Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Did Doom OST influence your musical taste?

I think one out of three PWADS from 1994-1998 used some MIDI rendition of a Nine Inch Nails song. I heard the .MID version of 'Head Like a Hole' in a Doom map years before the actual song. When I heard the original, it was probably the moment that NIN actually got some traction in my musical repertoire.

I'm not really into metal so no. Also I had the Jaguar version as a kid so it only aged music at intermissions. My favourite was the Imp's Song which played when you beat the game. It never led me to search out other music though. I never really associated video game music and with regular music, I suppose I considered them seperate entities.

The original Doom OST didn't really influence my tastes, though I do like metal. However, the PSX/N64 Doom soundtracks were my first introduction to dark ambient and they definitely got me into that kind of music (not just dark ambient, but all ambient really).

I guess maybe it did. I first played the SNES port when I was like 8 years old...I'm sure it had an impact as the SNES transposition of the tunes are spectacular. But I'm pretty sure I discovered Megaman X the same year if not sooner, and THAT was the game that made me a patented metalhead for life before I ever listened to real bands! :P

I wasn't aware, when I got into metal, that Doom was aping Pantera, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Slayer and others, but I do remember having an instant attraction to tracks like E1M1, the intermission music, E1M9, E2M1 and E3M3, among others. So I don't think it's surprising at all that when I started jamming heavy ass music, that it really struck a chord with me. Beyond that, I think Doom's blatant use of demonic and visceral imagery made death metal and black metal album covers that much more attractive to me.

I have an interesting take on this actually. When I started playing as an 8 year old in '94, I thought the music sounded very electronic and synthesized, because it was very electronic and synthesized, especially on older soundcards. I didn't even know it was supposed to be metal that I was listening to, I thought it was electronica! I've been into ambient electronica and synthpop ever since as a result.

^Heh, ditto. I was very taken with the glitchy, electronic timbres used in the OST, as played through an SB16, and this certainly had an influence on my taste in music - the fact that the pieces were based on metal tracks was not at all obvious at the time.

No. I grew up playing Megadrive/Genesis games like Thinderforce 3, Decap Attack and Sonic, so I was already into tuneful, instrumental music, which led to me being heavily into Muse. I've tried getting into heavy metal, it just doesn't do it for me.

EDIT: That said, Head Like a Hole is actually pretty good. It would suit the Resurgence megawad.

while I do like the Doom OST, it didn't really get me into that kind of metal (I'm more nu-metal actually). did get me to like Pantera though.

Yep. I don't know much about metal, and I don't listen to it except for classic metal like Black Sabbath or Led Zepp.
But Doom's music and subject matter definitely made me like dark and sinister sounding music.

I've only ever played the PC version of Doom, some people's comments about the console versions' music are intriguing.

My Dad and I recorded a cassette of Doom music off the computer so we could listen to it in the car, back in the day.

I guess not. I generally don't listen to music that much. I do like video game music though.

P.S: Ace Attorney OST is my favorite.

Doom music was actually more or less the sum total of all the music I listened to until like five years ago. I'm not sure it influenced my musical taste so much as was an early representation of it, but I think it definitely gave me an early appreciation for music that was moody, dramatic, sinister/creepy, and frequently repetitive and/or ambient.

Yep, thanks to it I like pantera and other featured metal bands atleast tracks that influenced doom music

OKJoy said:

've only ever played the PC version of Doom, some people's comments about the console versions' music are intriguing.

Same here. Though, I heard the console versions' music since, and I swear they have nothing to do with metal. All I heard are absolutely horror music, if you know what I mean.

Now that I think about it, PSX Final Doom and Doom 64 were my first introductions to dark ambient music, which I have occasionally explored since. To be honest, I haven't heard much in the genre that is truly more powerful than the PSX version!

Katamori said:

Same here. Though, I heard the console versions' music since, and I swear they have nothing to do with metal. All I heard are absolutely horror music, if you know what I mean.

I thought it was common knowledge that the soundtrack was different for the PSX game, and again different for the N64.

Here are some tracks to listen to for anyone who hasn't heard any of it.
http://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/doom-playstation-official-soundtrack

I think the PSX soundtrack goes with the new sound effects that version had, which were reused in Doom64 I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJA79_vw4BY