Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Unholypimpin

Bloody Graveyard - Halloween map - Now on Idgames!

Hello everyone, it is October which means HALLOWEEN WADS!!!

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/bloodygr.zip <=========DOWNLOAD LINK ENJOY!!

Anyways for this Halloween I am making a single map which will have a graveyard theme, but as an added bonus it is going to be a bloody graveyard.

Here are some screenshots.

http://i.imgur.com/Rx7VF4P.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/q2Sl9lb.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/9S2RjCi.png?1

Gasp its almost thanksgiving so I guess this is a Thanksoween map =P

Design looks good, my biggest concern is the custom palette (?), hopefully it won't cause colours to fade into darkness in an odd way.

@ scifista42 I believe the custom palette only adds light blue colors, but i'm not entirely sure. Ill see what happens if I remove the custom palette.

Okay so its not exactly Halloween anymore...HOWEVER!! The map is finally complete and now I shall release it MUAHAHAHAHAHA!...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g7r42wti1ioblk1/BloodyGraveyard.wad?dl=0 <=========DOWNLOAD LINK ENJOY!!

Uses the Halloween Texturepack, idk who made it so...ill credit the owner as soon as I figure out who that is.

I got the texturepack from an abyssal speed mapping session =P

Pretty good. I haven't yet beaten the map, but I'm liking it so far. Lots of open space to freely move around and "casually" killing monsters, moderate (not big) challenge, nice visuals and atmosphere = quite enjoyable. :) I like the idea of death messages.

Good map.

About the only bad thing about it was the end boss, which was a 'throw projectiles everywhere over a thought out battle' boss.

Vermil said:

Good map.

About the only bad thing about it was the end boss, which was a 'throw projectiles everywhere over a thought out battle' boss.

It was kind of a joke from a boss I made in my invasion wad, He wants revenge on the doom marine for killing him so many times. The boss is pretty much the same except I added 1 additional attack.

I've almost forgotten to post that I had played through the whole map yesterday. Good experience, as I said before. Half of the battles were skippable and/or solvable by infighting, or just camp-able, still I felt a satisfaction from advancing through the map. Pacing and atmosphere were well done.

The final boss thing was awfully unfair and gameplay-breaking, IMO, as he spawned too many minions and leaped towards me himself. I've just used mdk on him.

This wasn't as good as I excpected, I just had to run around to find a blue key and there it was, the end... oh and there's a boss for no reason.

joe-ilya said:

This wasn't as good as I excpected, I just had to run around to find a blue key and there it was, the end... oh and there's a boss for no reason.

Well I'm sorry that trying finding a key to progress through the level is not your thing.
A boss for no reason? Oh thats right, there should never be a boss at the end of a wad...ever.

Now on a more serious note, how was the difficulty or detail of the map? Did you find any bugs?

@scifista42 Ya before I released this I got the boss down to 50% and couldnt get him down further because I died so I nerfed his damage values and thought everything was good, but I guess I need to nerf him some more. Thanks for the feedback.

The boss has improved, although only slightly so. You see, my main problems with him wasn't really his damage or health, but the fact that he spawned numerous minions and leaped (and used a damaging attack from close range after leaping). In my first playthrough, I couldn't find the boss at first, but he could see me somehow and he created a whole army of those minions.

EDIT:
You would, for example, change the leaping to simple strafing (but not too far), and make him spawn minions only after he got some damage from the player.

Just spent over half an hour playing this map.. The music fits the gloomy environment perfectly. I love both the aesthetics and layout of this map. It feels very open, like I can take a deep breath, and yet there's a very coherent floor plan underneath that natural look.

Great challenge, really - I had a blast playing it. I died at the blue key, and then couldn't take down Skelly after everything else (stupidly used all my plasma on the blue key archies). I'll try it again soon, Overall I really enjoyed this and would reccommend it to others. Get it on /idgames, I'll give it 5!

EDIT: I'll echo what scifista said about Skelly taking damage before releasing minions - That was what screwed me in the end. I personally wouldn't change his behavior beyond that, though. He makes for a very imposing final boss, a fitting end for such a map.

It seems fine. I've meant that he'd be allowed to spawn minions right after taking the first damage from the player, being at HP about 98% - but okay.

You might consider making him infighting-proof, too.

scifista42 said:

It seems fine. I've meant that he'd be allowed to spawn minions right after taking the first damage from the player, being at HP about 98% - but okay.

You might consider making him infighting-proof, too.

you're talking about with other monsters other than his minions right? Also ya I guess 98% is good too.

Thanks for the feedback guys It helps out a lot.

I noticed one thing about the death messages... the message is chosen when the player starts a new game and then remains the same, no matter how many times he dies. You can test it youself - start a new game, save, and kill yourself. If you then load the game and kill yourself again, the same message will display. I vaguely remember there is some ACS trick to re-seed the Random function during the gameplay...

Oh, and one of the messages reads "bigfont". This happens because arrays are indexed from 0 in ACS. Therefore, you need to change the random message line to

hudmessage(s:Deathy[Random(0,9)];

Caleb13 said:

I noticed one thing about the death messages... the message is chosen when the player starts a new game and then remains the same, no matter how many times he dies. You can test it youself - start a new game, save, and kill yourself. If you then load the game and kill yourself again, the same message will display. I vaguely remember there is some ACS trick to re-seed the Random function during the gameplay...

Oh, and one of the messages reads "bigfont". This happens because arrays are indexed from 0 in ACS. Therefore, you need to change the random message line to

hudmessage(s:Deathy[Random(0,9)];

Ya I knew about the save death message glitch but I never got the big font, thanks for catching that.