would I go to post up multiplayer discussions and games I held and such? Can't seem to find a place, figured Doom General would be best, but don't know for sure.

To be honest, a multiplayer subforum sounds like a good idea. A vast majority of news on the main site concern multiplayer events anyway, so why not have a dedicated section to discuss those, post tutorials (like this one by Doomkid), etc. It could be put under the "special interest" section.

Patrol1985 said:

To be honest, a multiplayer subforum sounds like a good idea. A vast majority of news on the main site concern multiplayer events anyway, so why not have a dedicated section to discuss those, post tutorials (like this one by Doomkid), etc. It could be put under the "special interest" section.

+1 to this, it would be nice to have, as I want to start running and hosting, and playing multiplayer with the people on here.
Plus it would reduce some clutter a little! And shouldn't be too hard to manage!
Also, I am going to be running a H2HXmas.wad co-op game on Zdaemon probably tomorrow or tuesday if anyone is interested!

Patrol1985 said:

To be honest, a multiplayer subforum sounds like a good idea.

I think this is a great idea. Source Ports only covers a small percentage of questions asked by the general Dooming public/newbies and tends to be more techie-oriented. A section for multiplayer Doom of any given variety would be swell, but I guess there's always Doom General, and of course the source port forums themselves.

I think a multiplayer subforum is actually a decent idea. Typically you'd probably be pointed to one of the multiplayer subcommunity forums, but there's kind of a problem with insularity between Doomworld and places like Zdaemon or Zandronum (even Odamex, barring 32in24 release parties), and perhaps a general multiplayer forum would be a good step towards bridging that gap.

Marcaek said:

perhaps a general multiplayer forum would be a good step towards bridging that gap.

This puts a whole new perspective on it - I would love to see that happen. The communtiy subsections are indeed too insulated.

Doomworld used to have a multiplayer forum several years ago, but activity was very low and the forum was closed. All the threads were moved to Doom General. AlexMax was bugging me some time ago to make a Multiplayer forum again, and I told him if he found all the threads that got moved, I would recreate the forum and move them all back...

Bloodshedder said:

Doomworld used to have a multiplayer forum several years ago, but activity was very low and the forum was closed. All the threads were moved to Doom General. AlexMax was bugging me some time ago to make a Multiplayer forum again, and I told him if he found all the threads that got moved, I would recreate the forum and move them all back...

So it's scavenger hunt time? xD

The Multiplayer forum was closed some time around December 2006, so the bulk of the threads moved to this forum would be from before that time. But there would also probably be more than a few from the following 8 years, both in Doom General and probably Source Ports. If someone wants to volunteer to find all of them...

Bloodshedder said:

If someone wants to volunteer to find all of them...

It might be more difficult than expected, given that many threads focus on more than one aspect of the gameplay experience, but for a start, here are the results of "multiplayer OR deathmatch OR coop" in:

Doom General:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=635150&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Source Ports:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=635151&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

But anyway, I don't think it's such a great idea to open a "Multiplayer" subforum, given that if it was inactive 8 years ago, chances are it will be even less populated now. But who knows, maybe Doom is resurrecting?

Zed said:

It might be more difficult than expected, given that many threads focus on more than one aspect of the gameplay experience, but for a start, here are the results of "multiplayer OR deathmatch OR coop" in:

Doom General:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=635150&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Source Ports:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=635151&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

But anyway, I don't think it's such a great idea to open a "Multiplayer" subforum, given that if it was inactive 8 years ago, chances are it will be even less populated now. But who knows, maybe Doom is resurrecting?

Well, with Doom 4 coming out soon(TM) (And we all know they will probably RE-RELEASE the original Doom's with Doom 4), it may see a resurgance.

Clusterone666 said:

Well, with Doom 4 coming out soon(TM) (And we all know they will probably RE-RELEASE the original Doom's with Doom 4), it may see a resurgance.

Besides, I think id Software intends Doom 4 to have a solid multiplayer mode. They want players to beta test the game and I doubt it concerns the single-player campaign.

Zed said:

I swear I see more people online thse days than I ever did in years gone by. Some time around 2012 things seemed to boom a bit. Now there's always at least a few populated servers between the 3 online ports.

I guess some people haven't updated yet and are using servers which don't appear on the latest versions.

Doomkid said:

I swear I see more people online thse days than I ever did in years gone by. Some time around 2012 things seemed to boom a bit. Now there's always at least a few populated servers between the 3 online ports.

Yeah i've noticed that as well.

Avoozl said:

I guess some people haven't updated yet and are using servers which don't appear on the latest versions.

Hmm, I just opened up IDE - With the up to date version of the 3 ports, there are 85 players across 21 servers. Not a whole lot, but impressive considering it's Doom. Sometimes I log in and (happily) find there to be about 200 players.

A multiplayer sub-forum won't be too bad an idea, but it probably won't work.

It closed down 8 years ago due to inactivity. It probably won't even last more than 3 months at this rate.

Times and attitudes change. Perhaps this time people will have a better understanding of how cross-community involvement can benefit them.

Yeah, I agree. Multiplayer Doom seems to have slowly but surely increased in popularity over the last 4-5 years. I feel like the "too many Doom forums" thing might be a bit intimidating, and I understand people not wanting to sign up to ZD/Zan/Oda forums just to ask one question they could have thrown up on DW.

I suppose it all fits under Doom General, but still, I'm behind the idea.

Bloodshedder said:

The Multiplayer forum was closed some time around December 2006, so the bulk of the threads moved to this forum would be from before that time. But there would also probably be more than a few from the following 8 years, both in Doom General and probably Source Ports. If someone wants to volunteer to find all of them...

You silly billy, look in the database for moderator notes for threads that were moved circa that time period.

Linguica said:

You silly billy, look in the database for moderator notes for threads that were moved circa that time period.

Yeah I looked for that already. Don't think that gets recorded when a mass move is done.

EDIT: Besides, it only tells you what forum the thread was moved to, not where it came from.

Why would a new forum need to have all of the old posts back? It's not like things from 2006 are even relevant in the current multiplayer scene

True. The massive continuity hole wouldn't help either. If you want to give this a chance, just add v2 to the name or whatever. The old threads would just confuse people.

Ralphis said:

Why would a new forum need to have all of the old posts back?

For posterity. An alternative would be to catalog the old threads and sticky a big list of links in the new forum.

dew said:

True. The massive continuity hole wouldn't help either. If you want to give this a chance, just add v2 to the name or whatever. The old threads would just confuse people.

Agreed. There's no reason not to just start fresh. Let the older posts reside in Doom General, why bother with all the effort for something no one will need? If someone really wants to ask a question about CSDoom, Skulltag, Doom95 netplay or other stuff that no sane person would do these days, they could just use the search function.

If you guys implement this, I know people would get use out of it.

I support having a separate forum for Multiplayer questions.
There are many aspects of those kind of questions that do not fit in Source Ports, and get lost in General Doom.

I would also bring back old forum posts that were uniquely appropriate for the online multiplayer Doom playing. Even if they are old they still have information that may help newbies.

DoomLegacy has multiplayer enhancements, but I do not get to try them out (I got a Dial-up modem). I don't have answers for internet gaming questions. I would be interested in any information posted on this forum.