Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yakuzaBoss

X-mas Nightmare versions

Hi people, I need help. I want to know if there's someone with the demo version of X-mas Nightmare for Doom II 2K7 because I can't find it anywhere.
I just found the full complete version (with 32 levels) here:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/64053-x-mas-nightmare-doom-2-2007/
But now I'm searching for the demo (7 levels). As you can see here: http://youtu.be/Zbc0HhBH5XQ ,there are 7 levels (MAP01, MAP02, MAP03, MAP04, MAP07, MAP08 and MAP10). So if there's someone with this demo, could you please re-upload it?

Mad Butcher said:

The X-mas mod I posted in that thread is the version made by JudgeSpear (dated 2007), and it only has 8 levels.

Are you 100% sure? Maybe something is wrong, when I open the mod between xmasdm2.bat, I can easily count 30 levels plus 2 extra from wolfenstein 3D. Level 6 and level 9 don't have snow but only christmas characters. Level 10 is the North Pole. The game doesn't end at level 10 but it continues until 30 and from 11 to 30 there is no snow. I admit that I used IDCLEV01-30 so I don't know if that's the problem.
Some year ago JudgeSpear said that he was going to release a complete version, maybe this is the complete one.
In the video posted above you can see that the game ends at level 10. So I have a different version.

yakuzaBoss said:

I admit that I used IDCLEV01-30 so I don't know if that's the problem.

That's the problem. X-mas Nightmare contains maps 1 to 5, 7, 8 & 10, all the others you've found are standard Doom 2 IWAD maps.

GreyGhost said:

That's the problem. X-mas Nightmare contains maps 1 to 5, 7, 8 & 10, all the others you've found are standard Doom 2 IWAD maps.

So how to solve the problem? Because if I finish level 5, I automatically advance to the level 6. If I finish level 8 I advance to 9. If I finish level 10, the game doesn't end.
Other strange thing is the "Gui", in fact I have the classic one: There's a different font for the number of ammos and the gift packs are not marked.

I have Doom95 plus GZDoom 1.8.02 and nothing else. I launch the mod using xmasdm2.bat.
Somebody help me please :(

yakuzaBoss said:

So how to solve the problem? Because if I finish level 5, I automatically advance to the level 6. If I finish level 8 I advance to 9. If I finish level 10, the game doesn't end.

I'm not sure, but I think that can't be done, at least in vanilla. If a given mapset has less than 30 maps, if it ends, for example, in MAP19, once you finish MAP19 you will automatically start MAP20 even if the game was supposed to end after 19 levels.

Of course, if you're using a source port (such as ZDoom), I'm pretty sure there has to be a way around this.

EDIT: Oh, and it's not actually a "problem" (at least that's not how I see it), it's just the way Doom works.

Zed said:

I'm not sure, but I think that can't be done, at least in vanilla. If a given mapset has less than 30 maps, if it ends, for example, in MAP19, once you finish MAP19 you will automatically start MAP20 even if the game was supposed to end after 19 levels.

Uhm, that's not totally true, all the other mods with 7-8-9-10 levels works fine.
Then I discovered that level 11 is "The New Year Eve" so this is really the complete version of X-mas Nightmare for Doom II 2K7. In fact from 11 to 30 are all new levels and nothing to do with Doom II classic levels.
Try it yourself if you don't belive me

Zed said:

Of course, if you're using a source port (such as ZDoom), I'm pretty sure there has to be a way around this.

The mod requires GZDoom. Without GZDoom the mod doesn't work.

yakuzaBoss said:

Then I discovered that level 11 is "The New Year Eve" so this is really the complete version of X-mas Nightmare for Doom II 2K7. In fact from 11 to 30 are all new levels and nothing to do with Doom II classic levels.
Try it yourself if you don't belive me

I've never seen a version of JudgeSpear's X-mas mod with more than 8 maps. Please provide a link to the version of the mod you have.

Mad Butcher said:

Download the file from that link and you will have the version with 8 maps. :)

This is the only X-mas nightmare version I have. Have you tried idclev11 ? Try it out.
Really strange, at level 10 my mod doesn't end and I directly pass to level 11 "The New Year Eve".
I'm using Doom95. I didn't follow the installation instructions from xmas4dm.txt but simply launch the mod by cicking on xmasdm2.bat.
Also I should correct myself: I'm using GZDoom 1.0.29.563 and not 1.8.02 as I said above.

there is no New Year's Eve map. there was gonna be one, and the mapinfo for the text screen, music etc. is there, but JudgeSpear never released that map. xmas4dm is NOT about JudgeSpear's X-Mas Nightmare, but the original X-Mas Nightmare from way back when made by Bytebrothers Software. perhaps you have them both confused with each other? though it to see why, since the original X-Mas Nightmare levels aren't in the zip file.

so, to summarize: the New Year's Eve map was planned to be in, but it doesn't exist, at least not in released form. JS probably got burned out working on the thing at some point.

Doomhuntress said:

there is no New Year's Eve map. there was gonna be one, and the mapinfo for the text screen, music etc. is there, but JudgeSpear never released that map. xmas4dm is NOT about JudgeSpear's X-Mas Nightmare, but the original X-Mas Nightmare from way back when made by Bytebrothers Software. perhaps you have them both confused with each other? though it to see why, since the original X-Mas Nightmare levels aren't in the zip file.

xmas4dm.txt is located in the XMASDM2.zip and I never played X-mas Nightmare by Bytebrothers Software. I only downloaded XMASDM2.zip, extracted in the main directory of doom II and played it by launching xmasdm2.bat. I'm seriously thinking that there's some sort of confusion with no reason in fact I passed level 5 -the famous incomplete MAP05- and the level 6 is "The Shopping Maul" but is a DoomII classic map with an other name (don't remember it).
The main problem is that this error persists also in the other PCs.
I don't know what to do I'm dejected

yakuzaBoss said:

xmas4dm.txt is located in the XMASDM2.zip and I never played X-mas Nightmare by Bytebrothers Software. I only downloaded XMASDM2.zip, extracted in the main directory of doom II and played it by launching xmasdm2.bat. I'm seriously thinking that there's some sort of confusion with no reason in fact I passed level 5 -the famous incomplete MAP05- and the level 6 is "The Shopping Maul" but is a DoomII classic map with an other name (don't remember it).
The main problem is that this error persists also in the other PCs.
I don't know what to do I'm dejected

there's nothing "wrong" at all. JudgeSpear simply never finished all the planned maps, so The Shopping Maul, The North Pole, and New Year's Eve never made it into the mod, but the story and MAPINFO, as well as the music, are there. he probably didn't know how to make the player skip the levels that aren't replaced, and fix parts of the story to fit the cut-out levels, or just didn't bother fixing it at all and leave the full story and MAPINFO intact.

so once again, those levels are not in this version of the mod. only the MAPINFO (level names alongside custom text screens), music files and story are. the xmas4dm, WAD_AUTH, README!, and MATERIAL text files all references the original X-Mas Nightmare made by Bytebrothers Software way back then, which JS took a few graphics from i believe, as well as modified one of its levels for HIS X-Mas Nightmare mod. why he didn't include a readme written by himself, and dumped all of the old X-Mas Nightmare stuff into a folder called "XMAS_ORIGINAL" or something is beyond me...

Finally I did it! I modified MAPINFO simply using eXtendable Wad Editor (XWE). I removed maps 06, 09 and 11 and I set up:

map MAP10 "Santa's Workshop"
levelnum 10
//titlepatch CWILV09
next EndGameC
secretnext MndGameC

Instead of

map MAP10 "Santa's Workshop"
levelnum 10
//titlepatch CWILV09
next MAP11
secretnext MAP11

Now is ALL perfect!