Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archi

[RELEASE]Rush - Now on idgames

Been waiting for the final version. Wow. 5 MB smaller than RC1? Were those all unused textures?

A couple of things: CWILV12 graphic is titled "Rush" but HUSTR_13 in the dehacked is "The End".

And is MAP34 a test map you accidentally left in?

Were those all unused textures?

Yep. It's hard to remove them, at least for me. Slade removes some used patches and WCleaner removed some too.

A couple of things: CWILV12 graphic is titled "Rush" but HUSTR_13 in the dehacked is "The End".

That's for "Rush finished" message. Not obvious, I know, but I'm too tired to think about how to improve it.

And is MAP34 a test map you accidentally left in?

Map34 is for the DEMO1.

Archi said:

Map34 is for the DEMO1.

Never thought about that. That's a pretty smart idea.

this was a really fun mapset. i loved the budget slaughter vibe (not an insult i swear) and map06 was a neat mindfuck. this is worth playing for map12 alone tho, destination is fuckin gorgeous, i barely onticed that most of the playing area was a bunch of squares and rectangles. every area is so neatly individualistic (like the cube maze and the obelisk yard and the big bridge area just after the start with those huge hypnotic pyramids from the ceiling) and the fights are Hell of neat, I was hooked up until the very end.

MAP12 is also really fucked up tho, there is some kind of nodebuilding error that crashed the level in eternity when i was troubleshooting after my first playthrough. i originally played thru in zdoom and got all the way to the end... only to find that the exit scripting with the skull gate doesnt work. it runs fine in prboom but the voodoo doll isnt moving at all in zdoom for some reason. all the same, i really enjoyed it as a nice topper to all the fun slaughter. thanks!

Map 12 is a work of art. While the technical skill is currently beyond me, I am wanting to use those pulsating ceiling lights (on the red structures hanging down from the ceiling) in my own maps in future.

It seems that you used a player 1 voodoo doll to achieve this effect, endlessly scrolling and teleporting back across a series of lines, each of which temporarily boosts the brightness of the sectors in sequence.

How does this actually work? Why don't the sectors simply stay at brightness 255, instead of "pulsing" back to 128? Is this something to do with the "light glows +1 sec" sector effect?

a sector with glow effect likes to oscillate between the darkest and brightest light values it can find in adjacent sectors (including itself). if you force it to 255 via the change brightness effects it will decrement the brightness to get it back into the range it wants to be. if the 'glowing' range is 0 (e.g. brightness of glowing sector is 128, and all adjacent sectors are also 128) the only observable effect after changing the brightness to 255 will be the fade back to 128.

it's really quite awesome, lots of fun to play around with

MajorRawne said:

How does this actually work?

If I got it right, there's three values in one sector, one of them is the darkest adjacent brightness, second one is the brightness at the start of the game and the third one is the current brightness. So, if the darkest and starting brightness is the same, there will be no glow, but if you change the current brightness to 255, it will start to reducing with time to get to the darkest level and then start to increase to starting brightness, and it will not, because starting brightness is the same as the darkest.
It will probably work to increase from level 35 too, I think, I just didn't try it anywhere.

LingtheDoomGuy
Cool videos, enjoyed watching them.

Thanks! I'm glad you liked them. I'm now on the last level now. The previous one was brutal, especially at the end with all those arch-viles after getting the yellow key. I had to quicksave at that part cause the horde of arch-viles kept screwing me over and killed me so many times. Sometimes the invulnerability doesn't teleport out.

As for level 12, it looks so big and I have a feeling it could take me a long time to finish it. I'm hoping it doesn't take over 3 hours to finish, like Community Chest's map29: Citadel at the Edge of Eternity.

Bumping this thread with a bug report and a request.

On map12 there are several places with clearly-visible HOM, for example next to the blue key:

This goes away if the map is rebuilt with ZDBSP.

Even if you don't think this is a bug worthy of a reupload, I would like to request you do it anyway. It is not clear to me why you used DeepBSP to build extended nodes. It would be better if new maps only used one kind of extended nodes format, and I believe ZDBSP is the superior one, for various reasons including its increased accuracy, and the fact that it stores its extra vertexes in their own space instead of adding them on to the existing vertexes lump.

There are apparently no existing demos of the map so you would not be breaking anyone's work by making the change.

Thank you for your consideration.

Archi said:

IIRC, I didn't use ZDBSP because it doesn't generate reject table. But I think there's not so many enemies, that the requires that table, so I'll rebuild it.

Thank you for the quick and positive reply.

DeepBSP seems to do the same as most other nodebuilders when dealing with reject lumps: that is, it generates one filled with zeroes*. In particular, map12 in the /idgames release has such a zero-filled reject (all 7MB of it!).

I believe ZDBSP can be made to build a zero-filled reject too, but it does not by default: this turns out to be fine, as all engines with extended nodes support can also cope with missing (zero-length) reject lumps, treating them as the functional equivalent of a correctly-sized zero-filled lump.

In short, I believe you lose nothing by switching nodebuilders for map12. Indeed, any slowdown I experience is from looking across a wide vista of the map's complex architecture. Monsters' line-of-sight checks are comparatively inconsequential.

________
* Unfortunately there are very few tools that can build "real" reject maps, and none that can handle extended nodes. The venerable RMB was perhaps for a time the "best", but it is DOS-only, and to my knowledge has no source code. There was WARM, but its reject maps were often buggy. The current best option is ZenNode, but is size-limited, as I discovered when I tried to run it on SF2012 map28.

Oops, you are right, rejects for map12 is just filled with zeros, I didn't look into it, thinking that it works right. Thanks for explanation.

So I was planning to make a sequel or just extend the wad with new maps, but my mapping is not going well for a long time. Here are 3 small easy maps I was making since last winter, there were two more but these maps are not finished and I'm not in the mood for mapping for a a while and most likely never going to finish them and probably not going to make any new maps.

I apologize if someone wants to play this on a different skill setting, I'm not sure if they are implemented (probably only the first map has some differences). I always have some troubles with arranging difficulty settings. Play on ITYTD to make sure it is easier than UV.

Screens:

REIYU2D.jpg

P8wkbcI.jpg

kjmEe2L.jpg

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/6pyzygdekywz4po/r2_3maps.zip

BUMP!

@Archi Just a quick possible bug or something: in map 12, at the triple-colour switch at the end, only the blue and yellow locks lowered, the red lock remained immobile and in consequence the bars never lowered. I had to idclip, which also linedef skipped the archvile I guess. 

I expected 900 enemies in the first map, was pleasantly suprised. The pacing is on point. I did dislike how most of the secrets were very near each other.