Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sokoro

Why does slavery and torture camps still exist? What can be done?

Oh yea, after so many important topics lately (like the Gamersgate, etc), I thought I would start something lighthearted.

I sometimes use Google to look for things that most people do not.
I found some distrubing pictures (can go into details if you want to), which made me google more, though I was too busy with playing games, so I did not google much.

It seems that slavery, old style one and the new one where people are exported to another country to work for minimal wage under poor conditions, and also concentration camps, where people are abused tortured and murdered are still a real thing, now in 21th century.

Why is this still happening and can anything be done to stop it?
You may not believe it, but I do actually care.

I found some websites, which could be a good start, but I am not sure if they are truthfull or just some product of propaganda to achieve.. uh what would they achieve?
http://www.antislavery.org/english/slavery_today/what_is_modern_slavery.aspx
http://freekorea.us/about/

Feel free to point me to better sources.

Sometimes I feel like the technology changed but people are still same assholes.

To quote Doomworld faq: "Most threads about touchy or controversial issues quickly turn into an argument between two or more people with differing views." I would be suprised if anyone starts to defend torture and slavery here, would take serious balls.

Where there is profit to be made, there's a means to keep it alive. Unfortunately, I don't think slavery and such will ever cease to exist. Shouldn't stop us from fighting it as lives still need to be saved, but this is a never ending battle for as long as humans are still around.

Sokoro said:

the new one where people are exported to another country to work for minimal wage under poor conditions,

This is why I can't get a job in my own country, the Australian government is deliberately importing these kind of workers and then they have the nerve to say that it's our fault that there are no jobs available.
all to save a buck -_-

Sorry, but I like my enslaved Negro-Mexican-Albino-Furries right where they are, picking my Banana-Cotton plants. Their slave music is quite charming, and recording them rakes in a couple extra bucks each quarter. Four albums so far, most incorporating the same six songs.

I think everyone can agree that slavery is awful.

I wish everyone could agree that gamersgreat thing is pretty much unimportant. It's been happening for years.

Doomkid said:

I think everyone can agree that slavery is awful.

I wish everyone could agree that gamersgreat thing is pretty much unimportant. It's been happening for years.

I agree that gamers are great. :)

...but yes, slavery does exist, in the world, it even exists in the usa. It's not a grounbreaking discovery, and its not difficult to find out about it. The most famous camp is Guantanamo Bay.

Doomkid said:

It is of high importance because it involves people making money !!
How dare you slander adult men and woman having sex, and making money out of a hobby !!
If a video game blogger loses integrity the world ends and all life will die because of it !!
;-)

@sokoro ;
I love that opening sentence.

To my knowledge there are western countries making convicts pick up trash and nobody calls
it slavery. But if by example russia makes convicts rebuild a house it is slavery...

facelessdoomer said:

I don't see why slavery is something that is needed. If somebody did something truly terrible, just throw them in jail.

In developed countries it's needed to keep manufacturing costs down, which is why private enterprise is getting involved in running factory prisons, though they're required by law to pay their captive labour force a pittance so their products can avoid having a "slave labour" tag slapped on them.

Historically, slavery and torture have been means by which group A assert their superiority over group B. I don't expect that mindset to change anytime soon.

Prisons being ran as forced labor camps is no where near as bad as human trafficking and sex slavery. There are kids being sold into sex slavery who are barely old enough to attend first grade, let alone kindergarten all over the world.

petePESTILENCE said:

This is why I can't get a job in my own country, the Australian government is deliberately importing these kind of workers and then they have the nerve to say that it's our fault that there are no jobs available.
all to save a buck -_-

It's like that here in the U.S.. I think a comedy movie was made o this actually.

TBH I have the worst experience working and communicating with my own kind in food places. It is depressing, unfruitful, hostile, and sometimes violent. It is downright pathetic and makes me wonder why I should even be here. When I work at a Mexican restaurant however, despite not getting paid all my hours, everyone is happy and grateful to have a job, and I don't have issues with people unless they are racist gangster type (and they end up leaving). All I want to do is my job and to do it well and reliably, without offended people bitching about it.

petePESTILENCE said:

all to save a buck -_-

Australia? I thought it was the worst anti-immigration place in the world. Even went as far as to publish a propaganda comic explaining to refugees seeking shelters in Australia that they'll end up in a gulag from which the only way out is death.

The comic was controversial enough (it basically said war-torn Afghanistan was a better place to live than Australia) and was seemingly removed, but the "no way" campaign continues, proudly boasting about having "the toughest border protection measures ever".
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/offshore-communication-campaign-people-smuggling.asp

There's a big difference, Australia isn't letting in asylum seekers and such, but the government is still hiring overseas workers at less than minimum wage and pissing them back off afterwards, it's quite underhanded :/

Gez said:

Australia? I thought it was the worst anti-immigration place in the world.

We also have the infamous and often abused 457 visa, which I think is what petePESTILENCE is referring to. While the visa is supposed to address short-term skills shortages in the workforce, there's plenty of anecdotal evidence of them being used to bludgeon unionised labour into submission. Then there's sponsors (some of whom probably haven't the scruples of a slumlord) signing foreign workers to contracts that cost them most of their wages, though given the disparity between Australian award wages and what most Asian workers earn, they probably still think they're on a good thing.

GreyGhost said:

there's plenty of anecdotal evidence of them being used to bludgeon unionised labour into submission

Oh that, I can totally see the Australian government being behind this 110%.

Gez said:

The comic was controversial enough (it basically said war-torn Afghanistan was a better place to live than Australia) and was seemingly removed, but the "no way" campaign continues, proudly boasting about having "the toughest border protection measures ever".
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/offshore-communication-campaign-people-smuggling.asp

I like how a poster that is supposed to deter people from Syria and Afghanistan is written in English and makes reference to a falous Australian song.

The poster has translations in Albanian, Arabic, Bahasa, Bengali, Dari, Farsi, Hindi, Sorani, Nepalese, Pashtu, Rohingya, Sinhala, Somali, Tamil, Urdu, and Vietnamese.