Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
gggmork

easy/quick way to load spirte images?

Is png best? If I have like 100 sprite images, do I have to manually "align" the x and y of each one, or is there some quick automated way to do all? I guess each image would be the same dimensions with transparent background. I'll just make a python program spit out a hundredish images probably, but rarely do doom sprite stuff so wondering what the easy/quick way to load so many images into a wad is from someone who is already familiar with it, without tediously doing one at a time or whatever.
I read the sprite articles at zdoom wiki so am familiar with the naming format for viewing angles/mirroring angles if wanted/etc.

SLADE has an automated mode for setting sprite offsets. Note that automatic offset tools assume a relatively symmetrical sprite. If you have a sprite that's longer on one side than the other (like a fighter swinging his sword to the side) you'll have to adjust offsets manually because the "real" center will not be the image's center.

Note that autooffsets are split into three categories: monsters, projectiles, and HUD weapons. Projectiles have their center right in the middle of the image, horizontally and vertically. The origin point for monsters and decorations is at the center horizontally but the bottom vertically; in Doom it's usually a couple pixels above the bottom to "sink" the sprite a bit in the ground but GL renderers will cut these parts off. HUD weapon sprites use offsets differently.

Gez said:

..... but GL renderers will cut these parts off. HUD weapon sprites use offsets differently.

However, GZDoom has various settings to counteract this clipping

All right, I'll probably download slade since I wanted to eventually anyway since I've been using xwe all this time, then try grabpng if I need it too. I guess slade uses the same light blue transparent color that xwe uses (even though its not 'true' transparent or whatever)?

Kappes Buur said:

However, GZDoom has various settings to counteract this clipping

I know, I even coded the "smarter" option. :p

They're still not really perfect, none of them.

gggmork said:

All right, I'll probably download slade since I wanted to eventually anyway since I've been using xwe all this time, then try grabpng if I need it too. I guess slade uses the same light blue transparent color that xwe uses (even though its not 'true' transparent or whatever)?

Slade can handle true transparent graphics. But if you have graphics with cyan background, then it's not a problem.

Look at the lower part here. See the transparency options? Click on "transparent colour". And you can choose the color! I've found sprite sheet where it was magenta for example (frequent for Wolf 3D sprites). Even better: you can click on a pixel in the "Current graphic" preview and it'll choose the color of that pixel as the transparent color.