Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nihlith

Custom Actor Errors

Hello Doom World members! I've gotten so much help via the editing threads that I think preemptive 'thank you's are in order. Really I would have gotten nowhere at all without the help of this sites contributors (not to minimize you tube vloggers).
So I have some problems and I don't know how to search for an answer so, here goes.
I'm want to build a Hexen Wad full of custom monsters, textures and weapons. I want to use room over room construction. Accordingly, I downloaded doom builder 2 and an upgrade I was turned on to by chubzdoomer http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/doombuilder2/
Then I downloaded SLADE, made a new map in zdoom (Hexen) configuration and saved it as Hexmote. I downloaded a number of monsters from realm667, as well as a texture pack with some 1700 new textures in it.
I open slade, open my wad and then open a monster file. I open the decorate file as text and alter the decorate so that the monsters ID# is 14200 and save the change.
I click a file in the monster wad at random and press Ctrl A. With all of the files selected, I press Ctrl C. I then select the upper most map file in my wad and press Ctrl V. When all of the files are copied I select them all and press the up arrow in the tool bar to move the monsters files to a position above all of the map data.
I repeat the process, numbering the monsters 14300, 14400, 14500, ect. But with the subsequent monsters, I paste them to the last file of the previously copied monster. When I'm done, I save my wad, making sure that all of the monster files are above the map files and that all entries are black. Then I open my texture pack. I select all of the textures with Ctrl A and convert them from the heretic to the Hexen. Palette. I select all of the converted textures, and copy/paste them onto the behavior file in my wad, putting them after all of the other map files.
I save my wad again, close SLADE and open doombuilder2. I open the wad and I get these Errors and Warnings:

Texture "SANDSTN2" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Texture "SERPRID0" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Texture "SERPRID0" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Texture "SNDBLCK4" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Texture "SNDBLCK5" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Texture "WALL44_2" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Texture "SKULL6" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Texture "SKULL1" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Texture "SKULL2" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Texture "SKULL3" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Texture "SKULL4" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Texture "SKULL5" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'PhoenixFX2' to inherit from, while parsing 'WyvernBreath'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'Inventory' to inherit from, while parsing 'squidinviso'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'PowerSpeed' to inherit from, while parsing 'PowerSlow'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'PowerupGiver' to inherit from, while parsing 'GrellSlowdown'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'CacodemonBall' to inherit from, while parsing 'HadesBall'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'CacodemonBall' to inherit from, while parsing 'HadesBolt'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'CacodemonBall' to inherit from, while parsing 'HadesBolt2'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'CustomInventory' to inherit from, while parsing 'HS_SpecialChase'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'BulletPuff' to inherit from, while parsing 'DogTrail'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'BulletPuff' to inherit from, while parsing 'NosferatiPuff'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'CacodemonBall' to inherit from, while parsing 'HadesBall'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'CustomInventory' to inherit from, while parsing 'HS_SpecialChase'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'Inventory' to inherit from, while parsing 'RoachScared'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'DoomImpBall' to inherit from, while parsing 'SlimeBall1'

Unable to parse DECORATE data from location C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad. Expected numeric editor thing number or start of actor scope on line 3 in 'DECORATE'

Despite them, I start mapping and the monsters and textures seem to be working normally. Still I was curious and I notice a warning about DoomImpBall so I start placing monsters to see if any behave strangely.
I summon all of the imp like monsters I had included and they seem to behave normally. Also I summon Hades Elementals. They seem appropriately scary, spitting red death balls and summoning lightning arcs and all. Later I summon a Lord of Heresy, which now throws invisible projectiles and only at random intervals. Usually it just goes through the motions but it seems no projectile is forthcoming.
I make a frowny face, close doom builder, open SLADE again, open my wad again, open the lord of heresy I downloaded, delete the Lord of Heresy in hexmote.wad, and paste another Lord of Heresy in its place. I alter its decorate, save my wad again, shut down SLADE and play test it in doom builder again. I see the same thing again. Same errors, same odd behavior.
Does anyone know what these errors mean and how to fix them? Better yet is there a way to put your wad together to avoid them in the first place? A number of these errors seem to refer to states of the player, others refer to inherited characteristics from other games and I have no idea how to hack that.
It seems like something I will need to understand if I am to finish my unholy wadstrosity. Again thank you, I've got my fingers crossed.

Those are error messages in DB2, right? Not in G/ZDoom.

If you don't want the error messages about ZDoom parent class missing, add 'zdoom.pk3' (or 'gzdoom.pk3', 'zandronum.pk3', etc. as appropriate depending on the engine you use) to the list of resources. But make sure to check the "exclude from testing parameters" box for it!

Yes sir, they are DB2 error messages. I tried clicking on Tools, Game configuration, Add Resource, From PK3 file and selecting Gzdoom.pk3. I check the 'exclude resource from Test parameters' box and click OK. The program immediately produces this:

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'PhoenixFX2' to inherit from, while parsing 'WyvernBreath'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'Inventory' to inherit from, while parsing 'squidinviso'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'PowerSpeed' to inherit from, while parsing 'PowerSlow'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'PowerupGiver' to inherit from, while parsing 'GrellSlowdown'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'CacodemonBall' to inherit from, while parsing 'HadesBolt'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'CacodemonBall' to inherit from, while parsing 'HadesBolt2'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'BulletPuff' to inherit from, while parsing 'DogTrail'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'BulletPuff' to inherit from, while parsing 'NosferatiPuff'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'Inventory' to inherit from, while parsing 'RoachScared'

Unable to find the DECORATE class 'DoomImpBall' to inherit from, while parsing 'SlimeBall1'

(There are more errors but they're double defined texture errors) Reloading the resources reproduces this result.

Nihlith said:

and copy/paste them onto the behavior file in my wad,

Why the BEHAVIOR lump?
That is only for compiled scripts.

It might be best if you posted your map so someone could check where the problems crept in.
Or, if you are adverse to this idea, the very least would be for you to read about DECORATE on
the ZDOOM WIKI.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Main_Page

Nihlith said:

Yes sir, they are DB2 error messages. I tried clicking on Tools, Game configuration, Add Resource, From PK3 file and selecting Gzdoom.pk3. I check the 'exclude resource from Test parameters' box and click OK. The program immediately produces this:

[same error messages as before]

DB2 tells you to "drag items to change order", so move zdoom.pk3 to the top so it loads first.

Kappes Buur said:

Why the BEHAVIOR lump?
That is only for compiled scripts.

As he explained, it was to put them after all map lumps.

Ok, so if I repeat the steps outlined above, but add zdoom.pk3 to the resources instead of Gzdoom.pk3, I get the following error messages (this is all of them)

Texture "SANDSTN2" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Texture "SNDBLCK4" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Texture "SNDBLCK5" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Texture "WALL44_2" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Texture "SKULL6" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Texture "SKULL1" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Texture "SKULL2" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Texture "SKULL3" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Texture "SKULL4" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Texture "SKULL5" is double defined in resource "C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad".

Unable to parse DECORATE data from location C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad. Expected numeric editor thing number or start of actor scope on line 3 in 'DECORATE'

So only one Decorate error. That seems like a vast improvement and that's awesome. Still, the Lord of Heresy produces no visible projectiles in test mode.
(Note, I cannot change the order of resources when opening the map, as both Hexen.wad and zdoom.pk3 are greyed out with the padlock icon.)
Accordingly, once the map has loaded, I go back into game configurations, click and drag zdoom.pk3 to a position above Hexen.wad, (so that the resources list starts with zdoom.pk3 and ends with Hexen.wad) and click 'OK'. Then I open the tools drop down menu and select 'Reload Resources'. This produces the same error message as above (not the original error list but this new shorter one). Play testing produces the same actor behavior. I then change the order and immediately save the wad as HexmoteA.wad I observe the same messages and behavior.
Is it possible that the Lord of Heresy is supposed to behave this way? What if the Lord of Heresy in psychophobia is altered to have visible projectiles and the base monster does not? I don't know what to think, the decorate file reads:

Missile:
LOHS E 0 A_Jump(85,5)
LOHS E 0 A_Jump(128,9)
LOHS E 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS F 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS G 8 A_BruisAttack
Goto See
LOHS E 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS F 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS G 0 A_Custommissile ("BaronBall", 32, 0, 8)
LOHS G 0 A_Custommissile ("BaronBall", 32, 0, 0)
LOHS G 8 A_Custommissile ("BaronBall", 32, 0, -8)
Goto See
LOHS E 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS F 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS G 0 A_Custommissile ("BaronBall", 32, 0, -20)
LOHS G 8 A_Custommissile ("BaronBall", 32, 0, 0)
LOHS E 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS F 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS G 0 A_Custommissile ("BaronBall", 32, 0, 20)
LOHS G 8 A_Custommissile ("BaronBall", 32, 0, 0)
LOHS E 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS F 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS G 0 A_Custommissile ("BaronBall", 32, 0, -12)
LOHS G 8 A_Custommissile ("BaronBall", 32, 0, 12)
Goto See

Which seems to mean that the Lord's attacks should resemble the Baron's.
In any case, what does the last decorate error mean:

“Unable to parse DECORATE data from location C:\Users\Nihlith\Hexmote.wad. Expected numeric editor thing number or start of actor scope on line 3 in 'DECORATE'”

Does this refer to a specific actor? How could I tell which one?

The problem here is that now it fails to parse hexmote.wad's DECORATE lump, starting on line 3.

At this point it'd probably be simpler if you uploaded the file to mediafire, dropbox, or something like that, and let us check it out.

Okay, there's a problem in the DECORATE code for the snake imp (1850th entry in hexmote.wad):

Actor SnakeImp 15900
//$Category monsters
{
	Health 100
Change this way and it should be solved:
Actor SnakeImp 15900
{
//$Category monsters
	Health 100

Wow that was fast! Good news: I altered the Decorate entry and now the error messages are gone. That's awesome, thanks!
If I may ask, what method did you use to find the error? I plan on adding and removing entries to this and other wads, so being able to replicate this feat would be invaluable.

Bad news: the Lord of Heresy is still shooting blanks. I read a thread a while back about importing doom monsters into hexen: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/66085-hexen-heretic-doom-monsters/. I think that may hold the answer to that particular problem but I've got to read and reread the links before I know if that's true. I'll post what I find in great detail. Gez you are a gentleman and a scholar. Kappes Buur, thanks for keeping me honest. I've looked at this wiki before but clearly it needs revisiting.

I've used GZDoom Builder instead of normal Doom Builder 2, its error message was a bit more in-depth so instead of just saying it couldn't parse DECORATE line 3 (which wasn't helpful given you have 32 different DECORATE lumps), it also said the error happened when parsing actor SnakeImp. Then it was a matter of finding the snake imp's definition.

By the way did you know you have two copies of the Butcher? Definition files, sprites, sounds, everything is present twice.

As for the Lord of Heresy's invisible projectiles, it is because they're stock Doom actors. The sprites and sounds are actually in doom.wad/doom2.wad/etc. because they're the baron's projectiles. Since you want to use them in Hexen, they are not available. So you can do one of two things: either you copy (and convert the palettes) the sprites and sounds from a Doom IWAD, or you replace in the DECORATE code the "BaronBall" by a stock Hexen projectile, like "Demon1FX1" (green chaos serpent's yellow fireball) or "Demon2FX1" (brown chaos serpent's green fireball).

Another problem: the Hades Sphere (HS) and its associated definitions are shared by two monsters you're using, the Overlord and the Hades Elemental. You should remove entirely the following actors from either the Overlord's definition or the Hades Elemental's definition (but of course not both):
- HadesBall
- HS
- HS_SpecialChase

You also have several duplicated sprites. LFX2 G, H, I, J (but not A, B, C, D, E, K, L, M, N, O), HADE from A to X, notably.

Fixed in r2096:
DECORATE parser: parse errors are more detailed now.

Spoiler

Examples:
DECORATE error in 'X:\dev\md3_test\actors\BuggyActor.cpp', line 3. Expected editor thing number or start of actor scope while parsing 'buggyactor'.
DECORATE error in 'X:\dev\md3_test\md3test.wad\DECORATE', line 12. Expected editor thing number or start of actor scope while parsing 'anotherbuggyactor'.

Fixed, DECORATE parser: error status was not cleared when switching to different resource.
Fixed, DECORATE parser: fixed a parse error when DB2-specific actor properties (like "//$category") were located outside of actor's scope.

<teh sarcasm>Also, thanks for reporting these issues in the proper place.</teh sarcasm>

MaxED said:

<teh sarcasm>Also, thanks for reporting these issues in the proper place.</teh sarcasm>

At the time I just didn't see it as a Doom Builder bug at all. But yeah, ZDoom parsed it without complaining and there's no reason a comment placed before the bracket should prevent parsing.

Edit: bigger pictures.
I opened my wad in SLADE and removed the superfluous butcher. I saved the smaller wad and it worked exactly the same way, albeit with less junk data in the file. So far so good.
When I edit the Hades Elemental's decorate file things get notably less awesome. I open the decorate file and delete the entries for HadesBall. I save the wad under a slightly different name and open it in doom builder.
After I fixed Snake Imp decorate file, it drastically improved the way the added content worked with the editor.
Before the fix, i needed to edit placed things by manually typing in their ID numbers. They appeared as stunted grey boxes with question marks inside and would only become monsters when I tested the map.
After I fixed the Imp, the added content appeared in the thing menu, most of it in the famous 'Decorate' file I'd heard so much about.
With the HadesBall deleted, all of the added content once again disappeared from the things menu. The Hades Elemental still behaved normally though.
Is there a reason to delete these decorate entries, other than stream lining file size? Also, how does the Hades elemental still spit projectiles when they are deleted from the Decorate entry?

This is what my code butchery looks like.

Before:

Death:
HELE I 5 Bright A_Scream
HELE JKL 5 Bright
HELE M 5 Bright A_NoBlocking
HELE M 0 Bright A_SpawnItemEx("HS",36,36)
HELE M 0 Bright A_SpawnItemEx("HS",-36,36)
HELE M 0 Bright A_SpawnItemEx("HS",-36,-36)
HELE M 0 Bright A_SpawnItemEx("HS",36,-36)
HELE NOP 5 Bright
HELE QRSTU 5
HELE V -1 A_SetFloorClip
Stop
}
}

Actor HadesBall : CacodemonBall
{
Damage 8
Speed 15
Alpha 0.80
DamageType lightning
+ThruGhost
+ForceXYBillboard
SeeSound "Monster/hadtel"
DeathSound "Monster/hadsit"
Decal "CacoScorch"
States
{
Spawn:
HEFX AB 4 Bright
Loop
Death:
HEFX CDEEFGH 3 bright
Stop
}
}

Actor HadesBolt : CacodemonBall
{
Damage 5
Speed 5
Radius 8
Height 8
Damagetype lightning
SeeSound "weapons/none"
DeathSound "weapons/gntidl"
YScale 4.0
XScale 2.0
ReactionTime 35
+FloorHugger
+HexenBounce
+Ripper
-NoGravity
-StrifeDamage
States
{

After:

Death:
HELE I 5 Bright A_Scream
HELE JKL 5 Bright
HELE M 5 Bright A_NoBlocking
HELE M 0 Bright A_SpawnItemEx("HS",36,36)
HELE M 0 Bright A_SpawnItemEx("HS",-36,36)
HELE M 0 Bright A_SpawnItemEx("HS",-36,-36)
HELE M 0 Bright A_SpawnItemEx("HS",36,-36)
HELE NOP 5 Bright
HELE QRSTU 5
HELE V -1 A_SetFloorClip
Stop
}

}

Actor HadesBolt : CacodemonBall
{
Damage 5
Speed 5
Radius 8
Height 8
Damagetype lightning
SeeSound "weapons/none"
DeathSound "weapons/gntidl"
YScale 4.0
XScale 2.0
ReactionTime 35
+FloorHugger
+HexenBounce
+Ripper
-NoGravity
-StrifeDamage
States
{

The patient survived the operation, but died later. Doom Builder 2 did not do this the first time I opened the altered wad but on the second load some of the textures started displaying as grey fields of question marks.

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/296/c/d/screenshot__21__by_nihlith-d83xl8f.png

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/296/4/b/screenshot__23__by_nihlith-d83xl9v.png

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/296/a/3/screenshot__22__by_nihlith-d83xl8y.png

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/296/9/2/screenshot__24__by_nihlith-d83xkfn.png

When you have that many new actors in a pwad it is always advisable to streamline
the DECORATE lumps. For example:

Instead of looking at 30 odd DECORATEs, which do not tell you which DECORATE is
what actor, rename them and then have only one DECORATE lump which includes all
of them. I myself prefer to name them as D_DoomEd number.

The only adverse aspect of that is, that lumps not called DECORATE must be
opened with 'View as Text' and do not have text highlighting.

The problem with the BUTCHER, other then being duplicated, is that there is a
missing S_END for the actor preceding it.
Hence Invalid data encountered for texture Hexmote.wad:DECORATE, etc.

As for texture names defined more than once, simply delete the duplication.
However, if the textures themselves are not the same, then rename them. That is
rather simple to do with Slade3 if you filter the name.

I haven't forgotten about you guys, I just haven't got anything that holds together. I have added an S_END to the actor preceding the butcher and the wad still works with this alteration.
In attempting to create a DECORATE lump, I opened the wad in SLADE and clicked the icon for "create entry" and named it "DECORATE". I rename the decorate entry for the arachnorb "D_15200" I opened this "DECORATE" lump as text and started adding lines: "#Include "D_15200" // Arachnorb". I went on to rename the next monsters decorate file "D_15300" and typed "#include "D_15200" // ChaosWyvern" into the "DECORATE" entry I had just created. I repeated this process 15 times until I was at "Roach" and wanted to see what the alterations had done.
The same problem had resurfaced, added content was not available in DB2's menus and all the wall textures stopped being displayed. I have some questions.
First, what version of slade are you using and how did you configure it? My copy doesn't look exactly like yours. Also the node builder doesn't work.
Second, is this how you build a decorate wad? The wiki says that all the entries are "Lumps".

This is the half formed abomination that I made. I wanted to link something more functional but this might help answer my questions.

Would it be simpler to just start over and add one monster at a time? Is the data getting corrupted?

Edit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccfg4cy1vej984o/decLumpBegA.wad?dl=0

I'm using Slade 3.1.0-585, see http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/slade/ .
I don't like the default icons, so I made my own.

That way I find it easier to see what type each lump is.

There is no space between # and include, use
#include "name".

At this point, yes, it is advisable to take a step back and start from scratch. Delete all DECORATE actors,
then add one and test before adding the next.
Otherwise it will take a long time to troubleshoot your present map.

[edit]
added image

Altering the spacing in the #include "number" // name didn't work too well, I've got to try it a few times more but it seems like I'm missing something fundamental. When I tried doing this with an acolyte and a disciple and both times it simply removed those actors from the decorate menu.
On an up note, I went and altered the Lord of Heresy as Gaz suggested, taking the class Demon2FX1 from this page: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:Demon2FX1 and pasting it everywhere I saw "BaronBall" in the monsters DECORATE file, producing this:

ACTOR LordofHeresy 14200
{
Health 1250
Radius 20
Height 56
Speed 13
PainChance 50
BloodColor "7D 9D 59"
Mass 1000
MONSTER
+FLOORCLIP
Obituary "%o was annihilated by the heresy lord."
SeeSound "LordOfHeresy/sight"
PainSound "demon/pain"
DeathSound "LordOfHeresy/death"
ActiveSound "LordOfHeresy/act"
States
{
Spawn:
LOHS AB 10 A_Look
Loop
See:
LOHS AABBCCDD 4 A_Chase
Loop
Missile:
LOHS E 0 A_Jump(85,5)
LOHS E 0 A_Jump(128,9)
LOHS E 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS F 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS G 8 A_BruisAttack
Goto See
LOHS E 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS F 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS G 0 A_Custommissile ("Demon2FX1", 32, 0, 8)
LOHS G 0 A_Custommissile ("Demon2FX1", 32, 0, 0)
LOHS G 8 A_Custommissile ("Demon2FX1", 32, 0, -8)
Goto See
LOHS E 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS F 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS G 0 A_Custommissile ("Demon2FX1", 32, 0, -20)
LOHS G 8 A_Custommissile ("Demon2FX1", 32, 0, 0)
LOHS E 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS F 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS G 0 A_Custommissile ("Demon2FX1", 32, 0, 20)
LOHS E 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS F 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS G 0 A_Custommissile ("Demon2FX1", 32, 0, -12)
LOHS G 8 A_Custommissile ("Demon2FX1", 32, 0, 12)
Goto See
Pain:
LOHS H 5
LOHS H 5 A_Pain
Goto See
Death:
LOHS I 8
LOHS J 8 A_Scream
LOHS K 8 A_Fall
LOHS LMN 8
LOHS O -1
Stop
Raise:
LOHS ONMLKJI 5
Goto See
}
}

This worked, kind of. It seems the Lord of Heresy shoots 1, 2, or 3 projectiles at random each time it attacks. The creature that results from this edit shoots 0, 2 or 3 projectiles. I can't really account for that ether. Still, its a vast improvement.

On the fifth line of the Missile state, the monster calls A_BruisAttack. This is the Baron of Hell/Hell Knight's attack, which either does a melee attack when the target is close enough, or fires a BaronBall.

Thank you sir! I altered the Decorate to:

ACTOR LordofHeresy 14200
{
Health 1250
Radius 20
Height 56
Speed 13
PainChance 50
BloodColor "7D 9D 59"
Mass 1000
MONSTER
+FLOORCLIP
Obituary "%o was annihilated by the heresy lord."
SeeSound "LordOfHeresy/sight"
PainSound "demon/pain"
DeathSound "LordOfHeresy/death"
ActiveSound "LordOfHeresy/act"
States
{
Spawn:
LOHS AB 10 A_Look
Loop
See:
LOHS AABBCCDD 4 A_Chase
Loop
Missile:
LOHS E 0 A_Jump(85,5)
LOHS E 0 A_Jump(128,9)
LOHS E 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS F 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS G 8 A_CustomMissile ("Demon2FX1", 32, 0, 8)
Goto See
LOHS E 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS F 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS G 0 A_Custommissile ("Demon2FX1", 32, 0, 8)
LOHS G 0 A_Custommissile ("Demon2FX1", 32, 0, 0)
LOHS G 8 A_Custommissile ("Demon2FX1", 32, 0, -8)
Goto See
LOHS E 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS F 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS G 0 A_Custommissile ("Demon2FX1", 32, 0, -20)
LOHS E 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS F 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS G 0 A_Custommissile ("Demon2FX1", 32, 0, 20)
LOHS E 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS F 8 A_FaceTarget
LOHS G 0 A_Custommissile ("Demon2FX1", 32, 0, -12)
LOHS G 8 A_Custommissile ("Demon2FX1", 32, 0, 12)
Goto See
Pain:
LOHS H 5
LOHS H 5 A_Pain
Goto See
Death:
LOHS I 8
LOHS J 8 A_Scream
LOHS K 8 A_Fall
LOHS LMN 8
LOHS O -1
Stop
Raise:
LOHS ONMLKJI 5
Goto See
}
}

And the Lord of Heresy never misses a beat. Beautiful!

Kappes Buur said:

I'm using Slade 3.1.0-585, see http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/slade/ .
I don't like the default icons, so I made my own.

That way I find it easier to see what type each lump is.

There is no space between # and include, use
#include "name".

At this point, yes, it is advisable to take a step back and start from scratch. Delete all DECORATE actors,
then add one and test before adding the next.
Otherwise it will take a long time to troubleshoot your present map.

[edit]
added image

While I've got time, I'll post some wads with integrated DECORATE lumps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5i9lygyozfrhzq/heresy.wad?dl=0

Thats five monsters in one decorate entry and it works rather well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zvzvyia5u84siak/heresy1.wad?dl=0

Thats six monsters in one decorate entry and the whole thing is FUBAR. No decorate entries in the menus. Repeating the last entry from a previous save does not seem to change the situation.

Stranger still, when the sixth actor is added the renamed DECORATE lumps for the other monsters start losing their definition as script written in DECORATE. Their icons toggle to question marks.

They can be reset to DECORATE by viewing them as text, selecting DECORATE from the drop down menu and cutting and pasting the text over itself before re-saving the entry. The correction does not tend to survive the wad being saved, closed and loaded however.

Worse, there are no error messages to accompany this binary skullduggery.

I've been skimming posts about this topic, and there are numerous links posted by the illustrious kappes burr designated as vital need to see info, but the links are broken:(

Looking at the first pwad

You have to pay close attention to what resources you use. In your case HEXEN.WAD and the HEXEN palette.

Some of the actors you want to use were made for DOOM2 and use Graphic (Doom) which results in garbled colours. I suggest that you load them into a DOOM2 map and then save the sprites as png format and import the png sprites into your map.

Next, pay close attention that you have all S_START and S_END markers.

To keep everything from running into each other, I always insert ======== markers between each actor. Makes finding them a lot easier.

Nihlith said:

Thats six monsters in one decorate entry and the whole thing is FUBAR. No decorate entries in the menus.

Huh?

Kappes Buur said:

Some of the actors you want to use were made for DOOM2 and use Graphic (Doom) which results in garbled colours. I suggest that you load them into a DOOM2 map and then save the sprites as png format and import the png sprites into your map.

No need to load Doom, you can change the palette when converting the images. Select all wrong-palette graphics, convert them, choose the Doom palette in the drop-down below the "source" preview, and there you go.

Maxed, your success with file I linked seems to indicate that I have a problem with the program (SLADE) itself. I searched google for "slade install" and came up with this list of things that should be in your slade folder.

Slade.exe
Slade.pdb (optional, separate download)
slade.pk3
FreeImage.dll (windows only)
audiere.dll (windows only)
portable (optional)

I don't have an audiere.dll file on my computer. google searches for audiere.dll yeild alot of sites offering programs to fix dll errors but no quick and dirty dll download. Do all of you have this file? would one of you post a link so I could down load it?

Gez, Kappes,
This looks like another instance where the program, or possibly my sleep deprivation, has undone work I had already thought complete. The copy of heresy I have does have converted sprites and I converted them just as Gez suggested. In any case, color wonkyness has not been a problem when I've run DB2 or when I've play tested wads with added content.

Not to side track but I was looking at the decorate file for Necrosis and CodenniumRed a.k.a. Shades put all of his decorate info in one entry without using the include function. Is there an advantage to using multiple entries and the include function rather than placing all decorate info into one large lump?