Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Did Doom OST influence your musical taste?

I think most of you guys know, how much metal influences ("stealings" well sort of) can be found in Doom OST. There's Megadeth, Stormtroopers of Death, Slayer, Pantera, Stone Temple Pilots, and so on.

Did it make you a metal/rock fan as well? Either directly or indirectly?

Probably. I've always loved Doom's metal tracks as a kid and would hum them while playing with GI Joes and cars and stuff.

Yeah, it made me discover Pantera and Alice in Chains (also Nine Inch Nails from the e4m1 secret), all cool bands.

Not only the Doom OST but many old WADs too. Like others, opened the door for me to get into alice in chains, pantera, NIN, etc. I remember being blown away when I first heard 'Head like a Hole' on the radio after hearing it on dwango5 map02 for all those years, was quite an expereince for young ears.

Yes, absolutely. I was too young at the time to know of any real metal bands (besides Metallica and some other popular ones) but the tracks from Doom's E1M9 + E2M3, as well as Doom II's map 10 + 31 were totally influential for me becoming the huge metalhead I am today. I remember I would have those songs stuck in my head ALL damn day at school.

That and my dad always played Black Sabbath, who are now my all time favorite band.

Doomkid said:

Not only the Doom OST but many old WADs too.

Ah, exactly the same here!

Ironically, the WAD the music of whch catches me was the infamous Nazi Auferstehung.

Through that glowng pile of shit I found Metallica's Ride The Lightning.

Seriously.

Katamori said:

Ah, exactly the same here!

Ironically, the WAD the music of whch catches me was the infamous Nazi Auferstehung.

Through that glowng pile of shit I found Metallica's Ride The Lightning.

Seriously.

Hah, that's awesome! I may never have heard of Das Boot, but thanks to so many old WADs, I searched it out and found it.. Great theme tune.

Not really; I don't tend to listen to metal music, even though Doom's music is quite good.

Custom music WADs did clue me into some tracks that were up my alley, though. I recall an early one I tried was the first time I'd ever heard Final Fantasy IV's "Golbez, Clad in Darkness", for instance.

No. Though I did listen to Pantera and Alice in Chains in the 1990s, but it had nothing to do with Doom for me. As far as I remember I didn't noticed similarities when I first played Doom - it sounded like computerish midi music for me, not like rock.

Nope, but as a metalhead I'm more into the likes of Darkthrone and Pungent Stench than Megadeth. PSX's soundtrack is more fitting anyway. When I first played Doom years ago I'd no idea it didn't have the original soundtrack so when I played it on PC the first time I thought the music was awful and totally weird. Still not a fan.

Haha, oh no. There were so many games with better music even back then and midi fell out of style very, very quickly. By 96-97 LucasArts were releasing games with audio CD soundtracks, so I'd say Outlaws OST influenced me more than Doom OST. Ennio Morricone > Muhtal. ;)

Right now, my only respective répertoir consists of merely Doom OST.
Doom OST is love.
Doom OST is life.

dunno. i think the games have some good music in them, but it didn't make me seek out some of the bands whose riffs have been reworked in the game, and i'm more of a electronic nut than a metalhead. so no, i don't think so.

on the other hand, though, i love some of the PWADs music a lot.

edit: that's not to say i dislike the Doom games music, or metal in general. i'm actually a fan of both. i just don't think it had much of a lasting impact on my musical tastes, since i discovered music that's very far-off from Doom's OST. ironically, this was with the help of WATCHING a Doom video, which happened to play a particular song i got infatuated with.

Yes. Doom introduced me to Slayer who were the first metal band I ever liked. I love heavy metal. I like Doom (metal), and classic hard rockin metal more than thrash by a long shot but doom opened the door for me.

Actually, for my first few years of Dooming, my PC didn't have a soundcard, so I was never exposed to Doom's music in my formative years. It wasn't until high school when we got a PC that actually had a soundcard. Heck, sometimes I even get nostalgic for the old bleeps and bloops of the PC speaker sound effects. And while I loved Doom's soundtrack, I've never really been into metal on the whole.

I never had PC Doom as a kid...so no.

My musical taste has always been heavy metal influenced all the same though, when I was 3 years old mom caught me and my sister head banging to Judas Priest on T.V.

In particular I like Black Metal and a bit of Death Metal, and there's a lot of popular bands that for some reason, I never got into, some are decent though. Other genres I like would be 70's/80's Street Punk and good old fashioned 50's Rock and Roll. I also love Aggrotech, Doom has never had any of that.

The Doom soundtrack I grew up with was the PSX Doom, just ambient stuff....not a terrible fan of ambience as music, background noise it's fine, as music....eh. I was about 5 when Doom came out initially, and only really heard what the PC version sounded like up until a few years a go. I never thought to look up Doom on PC until I started to play more stuff on there. So my music taste was well developed before I heard the original Doom soundtrack.

But now I've heard the Doom soundtrack on PC, I can't say I enjoy it...I don't like that MIDI sound, never have done, even if it may be of something I know.