Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RadTang

Doom 3 BFG... from side of Doom 3 newcomer

So I have started playing Doom 3 BFG. Graphics are good and nice. Anyway, they're a cyberdemon-sized improvement over the original Doom graphics! :D And You can jump. WOW ! ;) I wanted to play original D3 + RoE but the subtitles mod is only for old version of D3 and there's no subs for RoE. And in my country, only regular Doom 3 was released in native language. Nevertheless, I understand at least the basics of story. Found this FAQ (http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/469881-doom-3/faqs/60584) - I'm checking it from time to time for audio logs. It's look like Quake 4. And wish I got that subs mod for it. I found it just when I have completed the game. Enjoyed all three single player games (Q1, Q2, Q4 - with addons if they were released). Enjoyed also Doom 1 & 2 & Finals. Now I'm starting to enjoy Doom 3. With "fixed" graphics and all-in-one-and-more package (The Lost Missions! No Rest For The Living!). I've felt bad for Ishii. Poor guy. There's a lot of Asians in UAC base. It's all so scary and dark. Doom as it's meant to be. Can't wait to see more than zombies. Saw revenant on Wikipedia page. Quite nice. Doom 3 is quite immersive - You can feel really like an UAC marine, not a demonfighting, anonymous, unstopable grunt. Would like to see some mod on that PDA. Some OS-like mod. And that Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 is funny. During game I have found an xxx mag, smiled and wanted to give it much closer look. Have to finish it, it's too chaotic and maybe boring.

RadTang said:

Doom 3 is quite immersive - You can feel really like an UAC marine, not a demonfighting, anonymous, unstopable grunt.

I agree with that.

I really enjoyed Doom 3 when it came out and still enjoy it today.

I suggest you look up what differences there is between this version and the original version with expansion of Doom 3.

Glade you enjoyed it ... But Congratulations for Getting BFG Edition and wasting Money for Nothing,It doesn't have a Multiplayer mode (Well it has,but nobody is Playing on it) ...and Many differences are Made ....

You should have just bought a cheap used copy of the original Doom 3. To quote myself from an earlier thread, here are some of the retarded changes made to the BFG edition:

- Way too much ammo
- Increased brightness. Despite this, they still add a shoulder mounted flashlight
- No more casting dynamic shadows
- Dead bodies clip through one another instead of piling
- Horribly long load times for consoles
- Automatic checkpoint save system that freezes gameplay and cannot be turned off
- No support for original Doom 3 mods
- You can no longer play RoE arcade machines
- Unnecessary motion blur
- Changes to Sergeant Kelly's face (Umm, why?)
- Tons of added gameplay and graphical glitches
- Censored medikits and Wolfenstein levels for included Doom and Doom 2
- Pitch change for sound effects and Nightmare mode reduction (nerf) for Doom/Doom 2

I find the original to be far scarier, and it also has way more modding potential to custom tailor the game to your own desires. The mods can even push the graphics of the original game FAR beyond those of the BFG edition. Not to mention all the free amazing maps and mods from 2004-present.

RUSH said:

- No more casting dynamic shadows

I wonder when people will stop spreading this myth. In 5 years? 10?

By the way, there aren't any "static" shadows in Doom 3.

- Horribly long load times for consoles

I hope you're not advocating the old Xbox version.

- Unnecessary motion blur

Can be turned off.

I would only recommend Doom 3 BFG edition for PS3 or Xbox 360, for PS3 because Doom 3 and its expansions were never released for PS3 before and for Xbox 360 if you just want the compilation.
As for PC you should have bought the regular version along with its expansion either from Steam(it sucks) or other sites or buying it from the local store.
And plus you could buy regular Doom and Doom 2 as they are much better than the BFG which was censored by germans(why?) version.
No offense, but you made a mistake buying the PC D3BFG edition for pc.
And also many people here on DW play regular D3 than the BFG one.
Plus D3 has mod support unlike the BFG one, another reason to have regular D3.

I also bought Doom 3 BFG for PC and I consider it neither a waste of money, nor a mistake. I actually prefer the game being brighter, because the pitch black darkness of normal Doom 3 wasn't "atmospheric" for me. It was annoying. Doom 1 and 2 were "atmospheric", because the dev team knew very well when to use darkness (instead of making EVERYTHING dark by default). D3BFG is the only way to legally obtain "No Rest for the Living" for Doom 2, and "The Lost Mission" is also a decent map pack. Nothing mind-blowing or memorable, but no shame with it either.

Thus, don't feel bad for buying BFG only because others tell you to. You enjoyed the game and that's all that matters.

I picked up a disk version of BFG quite cheap on Amazon, even though I have the original and the expansion already. Bought it on a whim, and don't regret it. Enjoyed the extra campaigns for Doom2 {I run it with GZDoom} and Doom3. It's all a matter of personal preference, I enjoyed them both.

I own the Xbox 360 version and I can safely say I prefer Doom 3 Collectors Edition and Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil for the original Xbox for these reasons:

- Co-op for Doom 3.

- Both the Collectors Edition and ROE have Doom 2 and Ultimate Doom (ROE also has some of the Master Levels).

- More tedious levels were shortened.

- Costs less.

- Doom 3 Collectors Edition can be played on a 360 (Although the Doom 2 and Ultimate Doom games have dodgy sounds) and I think ROE can be patched to run on the 360 (not tried it yet).

- No Wolf levels censorship.

- Cheats can be activated on original Doom games (LT+ B B B B, LT + A A A A).

- Cheats can be activated on both Doom 3's (LT+ X A B Y).

- Easier to navigate PDA.

But there is these problems compared to the BFG edition:

- Load times suck ass.

- Looks like shit.

- Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 is gone :'(

- Lighting is awful.

- Outdoors often chugs.

- Chainsaw against walls is for some reason louder on original Xbox ports.

Honestly I never found any maps in Doom 3/ROE tedious, shortening any would just shorten the game a bit.

Oh, come on. Remember that part in Doom 3 where you have to use the transport/platform that lowers/raises to get through that section with all the death pits? That part fucking SUCKS and isn't fun. At all.

By the way,Since DOOM 3 looks nothing like Classic DOOM,and it's all about going forward and Killing demons (IT SUCKS,HELLYEAH CLASSIC DOOM WINS ONCE AGAIN ! >:D )