Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Diamhea

Man, Hell Revealed is intense!

I wasn't that impressed at first, although maybe I am rusty. MAP11 (Underground Base) was a nice warmup but I was in no way prepared for MAP13 (Last Look at Eden). Totally freaking insane. One consistency in design I have noticed so far is the proclivity for lots of steep drops with enemies underneath that you can't feasibly see and assess. Lots of blind jumps into pits that are more often than not crawling with baddies.

MAP14 (City in the Clouds) was as frustrating as it was rewarding to finally beat, but I accidentally hit save after clearing one of the rooms that the cyberdemon randomly teleports into. Whoops, back to square one! I REALLY enjoyed the segmented approach of MAP17 (The Black Towers) and the viper pit it drops you into right off rip. I also got a good laugh out of MAP18 (Hard Attack) with that cloister that is fucking crawling with revenants. I dropped the lift down about 50 times and each time it returned with revs piled on top of each other. :D

I beat AV back in February or so but I haven't played much inbetween, but damn this is kicking my ass anew. Shame I passed this one up back in the day.

MAP14 was probably my most fun map architecturewise despite being nice and challenging.

MAP13 is where I remember the megawad finally hitting its stride in difficulty. Don't remember much else of it though, other than MAP24 being an absurd jump in difficulty. I would love re-experience this monstrosity from pistol start.

I'm still in the middle of my first playthrough of HR. (Currently on MAP25.) I'd actually played through the first dozen or so maps a couple times before, and they're a lot of fun, but not at all indicative of what awaits!

Hell Revealed is a classic. I don't really find it to be that intense, but it's pretty tight, and equally as tough as Plutonia. The infamous Map24, Post Mortem, is a precursor to those super-slaughter wads we see nowadays.

my favorite maps:11-14,16,18,22,23,26
15/24 are cool but confusing routes make me like them less

I tried doing all maps in a single demo/no deaths for awhile, but stupid map 30 makes it too hard/annoying. The rest were doable if I remember (probably is a demo of all maps on doomed speed demo archive doing this now anyway).