Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Guest Unregistered account
KevinHEZ said:

For what i understand, people don't say that its better, they say that its the best port from the original game. In my opinion, the best doom game is Doom 64.

Arrgh, sorry! I meant the best version of The Spawning Vats. Xs

Joe667 said:

Arrgh, sorry! I meant the best version of The Spawning Vats. Xs

I think that the original spawning vats is great, but had his problems (like those two corpses hanging out in a sky ceiling), but if you try to think that its a different map, you can see the psx version qualities much clearer (remember that this is my opinion).

Doom 64 is actually my favourite one, Doom being the second.
That could change though, as I've never beat Final Doom.
I prefer the PlayStation Doom to the PC Doom. (But, reading through the posts, this doesn't seem as uncommon as you'd think.)
I really like Doom II for modding, not so much for the game itself.
I never thought Doom 3 was as bad as everyone said, and it seems funny that it's being backpedaled now due to hindsight.

i am working on a bunch of deathmatch maps, but I can barely test them. The internet out here is so awful that Odamex lags, Zdaemon chugs, and just forget about Zandronum.

Regarding Final Doom I consider it two games rather than one, and I vastly prefer Plutonia in spite of its difficulty. (Just MAP15 can get cancer and die of AIDS.) I would love if Plutonia had more techbase levels, though.

KevinHEZ said:

I think that the original spawning vats is great, but had his problems (like those two corpses hanging out in a sky ceiling)...

I know that most people think that's a bug, but I always thought it was intentional... it's literally given some people nightmares. The only definite bugs I remember from the level were the items that don't exist on any difficulty and the single (I think) HOM in the blue carpet hallways.

I don't care much for most of the classic 90's megawads, like Memento Mori and Hell Revealed.

Wasted
Expression used to define time spent on making Multiplayer-only maps, mods or even MegaPWADs.

Let the five elements tear me apart upon revealing thee. It was a Doom confession on how I see the pure discriminalism towards lonely people, just like me to give an example.

I tried EDuke32 source port yesterday (I even found that someone recreated "Blood"--too bad that there's no "Exhumed"), and played a few levels. What struck me were different physics of the game. I guess I grew fond of Doom's rules, and it felt just weird. And I remember playing those games a lot in the 90s. I suppose, I will get used 'em again. For now I am doomed. :]

I recall that Build engine games tend to have you start and stop on a dime, whereas Doom has a bit of momentum left over when you stop moving, even if you'd only been moving for a tic.

Each game on a different engine has its own "friction factor" that the players needs to get accustomized to, that's normal.

Shadow Hog said:

I recall that Build engine games tend to have you start and stop on a dime

Less so than Wolfenstein 3D. :P

Clandestine Complex is my favorite map on Alien Vendetta and I have no qualms about it replacing Valley of Echoes. Love that tech/mountainbase hybrid with a lot of visual variance. Sorta like Hillside Siege from earlier in the wad.

joe-ilya said:

Doom2 is my favorite IWAD, is this the reason why my maps are often considered 90's and bad?

It could be only a side-effect. More remarkably, your maps often don't show uniqueness or progression, that's why they're considered bland and boring '94-like attempts.

scifista42 said:

Each game on a different engine has its own "friction factor" that the players needs to get accustomized to, that's normal.

True that, but still--I've been re-playing "Quake" this year, and I hadn't had such an impression. But maybe it's some kind of id Software's fingerpring or watermark.

I realized yesterday that I have never played "Pharaoh" nor "Carribean". Well, it's fixed by now. Funny to see Egypt theme in official Doom level. It's kind of a bland Egypt, but still. As for Carribean I'm reading "The Rum Diary" by Hunter S. Thompson which is set in Puerto Rico (on Caribbean sea), and I have to say Dario Casalli nailed the atmosphere of the place. Now I will visualize Yeamon's concrete hut in a style of this level.

But seriously, nice maps. I'm not specially fond of "Evilution", to put it mildly, but these two levels are very good.

Critikal_Damage said:

I far prefer games on the Build Engine over Doom but prefer Doom's easier map editor

I am actually better at playing Build games than I am Doom but I prefer Doom's less complex feel and much MUCH easier editors.

I just cheat and go through all the maps in a megawad because i'm too lazy to actually play trough the wad itself.

5 years on...still on MAP23 of Plutonia. Since that savegame is on a computer that doesn't work anymore I should probably start over.

StupidBunny said:

5 years on...still on MAP23 of Plutonia.

And I was worried that after a year I am on level 16 of "Hellbound".

But while we at Plutonia--I realized I don't remember levels. Some parts maybe, but generally I should find a time to re-play it.

All but the last one are by Lee Jackson, too. I consider him a better composer than Bobby Prince.

Well... um... actually, I was reffering tonNoMac90 on YouTube, but no.