Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Looper

Nomonster speedrunning

This is something that needs to be addressed. Cyb531, you've improved considerably and you are starting to compete seriously with others - but what you are playing is not fully comparable. I've tried running ur07o and reaching 33 took me some serious effort on pr+, but it was pretty damn easy and fast on gzdoom. See, the first few turns in 07 are very cramped and running through the course smoothly is very challenging on vanilla-like ports, because all stairs and dropoffs feel very icy and you lose all control. To make things worse, almost all collisions rob you of all your momentum, immediatelly ruining your run. This does not happen in gzdoom. There's much more air control/friction/ability to steer doomguy like he isn't a motorcycle on ice. Furthermore, gzdoom lets you to aim with a finer step, which is a curse for gliding, but a blessing for switch-from-below sniping, not to mention navigation in tight spaces. Last, but not least, gzdoom smoothens floor bumps. Seriously, that makes a ton of difference for a human brain.

I'm afraid we're quickly reaching the outcome everyone warned you about. As you get better, your runs are starting to challenge other speedrunners, but your port of choice changes the playing field, introducing a lot of small advantages and disadvantages. This makes comparison impossible and as far as I'm concerned, I think such demos should be in a separate thread.

I agree with Dew. I took some long serious time trying to get 33. You got 33 in about 15 minutes. I also feel that GZDoom ISN'T compareable to PrBoom records.
I also want everyone to know that Cyber rants on every stream that I'm a bad runner, and for this run, he said I can't control velocity because I'm "bad". As Dew stated, velocity is different. Control is hard. GZDoom makes it all in your favor Cyber.

I've tried using prboom but I have several major issues and no one I've asked knows how to fix them.

I have a lot of input delay, lag, and input drop from both glboom and prboom, although its worse in glboom. I've tried reinstalling and stuff but it doesn't fix the issue. Maybe its something to do with my keyboard/mouse, i dunno, but it doesn't happen in anything else. The "double click to use" option is off, yet I still have issues with using my mouse to activate things.
Mouse acceleration is also very annoying, and I dont know how to turn it off. I also experience quite a ton of lag in a lot of wads even with "settings" turned down. Like if I could find a way to avoid these issues then I would probably use it, but I don't know how to fix them and am not in any real rush to do so. If you wanna make a separation or something that's cool I suppose. or I could just not post demos in the threads or whatever. I'm not out to make anyone mad or anything, and I hope it doesn't come off that way. Also, minecraftdude, im just joshin come onnnn.

Could you post your pr+ cfg? I've never heard of such massive problems with that port. Have you tried choco or CNdoom for reference?

Thought so. I can't remember exactly what I have done to get rid of this issue for myself, but one of the things I did do was:

Control Panel: Mouse > Pointer Options > Uncheck 'Enhance pointer precision'

And thus my issue was resolved. If I have missed anything I'll be sure to check again from now and post again if necessary.

It is funny that they call it "enhanced pointer precision" when it does the exact opposite. Also who the fuck invented it anyways? I have never heard it being useful.

Heh, I have enhance pointer precision on, and I guess I'm pretty much used to it right now, so when I tried switching, it was less comfortable for me.

Looper said:

It is funny that they call it "enhanced pointer precision" when it does the exact opposite. Also who the fuck invented it anyways? I have never heard it being useful.

Well, it allows you to move the pointer faster. I have enhanced precision off and my mom says she can't use my computer because it takes too long to get the pointer to the opposite side of the screen. With enhanced precision you can do that easier by moving the mouse very fast.

Unholy Realms Episode 1 NoMo in 6:51
No txtfile for now, maybe later. This run has so many bumps, but cool tricks (map 6 guideless glide).
Cyber challenged me to do an Unholy Realms Episode 1 NoMo in sub-7 minutes as he had a 9:53 run. It has been achieved :)

urep1o651.zip

So, I don't care that it's not "done", I did a BTSX E1 nomo run anyways.
This is a demo for MAP24 Tough Skin River, with a time of 2:37. Not perfect, but it's the best I could manage.

bt24o237.zip

After 10+ hours grinding, 3 9.00s, 4 9.03s, and 10+ 9.06s...

Scythe map 21 in 0:08.97. Bunch of bonus slower demos included and a casual strafe40-only demo.

Last old Scythe nomo time that's beatable. Pretty certain that map 4 can't be done in less than 13, even with strafe50 (current record is strafe40 only).

sc21o897.zip

Scythe D2ALL in 10:27
Going to improve this run before I submit to DSDA

edit: bitched out and submitted to dsda, gonna start work on scythe uv-speed d2all

scd2allnomo1027.zip