Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

The Underrated and Overrated Thread

Snakes said:

While I generally that it's not a good beer, the foreign export stout is absolutely ace and what I consider 'real' Guinness to be.

I like Guinness for its simple bitey flavour, its drinkability and how easy it is on my stomach. But I definitely agree with Snakes, the foreign extra stout is tip-top; the Australian made ones are especially not too bad in contrast to the macro-crap that's brewed all over here.

Overrated ; ...
Generally i can not stand movies after the media tries to give them meaning beyond what is even there.
Dumb, simple, explosive action movies about fights, and smoke, and action getting infused with fake meaning
about our social lives and economic existence... No they are not, it are explosions and action scenes about
kids or adults blowing things up while fighting and spewing bland words...

Underrated ; Waterworld.
This movie was well made while containing a good action story with a bit of an adventure feel to it.
Eveything you see in this movie are classic special effects meaning it had to be made in real life with
full scale or miniature models. Kevin Costner played his character as if he was living it, and so did the
other actors. Because a real life, true scale wooden atola crashed on the shores it became a very expensive
ordeal, meaning ; corrupt movie industry practices tried to call it a bad movie because it had financial
problems back then. By now however people and tv stations have shown to find this a generaly good movie.

Overrated: SHERLOCK

So BBC decided to make a drama about the detective. Right off the bat I notice there's cop cars, electronics, etc. Woah, WOAH WHAT.
OK, we have 21st century Holmes played by Benedict Cumberbatch, and here's the next problem-a good majority of the popularity is because teenage girls find him attractive. Watson is an Iraq veteran. I'll sorta let this one slide, since he was actually a war veteran. Then there's all this melodrama about "Sherlock is crazy, stay away from Sherlock Holmes..." out of absolute nowhere, to which he responds, "I'm a highly-functioning sociopath." ...OK.
THEN we get a case about some dude causing people to take pills and die and blah blah but by now I've lost interest. I actually got around to finishing an episode, but I never really was interested after that.

Underrated: Alien vs Predator
Wow. This got much hate from fans ans crtics alike. I really enjoyed it. The story behind the Hunt is pretty interesting. I liked the weird atmosphere. It was sort of an Egyptian pyramid, but it was also freezing cold in the place they were at. I found the weird mix of Egyptian architecture and blue-grayish icy color rather unique. The action was amazing. The Predators and the Xenos both looked cool in combat. They paid attention to the canon of Alien and Predator, complete with Lance Henriksen (Bishop from Aliens) as the real Charles Bishop Weyland.
Overall, the experience was awesome for me, and I don't see why so many Alien/Predator fans hate it so much.

FireFish said:

Kevin Costner played his character as if he was living it, and so did the other actors.
[snip]corrupt movie industry practices tried to call it a bad movie because it had financial problems back then.

Heh. I agree that Waterworld is an underrated and strangely enjoyable movie, but praising Kevin Costner's acting abilities is a bit too much to stomach. His underplayed Mad Max ripoff clashes with everyone else's hysterical overplaying, not that Kevin can act in a significantly different way.

And sure, the movie got mocked after release, but not for being all-around bad, the reviews were more of the "meh, didn't care" variety. It's most definitely a lackluster experience given its (then) record budget, those $200mil are in no way justified and any critic worth his salt had to slash it for that alone. Add over the top acting, plot holes, unabashed copying of Mad Max and unfulfilled hype and you can say Waterworld actually got off lightly. There was no conspiracy of jaded critics, if that is what you're suggesting.

Underrated: Call of Duty Series

A lot people give a lot of bull about the series being the same game over and over again not knowing that the people actually write new stories for each game, The writing is pretty good, they actually did some thought on the writing, it can be heavy handed at times but it does not feel like those 90's FMV cut scenes, it feels like a cinmatic movie. Call of Duty has also been a trend setter and never the trend follower, while people were doing World War II shooters they did a Modern War setting and soon everyone followed.

Overrated: Call of Duty Series

I gotta admit the gameplay of each call of duty has been pretty much the same "Find Objective" "Do Objective" "shoot stuff" "exit", same controls same ultra realistic feel, they did change it up with Zombies but Zombies were a bit over done.

Overrated: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (the most overrated bedtime story for little babies about an alien in cinema history) and many (if not all) other Spielberg's movies

Underrated: The Thing (now thats how an alien life form probably looks like) and many other Carpenter's creations

John Carpenter is considered underrated? By who? Almost everyone I've talked too claim he only makes gold.

Spielberg has a couple films that probably get more credit than they deserve, though. Saving Private Ryan, for example. Like, the film exists for the opening fight, the sniper duel, and the final fight. Everything else is literally just padding in between those events. Nothing else interesting happens, I swear.

Overrated: Mario 64
The game is pretty ugly by any modern standard and the controls are obnoxiously loose. There's also the fact that slope physics are contextual (What do you mean I can't run up this 45 degree grass slope after I just ran up a vertical wall in two different levels?)

Jaxxoon R said:

Overrated: Mario 64
The game is pretty ugly by any modern standard and the controls are obnoxiously loose.

Mario Sunshine is pretty much a gazillion times better for these two reasons. Still, I do love Mario 64, it is a very fun and challenging game. Despite the blurry textures, at least contrasting colors were used well. Hell, if I'm being honest, I think it's visuals are a lot less puke-ified than most N64 games.

Jaxxoon R said:

There's also the fact that slope physics are contextual (What do you mean I can't run up this 45 degree grass slope after I just ran up a vertical wall in two different levels?)

Okay, that shit was just fucking annoying..

Super Mario 64 DS seemed to go the opposite way than Super Mario 64 as far as textures are concerned, they were made lower res and without any filtering applied, if filtering were applied they'd look more blurry I'd gather.

I'd agree that Super Mario Sunshine was a much better game than Super Mario 64 despite having less worlds.

Overrated: Smoking. It's really not that big of a deal-- and yet kids are so hyped up to try it.

I don't think I've known anything that's utterly and completely underrated.

Overrated: Sarah Jessica Parker,

She is fucking ugly! She has a horse face, and no redeeming qualities.

Underrated: Francine Fournier

I can't believe they didn't renew her contract, because she wasn't hot enough. She has very sleazy look that I can appreciate.

Underrated : Robin Williams, his suicide is already forgotten after 3 weeks.
Overrated : Curt Cobain, I listen to nirvana and stuff but why is his suicide so popular.
Underrated : 90's green day, If Billie Joe would kill himself right after making 'Dookie', he would be more popular then Curt Cobain.
The songs of the 90's green day are melodic, smart and some times heavy, yet the only people I've met only know about the 2000's green day, the 2000's songs have it's gems, but not every song is good, every 90'song by them was good and no bad songs were there.
Screeching Weasel, is just very low on fans. They doesn't even have a video with at least a 500k views, no wonder they rarely do any songs since they left the 90's.

The Mario discussion above has inspired me..

Underrated: Mario Sunshine. This is easily the best of the "Big 3" 3D Mario games. It's far more fluent and beautiful than Mario 64, and the FLUDD thingy really adds multiple new dimensions to how the game can be played. I remember the criticism when it was first released, and I just couldn't understand why. It was everything we liked about Mario64, but better. I guess the environments were generall less abstract, but I feel this helped rather than hindered. It has just under half the sales of both Mario64 and Mario Galaxy, which I just don't get. Speaking of...

Overrated: Mario Galaxy. This game was beautiful, though not as impressive as Sunsine was for their respective release years. The gameplay put a bit too much focus on gimmicks. And worst of all.. I can't think of a better way to describe it, but it's really, really gay. Some of the music and scenes and animations just make me cringe with their overflowing happiness and cutesyness. Mario games have always been kinda cute, but this just went way over the top with the sparkles and glitter and girliness and shit. I know everyone won't agree, but Mario 64 has bigger balls than both Sunshine and Galaxy. (Just listen to those Bowser fight themes... No songs in Galaxy even come close. The game is all big and bloated with out of place orchestral music... Mario is about steel drums and catchy, minimalist riffs. The music is nice, sure, but it just ain't "Mario"..)

Oh, and come on! Making the game so damn short just to squeeze out an identical sequel? How cheap! Doom 2 mighta gotten away with it in 1994, but times have changed. Way to take inspiration from the CoD business formula.

Overrated: Gabe Newell, he gets credited as the greatest developer, I mean sure he does respond to fan feedback but that doesn't make someone the greatest developer of the industry, he even stated that the PS3 is a broken and unfinished console just because it was too "hard" for him to develop with, yep he definitely is the greatest developer in the industry.

Underrated: GOG, It is an excellent website that has very good games for low prices and its DRM free. The reason I believe it's underrated is because the core gamers are most likely turned off by the fact of the antiquity of alot of the games.

Doomkid said:

The Mario discussion above has inspired me..

Underrated: Mario Sunshine. This is easily the best of the "Big 3" 3D Mario games. It's far more fluent and beautiful than Mario 64, and the FLUDD thingy really adds multiple new dimensions to how the game can be played. I remember the criticism when it was first released, and I just couldn't understand why. It was everything we liked about Mario64, but better. I guess the environments were generall less abstract, but I feel this helped rather than hindered. It has just under half the sales of both Mario64 and Mario Galaxy, which I just don't get. Speaking of...

Overrated: Mario Galaxy. This game was beautiful, though not as impressive as Sunsine was for their respective release years. The gameplay put a bit too much focus on gimmicks. And worst of all.. I can't think of a better way to describe it, but it's really, really gay. Some of the music and scenes and animations just make me cringe with their overflowing happiness and cutesyness. Mario games have always been kinda cute, but this just went way over the top with the sparkles and glitter and girliness and shit. I know everyone won't agree, but Mario 64 has bigger balls than both Sunshine and Galaxy. (Just listen to those Bowser fight themes... No songs in Galaxy even come close. The game is all big and bloated with out of place orchestral music... Mario is about steel drums and catchy, minimalist riffs. The music is nice, sure, but it just ain't "Mario"..)

Oh, and come on! Making the game so damn short just to squeeze out an identical sequel? How cheap! Doom 2 mighta gotten away with it in 1994, but times have changed. Way to take inspiration from the CoD business formula.

If you wear those rose tinted glasses any longer you might go blind. SMG and SMG2 are almost nothing alike outside of their basic gameplay construct neither.

Overrated: TF2, sure I enjoy it a bit lately but I feel it's just not as good as most people say it is.

Underrated: Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, while it may have been my first class based objective multiplayer fps game I still enjoyed it much more than I did with TF2, it died a bit early though due to TF2 coming out if I recall correctly.

Hell's Vendetta said:

If you wear those rose tinted glasses any longer you might go blind. SMG and SMG2 are almost nothing alike outside of their basic gameplay construct neither.

You called me out - I've only played a few stages of SMG2, I never bought it. It seemed way too similar at a glance, I'll have to try again.

Also rofl @ a fucking Doomworld user talking about rose tinted goggles. As if we're not all into retro stuff (post-2000 is retro?)

Underrated: GOG, It is an excellent website that has very good games for low prices and its DRM free. The reason I believe it's underrated is because the core gamers are most likely turned off by the fact of the antiquity of alot of the games.

The way they present themselves gives me a strong used car salesman feel, regardless if it's about their own brand or the snippets they add on each individual game store page. I wonder if I'm alone in that. It's a bit of a turn off. I love GOG btw, but mostly because I ignore the presentation and enjoy the actual service they provide.

Doominator2 said:

Overrated: Gabe Newell, he gets credited as the greatest developer, I mean sure he does respond to fan feedback but that doesn't make someone the greatest developer of the industry, he even stated that the PS3 is a broken and unfinished console just because it was too "hard" for him to develop with, yep he definitely is the greatest developer in the industry.

Yeah, that's true, but now saying that the PS3 is a broken and unfinished console and it's hard to develop with is, that's no excuse, no shit Gaben.
Not to mention that your Steam is overrated and there are better services than yours like GoG and many others.

raymoohawk said:

Strife is massively underrated

Sure it is, i spent a lot of time with it and i enjoyed it very much.
Althrough it is sad it doesn't have many mods fo it.

Avoozl said:

Underrated: Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, while it may have been my first class based objective multiplayer fps game I still enjoyed it much more than I did with TF2, it died a bit early though due to TF2 coming out if I recall correctly.

I am still amazed by its graphics in the idtech3 which is using the megatexture technology for quake wars.
The outdoor enviroments can be quite a sight at times. Even if games advanced a lot, this game at max stil
is a beuty with fantastic yet simple team based gameplay.

Caffeine Freak said:

Overrated: Guinness beer... it has no real kick or heavy flavor to it.

Indeed. I found LIDL's Perlenbacher Schwarzbier to be much closer to what I'd expect from a "dark beer": that one has a heavy, smoky flavor and some character, besides a pretty color. Too bad it's not available all year round, but only as a limited quantity special item. Whenever it's available, I stock up on it.

Guinness and the Doors are great. f u guys

I don't like Guinness because it's so "dark" and I think the obsessive culture around it is as annoying as the next guy. But Guinness from the tap is just damn good to me. If they got it to stay that way in the bottle i would keep several packs in the fridge.

Maybe the Doors weren't so revolutionary, but they made some damn good music.

dam this song good

Overrated:
IPAs. I hate saying this. I'm not the biggest IPA fan, but I respect the genuine affection many people here and elsewhere have for them. However, it really is getting to the "my beer palate is refined because yum IPA!" reputation.

Doom 2. Hey kids, do you prefer the first Doom? Then you're stupid and nostalgic, and can't appreciate qualities like use of vertical space in a game where you can't look up and down!

Underrated:
Steel Reserve. Why do 19/20 people get the same damn look on their face when I tell them I like this stuff? It doesn't taste cheap or crappy or nasty to me. Just different. And a different that I think makes it delicious. Currently enjoying a 40 ounce portion of this fine beverage.

The Adicts, The Casualties, Against Me!, My Chemical Romance, etc. There are a lot of bands that "try too hard" to fit a certain image, and it distracts from the fact that they actually make great music, and it's a shame.

Snakes said:

Underrated - The Waterboys' Fisherman's Blues. Kind of unconventional, but this album is just a masterpiece and so few people have heard of it stateside. Kind of surprising, really.

Hell yes. The Waterboys in general deserve more exposure here. (I personally like This Is the Sea better, but they're both brilliant in different ways.)

Overrated: Minecraft

Too much merchandizing, too grindy gameplay, too little acknowledgement of the far more fun Infiniminer it derived itself from.

Underrated: David Lynch's Dune film

Eh, yeah, it was pretty fucked up in many ways, but I enjoyed it. Obviously nowhere near the "definitive" Dune experience, but I started on it (knowing that it's regarded as unfaithful). I enjoy the casting, the visual direction and the music direction. Really nice atmosphere, and Herbert himself didn't hate the movie so I guess that's worth something.

Of course, I still prefer the book version, but hey, I appreciate art born of hard work when I see it.