Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Drowning Mind

What about good ol' Hell?

i don't know, when i read all the interviews with ID representatives i get the feeling the Hell - levels might come a bit too short...they always say doom 3 mainly takes place on that mars base...which isnt a bad thing, but i want my living tissue to walk on, pentagrams made out of blood,people on poles, living trees, burning skies...sulfur...brimstone...you name it....there should be a contrast to the constant darkness of the mars base...maybe a nice thing would be an intersection like episode 2 was between the real world and hell...leading to inferno :)

i mean, just imagine a modern (or old fashioned) hell made with the doom3 engine...all they need is fantasy and the game could be even more frightening...
maybe i'm just an old fashioned purist, but i need those things...

if there won't be any (or too few) hellish maps i'm gonna jump from a roof or something

They already said the player will be making a short trip to hell. We probably won't get to see much of hell, but I think it will be sufficient. It's not easy to make living surroundings, you know.

'course it isnt...but then again, nothing they did with doom3 up to now seems to be easy to program :) i just hope the trip istn too short and hell isn't as dark as the base is..just a bit of hellfire here and there

No expansion for Hell - as many levels as possible in the full game. An expansion could be used for multiplayer.

I would rather have one or two superb, terrifying Hell levels, rather than a set of repetitive levels that are essentially the same Hell textures or environments that aren't very scary.

I'd like to see some variety in Hell e.g one level is full of human suffering like tortured humans, screaming and crying and so on, then the next is pure Evil, with pentagrams, satantic symbols, Hellish sequences (sort of like replays of death or evil acts), distorted laughing, human flesh for walls etc.

I expect Doom 3's hell will fit into the game like Xen did in Half-Life.

fuuuuuuuuck ! I want more than one hell level !

i mean, just imagine a modern (or old fashioned) hell made with the doom3 engine...all they need is fantasy and the game could be even more frightening...

^^ Too hard to do, i think

All we saw was problably the very first level (map) of doom III. All media that was shown to the public (quakecon, E3, Tokio)comes from this map. There is no way to base any conclusion from this one map about the setting of DOOM 3 and or the atmosphere in the levels (besides that is going to look cool). So a hellish atmosphere problably can be found in the levels, with as the climax a trip to hell (and back).

Liam the Bard said:

That bad?

I hope they'll try to keep it more true to the original Doom and make it so that the base gets more twisted and mutated as the player nears the gate.

I'm only wondering - if the portals are on Mars, and the Doomguy enters the first one to arrive in Hell, will the second portal be the his way out of Hell after he beats the big badass in the end?

I would love to se a crusified marine hanging on a wall without his legs with blood everywhere... and screaming of the terrifiing pain

Liam the Bard said:

It's your opinion about the game, and I respect that, but I loved the game till the point you had to go to Xen. I hated the game ever since you had to fight on that stupid alien planet. It looked like the environment of Super Mario on steroids...

Disorder said:

froth

I didn't say anything about my opinion of Xen, I said I expected Doom 3's Hell to fit into Doom 3 like it fit into Half-Life. You'll make your way deeper and deeper into the mars base until you find the gate, at which point you'll teleport to hell for a few final major battles before the end boss and the grand finale.

Dark-tenshi said:

i want to see many hell level like Limbo gate,Stygian river etc..
but limit the Hell level as necessary.

Nooo, for the love of God - don't make the Hell levels like that!
If there's to be loads of environmental hazards, make the traps more interesting than dumb lava or dumb boiling blood.

ok it might be bad idea for whole level with river and hazard blood.
but it would be nice to see any skybox contains the pic of this river.

I hope id does away with the basic skybox system.

As for Hell, it should be more than a slight excursion - closing the gate from the other side shouldn't be a simple task.

Taking down the entity that is leading the demonic invasion, or indeed, managed to open the gate shouldn't be a slight task either.

GS-1719 said:

What's so bad about the skyboxes?
Quake 2 was the first game I tried which had the skybox system and it seemed like the best solution in my eyes.

GS-1719 said:

They already did in Q3. You can have several skybox layers, transparent scrolling clouds, etc. I'm sure they'll come up with some cool Mars skies in Doom III... Those NASA pictures of a Mars sunset are just too cool.

Liam the Bard said:

We're being a bit pessimistic aren't we? The game hasn't even been released yet, so who knows?

DooMBoy said:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Liam the Bard said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're being a bit pessimistic aren't we? The game hasn't even been released yet, so who knows?

Liam the Bard said:
I didn't say anything about my opinion of Xen, I said I expected Doom 3's Hell to fit into Doom 3 like it fit into Half-Life. You'll make your way deeper and deeper into the mars base until you find the gate, at which point you'll teleport to hell for a few final major battles before the end boss and the grand finale.

Still think he's pessimistic?

My point is to make Hell is irrational as its possible... couse Hell itself just a feeling, not a location in Gods universe...

I prefer Hell to be much more same as on Giger pics...

Ok, you want original idea for Hell? How would like place where walls has gravitty? I mean you can walk everywhere!

BTW, hi everybody...

My mix would be a little Giger, a little lake of fire, a little Hellraiser and a lot of animated body parts.

Bloody animated body parts.

I'm a much bigger fan of the Hell levels than Mars. Hopefully Hell will come with many levels. If it doesn't, then it's time for me to learn how to WAD!

=)

A combination of gothic architecture, living flesh and Giger stuff. All supremely detailed of course.