Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
petePESTILENCE

Hub systems

I am fairly new to doom mapping, and I've decided to start with doom 64 ex, I was wondering if it is possible to have the first level as a hub and after each level, be returned to this hub? Is this possible in doom 64?

Assuming the map has nothing too dynamic, like monsters or their corpses for example that you want to keep in their last locations, then just duplicating the map for every other mapslot should work, right?

40oz said:

Assuming the map has nothing too dynamic, like monsters or their corpses for example that you want to keep in their last locations, then just duplicating the map for every other mapslot should work, right?

I was thinking about doing this, thank you ^__^

I was looking at doom builder 64 and couldn't find a way
to change a sectors brightness.
I also couldn't find the texture auto-alignment option

Am I able to use either of these features with db64?

petePESTILENCE said:

I was looking at doom builder 64 and couldn't find a way
to change a sectors brightness.
I also couldn't find the texture auto-alignment option

Am I able to use either of these features with db64?

There are no real sector brightness in db64, there is sector lights (next to sector properties).

I think texture alignment is like any other doom builder ([shift+a] for Y axis alignment and [a] for just X axis alignment), just make sure you are in 3D mode first, and point to the texture that you want to align.

petePESTILENCE said:

Thank you, :)
The last thing I was wondering.
Does db64 support voodoo dolls and voodoo traps?

Sorry, i didn't go that deep into db64, but if it works in vanilla doom, i think it works on d64ex right?

petePESTILENCE said:

When I put down the 2nd player 1 thing it makes that spot my new spawn spot...
It doesn't seem to let me spawn 2 player 1's

I don't even know how to make that in normal doom haha.

The accident of the Voodoo-dolls is that the last Player 1 start position is complete and others have been damaged to become Voodoo-dolls. Every time you add another player 1 start, it will become the working player 1 start position.

Trick 1. To create a voodoo-doll, go to your player 1 start and move it
to where you want your voodoo-doll. Create a new player 1 start at the start location.

Trick 2. In some closed box, create a dozen or more player 1 starts. Now create your player 1 start. All the others are voodoo-dolls. Each time you need a voodoo-doll, take one from the voodoo-doll supply box. When wad development is done the box and the unused voodoo-dolls can be left as there are, or removed.

i ve tried adding vodoo dolls in doom64ex to experiment in the mapo2 i was working of my wad (i was about to finish but... computer died so im waiting to buy an USB-hard drive connector to recover my data) and well...

lets say that the "previous" player 1 position its liked "deleted" what i mean it dont keep the voodoo doll like Doom do. so everytime you add 1 player start position it just will be the new player start position and the previous one while appear on the editor, it just dont going to appear in the game.

Z0k said:

lets say that the "previous" player 1 position its liked "deleted" what i mean it dont keep the voodoo doll like Doom do. so everytime you add 1 player start position it just will be the new player start position and the previous one while appear on the editor, it just dont going to appear in the game.

This is the issue I am also now having. :/

idk if it an issue, but probably can be, since the map Hectic in doom64ex the part where is the blue armor its supposed to kill you if you try to grab it. but nothing happens.

i would like to check out the script for that part of the map but sadly i cant right now since i dont have the tools on the new computer. but as far with the help i got from Sector666 you can check maps script and all from doom64ex with slade3. so maybe worth a try and see what was used to kill the player (but certainly didnt work)

2 weeks before my computer died i played hectic since its a hard to be just pretty short. since was long time ago i played doom64 (but remember that there was a trap that gibbed you if you tried to pick up the item from the part you find it) i tried to pick up the blue armor, the camera focus on my player, lights flashes and... im still alive stuck on that part.

so pretty much that trap failed and i tried 5 times and the same result.

Jaxxoon R said:

Naw, man. EX doesn't have that feature. HUBs are a strictly Hexen-Strife-ZdoomBastardBabby affair.

Another engine that fully supports hubs is 3DGE - works just like Quake 2.

If you want to make a hub structure in doom, you can just make one really big map with distinct areas only accessible via teleport. Play through Hell Ground and pay special attention to Warp of Time. In this map, the player must navigate through four realms in order to finish the level. Each has its own theme and you can play through in any order. You can only visit each realm once and once there you must play through to the end in order to access the other realms. Because you've never left the map, everything is just the way you left it.
The map is amazing and worth playing for any fan, and it just might give you some inspiration.