Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kontra Kommando

Viral Video Skewed by Huffington Post

Article said:

A verbal dispute on the New York City subway unraveled into an underground brawl after a male passenger took a swing at a woman who insulted him.

Pretty sure I’m watching the same video that was posted to the article. You can clearly see that not only did this woman provoke the fight verbally, but she had physically assaulted him first! Moreover, if you take a look at the comments section, people there are outraged by what is printed as well. I’m not trying to argue whether she “deserves it” or not. But clearly, she is responsible for the brawl; not the man.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/10/subway-slap-video_n_6132594.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000021

I'm sorry, was the article somehow edited between your post and me reading it?

The woman then yells "You sound stupid!" and then swings her bag at the man. Finally, the man unloads a thundering, right-handed slap to the face, sparking an all-out melee as innocent bystanders flee the subway car.

This is actually what happens in the video. Can you properly explain to me what sparked your outrage?

dew said:

I'm sorry, was the article somehow edited between your post and me reading it?

This is actually what happens in the video. Can you properly explain to me what sparked your outrage?

My issue is that the title of the article, and the opening sentences suggest something else.

Title: Man 'Smacks The Soul' Out Of Woman, Ignites Subway Brawl [half-truth]

SHE had ignited the brawl.

"A verbal dispute on the New York City subway unraveled into an underground brawl after a male passenger took a swing at a woman who insulted him." [half-truth]

The title of the article was, as far as I can tell, based on the title of the video. And of course his slap ignites the fight, it's what everyone was waiting for. If you read the article in its entirety, it describes the situation... in its entirety. Bitch got what she had coming, sure! On the other hand, I find it hilarious that people get so upset over the article not stating this "moral implication" directly. How dare they not do our thinking for us? We need our facts premasticated and fed mouth-to-mouth!

This is tabloid fodder.

dew said:

The title of the article was, as far as I can tell, based on the title of the video. And of course his slap ignites the fight, it's what everyone was waiting for.

I'm pretty sure, her hitting him started the fight. When he slapped her, it was a reaction to being hit first.

dew said:

If you read the article in its entirety, it describes the situation... in its entirety. Bitch got what she had coming, sure! On the other hand, I find it hilarious that people get so upset over the article not stating this "moral implication" directly. How dare they not do our thinking for us? We need our facts premasticated and fed mouth-to-mouth!

This is tabloid fodder.

Do you not have an issue with the news suggesting false implications with the way they present their stories? This is what the meat of this thread is about, rather than the story itself. regardless of the content of the article, the title of the article implies that the woman is the victim here, when in fact she is the perpetrator.

Technically, you can be wrong. She instigated the entire situation, but the brawl clearly started only after the guy slapped her and other people quickly jumped to her or his defence. You and all the other outraged commentators are insulted by HuffPo's decision on when the brawl started. Well, what if I am insulted by your definition of what constitutes a brawl?

To be honest, I think people look too much into the wording of the article, because they still feel an adrenaline rush from watching the video. Like, they'd punch a bunny because it didn't condemn the woman enough.

dew said:

Technically, you can be wrong. She instigated the entire situation, but the brawl clearly started only after the guy slapped her and other people quickly jumped to her or his defence. You and all the other outraged commentators are insulted by HuffPo's decision on when the brawl started. Well, what if I am insulted by your definition of what constitutes a brawl?

To be honest, I think people look too much into the wording of the article, because they still feel an adrenaline rush from watching the video. Like, they'd punch a bunny because it didn't condemn the woman enough.

If you think about it, after she hit him, and his subsequent slap; the brawl really started when the others jumped in. I would consider a brawl to be a fight between more than two people. That being said, the third parties involved really started the brawl. At any rate, she initiated the violence on the subway. Which is probably why she was charged with a felony, and the man only received a misdemeanor. He was only defending himself. Which makes me ask the question, what can a person do in a situation when they are attacked? Apparently according to the law, you have to just take it until the cops arrive.

http://nypost.com/2014/11/10/subway-brawl-breaks-out-after-man-slaps-woman/

I found this video pretty damn funny. As a barbaric Russian, I can imagine a subway fight over a bottle of beer or something, but a fight sparked from a fashion debate? Wohahaha.

Memfis said:

I found this video pretty damn funny. As a barbaric Russian, I can imagine a subway fight over a bottle of beer or something, but a fight sparked from a fashion debate? Wohahaha.

lmao that's the village for you. Also, this generation of narcissistic youths.

Kind of funny that she criticizes his 8 ball jacket, when I'm sure a lot of the clothes that she wears was probably inspired from the 80s and 90s. Shit, she hit him with leopard print shoes (was not a bag like the article said). Everyone has a pair of doc martins and motorcycle jackets nowadays.

I work at a university, you'd swear it was 1989 or something. Though, I'm not complaining, because the girls look hot.

Kontra Kommando said:

At any rate, she initiated the violence on the subway.

Yes.

Which is probably why she was charged with a felony, and the man only received a misdemeanor.

Gooood! Seems like the system works for once. I guess he got hit with that for the massive and kinda disproportionate hulk out. That slap could've snapped a small tree, haha!

Which makes me ask the question, what can a person do in a situation when they are attacked? Apparently according to the law, you have to just take it until the cops arrive.

Whaaaaa- but you just said... eh, bait not worth it.