Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
The_Tonx

Offtopic: Bumpmaping

Hi. Once someone here showed one little page where was a face (or skull?) and you could move lights (with mouse?). It used bumpmap image too so the face casted shadows.

Could anyone point me to this site again, or tell me where to find this stuff. I'd like to play it little and see what I can do..

thanx

Dima said:

Hmm.. there are many neat stuff there but.. most of them are "binaries + source" format, so i guess they are some ready applications. but i'm looking for something that works in java, applet, javascript or something i could use in web.. hmm..

Heh, I found one and edited it little.. too sad it's Applet and demonstration.. well, it looks like:

http://www.dako.edu.ee/~tonx/legacy/

well.. I would happy to get something like this done with javascript or something where I could modify little more than just images and size :(

BTW, this on there is 400 x 300 (coz 800 x 600 was too slow on my PC) sized applet window using only bumpmap image (800 x 600).

Lord FlatHead said:

Well, neither of those applets really show off the power of bumpmapping well.

could you link me to better ones (please)?

Heh, those bumpmap things are cool to play around with. If only there was a demo or something that REALLY showed off the power of the bumpmap, preferably under 6 megs in size, since anything over that is just too much for this particular 56k user :)

Yea.. I just wanted to play one of those things and see how hard it is going to be make textures for DOOM III (and games using bumpmapping)

The_Tonx said:

Yea.. I just wanted to play one of those things and see how hard it is going to be make textures for DOOM III (and games using bumpmapping)

Making a bumpmap texture is easy, its just a black/white texture:).

AIRmichael said:

Heh.. I don't think it's THAT simple. This "Black & White" you described is bumpmap image. That's not all. You have to add skin to it too. And mixing bumpmap and skin images aren't too easy if you wanna make a normal (or good ;) ) texture..

At least, that's how I see it :)

AIRmichael said:

If you just take your regular (diffuse) texture, make it gray-scale and use that as a bumpmap, the results are in general pretty crappy.

Lord FlatHead said:

If you just take your regular (diffuse) texture, make it gray-scale and use that as a bumpmap, the results are in general pretty crappy.

My point exactly :)

BTW, is there any source ports that support bumpmapping?

No, I don't think so. I know Jdoom supports detail textures, ZdoomGL (the new version)(not released yet)might have support for them, but I don't know, It depends on the author of the port, I personally don't see it happening though.

LorD BaZTArD said:

No, I don't think so. I know Jdoom supports detail textures, ZdoomGL (the new version)(not released yet)might have support for them, but I don't know, It depends on the author of the port, I personally don't see it happening though.

Hmh.. But what is that datailed texture anyway? Base texture + semi transparent texture?

New ZdoomGL? Isn't there even a beta test or somthing like that?

Detail textures are, in general, black & white grainy textures that are multitextured a couple times across a regular texture. This gives the illusion of more detail when you get up-close, so it seems like a good way to go with the low-res textures of Doom. But most of the times it's just crappy, unless your base texture is stretched over a huge surface (like the temple walls in Serious Sam). In games like Deus Ex I usually turn it off since it eats framerate and doesn't really add anything to the scene.

I have created my own perpixel lighting demo in OpenGL, with bumpmapping, etc..

http://www.van-noland.com/gixelz/stencil.jpg

You have a normal map and a diffuse map. The normal map is generated off a grayscale bumpmap and uses RGB as the XYZ components of the vector each texel in the normal map is facing..

0.5, 0.5, 1 is facing straight out, so normal maps are generally a light blue color.

The red component is how far left/right the texel is 'facing'. Green is up and down, blue is depth.

A diffuse map colorizes the bumpmap (eg: red blocks separated by white lines could be a diffuse map for generic brick)..

I'll upload it if anyone is interested in checking it out..

I'm am :)

I'd just like to play with textures and see what I can do..
It would be nice if you'd upload it somewhere :)

Just uploaded it :)

http://www.van-noland.com/gixelz/ppl_demo.zip

As you will see, I can get away with using extremely low-res diffuse maps. That was partially to keep the zip file pretty small. There is a plugin filter at http://developer.nvidia.com that you can use in photoshop to generate normal maps out of grayscale height/bumpmaps. That's what I used.

Texturing in Doom3 will be different because instead of shading a texture yourself, you have to tell Doom3 how to shade it using a normal map. Then you have to draw the texture without shading for the engine to do its magic on.

Wow. Very impressive. Now imagine all this on every surface in Doom III. Hmmm.

I'm sure Zaldron will be interested in this - he's been looking for a program to test his diffuse/bump/specular maps and such. Too bad his pc is fried at the moment.

Hmh.. It requires more machine that I can give.. :(

Firt it said that it cannot be runned in fullscreen due my hardware. And if I agreed to run it in windowed mode then it performed an illegal operation and closed :(

But I try it anyway (on better machine). Looks like my video card (Intel i810e chipset) can't run nothing anymore. Well, I planned to buy a new PC anyway :)

BTW guys, can you help me out? I wanna buy a new PC (with Athlon XP 1900+) and wanna know that is Gigabyte GA-7VRXP motherboard fine enough?

* Check the motherboard info at:
http://www.giga-byte.com/products/7vrxp.htm
* Tom's hardware tests:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q2/020509/index.html