Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

A question for Quentin Tarantino fans

Quentin Tarantino has announced that he would like to retire after finishing his 10th movie. He said that this means he has to make two more movies after his current production ("The Hateful Eight").

This sort of makes me puzzled, because Tarantino ALREADY has at least 10 movies in his resume, so I started wondering what is considered a movie "made by Tarantino" and which 7 of his creations does he consider "his".

This list shows more than 40 titles, in which he has been involved in one way or another:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentin_Tarantino_filmography

The most "logical" thing I could come up with, were movies which he both wrote and directed from start to finish (i.e., not just a segment of someone else's movie). I also assume we count his movies from "Reservoir Dogs" up (since "My Best Friend's Birthday" has never been officially released) and we count both "Kill Bill" volumes as one movie. So the list of films is:

1) Reservoir Dogs
2) Pulp Fiction
3) Jackie Brown
4) Kill Bill vol. 1 and 2
5) Death Proof
6) Inglourious Basterds
7) Django Unchained
8) The Hateful Eight (in production)

Is it more or less correct?

Honestly, I'm not sure, but if we're counting "The Hateful Eight" as his eighth movie, I think he should go out on that. Kinda has a nice ring to it, actually. Also, I'm just eternally worried that he's going to wind up screwing up somehow - I've loved every movie of his I've seen, but with every new movie, I keep fearing he's going to go overboard in terms of adding too much "Tarantino-ness" to his movies (much in the same way that Tim Burton's movies have become practically a parody of themselves), and that we'll end up remembering him as that guy who just took things too far. Not that he's done that yet, in my opinion, but with every new movie, I keep worrying he will.

Reservoir Dogs will always be his best, imo. So he'll be remembered for that.

Maybe he can screw up, I thought Django wasn't going to succeed , but it was better than I thought it was going to be (Christopher Waltz I think was still the best character and actor in the whole thing). I didn't think DiCapri was going to do much as the villain, but he was better than expected, and the film's moments of violence were the tried and true form of Tarantino violence (Except a lot more watery. The number of water balloons with red dye may have put Planet Terror to shame).

With that said, out of all his movies, I never really did care for the Kill Bill films. I've seen scenes and good chunks of both, and yah they have some interesting scenes here and there and some cool camera and directing tricks, but it's a one-trick pony. It's iconic for Thurmen in her jumpsuit, but, eh....

With that said, I'm not the biggest Tarantino fan, but I liked his movies for the most part.

I think of all films he made, Inglourious Basterds is the most famous, because it has lots of parodies around the internet making it in 2ยบ only to Der Untergang which has more parodies than it in all the Hitler's films.

Directed vs written vs acted

Oh Deathproof, what a shit movie that was probably written, filmed and released in the span of a month. 20 minute circling dialog sequence around a table.

geo said:

Oh Deathproof, what a shit movie that was probably written, filmed and released in the span of a month. 20 minute circling dialog sequence around a table.

I think that movie was decent, its just that it pales in comparison to Planet Terror. Kurt Russell's character was hilarious. That's wimpy guy at the bar's dialogue makes me laugh every time.

I actually didn't like Inglorious Bastards so much, but Christopher Waltz was brilliant. His character made that movie. His role in D'jango was even better.

As for Quentin retiring, I hope he goes back on his announcement. He's still pretty young; 51 years old. Martin Scorsese is 71, and he's still producing quality films (i.e.The Departed, Wolf of Wall Street). If Quentin does stop, I bet it would only be temporary, until his passion comes calling again.

geo said:

Yah, I liked that movie too. I felt it was closer to a "Grindhouse" film than Planet Terror was. PT was a good movie, but it just looked like a then-modern movie with lots of blood and a Premiere filter thrown on top to make it "look vintage" or something.

I really liked Planet Terror. But yes it was like a modern day zombie movie coupled with a lot of over the top zaniness.

Wasn't Rob Zombie supposed to turn his grindhouse trailer into a real movie like they did with Machete?

I took a star tour a month ago of the Hollywood Hills. Got to see Quinton's house / compound / gates. That is all.

I'm a Tarantino fan. I think the list in the OP is probably right the only other possibility I can imagine is if he does not count Death Proof and the Kill Bill films are counted separately.

Like geekmarine I worry he will go too far with his self indulgence to the point of self parody. Especially after Death Proof and Inglorious Basterds were I thought he went a bit far. Both are still pretty good films but, unlike the Kill Bill films, I think they suffer because of this. Django was a return to form in my opinion though so I'm hopeful for his future films.

I would be disappointed to only get 3 more Tarantino films but I can imagine him doing this as he isn't prolific by any means.

geo said:

Wasn't Rob Zombie supposed to turn his grindhouse trailer into a real movie like they did with Machete?

What one was the Rob Zombie one again? I would really like to see the Werewolf one come to fruition, and Thankgiving for kicks.

Werewolf Women of the SS. It was to star Nicholas Cage I think. His new movie is about a gang of clowns that kidnaps people. His last movie Lords of Salem was extremely dull. More so horrifying in a nude elderly woman sort of way. I saw El Superbeasto three weeks ago. I knew it would be awful, just not in the awful way that it really was. I had to see the movie after visiting Rob Zombie's haunted house that has a Superbeasto segment. *spit*

Hellbent said:

I always think of From Dusk Till Dawn as a quintessential Tarentino movie. He did direct it,d didn't he?

Nope, he starred in it. Robert Rodriguez directed it.

Hellbent said:

I always think of From Dusk Till Dawn as a quintessential Tarentino movie. He did direct it,d didn't he?

If I recall correctly, he and Robert Rodriguez were supposed to co write it but Rodriguez dragged his heels so much that Tarantino ended up taking over most of the writing and directing duties even though Rodriguez still ended up getting the credit.

But I could be wrong.

[EDIT] Turns out I'm confusing two Roberts; originally special effects wizard Robert Kurtzman was supposed to direct but he did the heel dragging and Rodriguez was brought on. Quenton wrote it though!

It wouldn't surprise me if he did more work on From Dusk Till Dawn than Rodriguez, simply because that movie really does have Tarantino's stamp all over it. And either way, that's definitely an awesome pair-up - I just can't believe I hadn't seen it until only a couple of years ago.

I've been forced to follow the Dusk Til Dawn Trilogy and its TV series. According to the credits, Quinton wrote Dusk Til Dawn, but someone else came up with the story. Its fun to think someone gets money for coming up with the story and someone else gets paid to write it.

If I remember correctly, according to the DVD commentary, Quinton said no one but himself could pull off his character. He wrote it with himself in mind.

Watching the 8 episode series just felt long. I already knew what would happen. I didn't need to see extra details. It will be interesting to see if Season 2 is about Dusk Til Dawn 2. Making me wonder who will play Robert Patrick's character since Robert Patrick was in the first season.

As for Quinton movies. Here you go:

1. My Best Friend's Birthday
2. Resevoir Dogs
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Four Rooms
5. Jackie Brown
6. Kill Bill (2 movie count as 1)
7. Death Proof
8. Inglorious Bastards
9. Django Unchained
10.The H8ful 8

Tarantino will come back. He always comes back with something bloodier, snappier, and more on point than before. It sounds like he got caught up in the production cycle and over-management. I think a little time off would be good for his family.

TheCupboard said:

Tarantino will come back. He always comes back with something bloodier, snappier, and more on point than before. It sounds like he got caught up in the production cycle and over-management. I think a little time off would be good for his family.

I hope you're right, but I share Geekmarine's worries - that one day Quentin will just go "too far" with his style and end up as a parody of himself. Thus far he's doing really well though and I'd like it to stay that way. Go Quentin!

geo said:

As for Quinton movies. Here you go:

1. My Best Friend's Birthday
2. Resevoir Dogs
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Four Rooms
5. Jackie Brown
6. Kill Bill (2 movie count as 1)
7. Death Proof
8. Inglorious Bastards
9. Django Unchained
10.The H8ful 8

Yeah, I know about numbers "1" and "4" on your list, but Quentin said that The Hateful Eight is his eighth movie, not tenth (he still wants to make two more). That's why I was puzzled which movies have to be cut from the list. I chose "My Best Friend's Birthday" (because it never received the official release) and "Four Rooms" (because he only directed one segment), among others cut for similar reasons (i.e. "Natural Born Killers", for which he wrote the script, but the movie was directed by Oliver Stone)

Maybe Quinton is just forgetful.

A user title that's actually helpful.

Anyways, even if Tarantino takes a break from directing, I have a feeling he may end up in other Rodreguiez films for cameos or bit roles, like Planet Terror and Sin City (The latter not so much a cameo appearance but a cameo-Director).

Clonehunter said:

A user title that's actually helpful.

Anyways, even if Tarantino takes a break from directing, I have a feeling he may end up in other Rodreguiez films for cameos or bit roles, like Planet Terror and Sin City (The latter not so much a cameo appearance but a cameo-Director).

I hope he just quits altogether. Tarantino is an overrated piece of shit.

I had no idea until this thread that he did Jackie Brown. I only vaguely remember that movie but I should watch it again sometime soon.

I'd be kind of surprised if he really did retire after the 10th, but then again I'd imagine it means he'll busy himself with just writing/producing from there on out. Maybe he just feels that the 10th movie is where he want's to leave full-on directing.

For sure though I can't imagine him full on leaving the movie industry. We will be involved one way or another for years after the 10th film.