Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Is anybody working on a Blood source port?

If Atari owns the IP, I don't understand why they wouldn't want to exploit it by releasing the source code - they're selling it on Steam and GOG, I'd think releasing the source code to allow a modern port to be created would be a great way to bolster sales. I mean yeah, it's not a direct thing, but I just can't see any way releasing the source code wouldn't lead people to be like, "Hey, someone's working on a modern port of Blood, maybe I should check it out!"

FireFish said:

you misinterpreted the post you responded to.

I suspect the giant red tekst to be a second chance warning, telling posters to
change or be losered instead of making an instant loser out of people who
registered long before the offense.

- excuse my derailing.

Triple and quadruple posting and being snarky toward single-forum mods like myself who have nothing to do with it certainly isn't a step in the right direction, either.

geekmarine said:

If Atari owns the IP, I don't understand why they wouldn't want to exploit it by releasing the source code - they're selling it on Steam and GOG, I'd think releasing the source code to allow a modern port to be created would be a great way to bolster sales.

Old business people who don't understand games (or care to) just try to go "by the book" in their actions. All they know is that they've been told that this weird arcane asset called "source code" is very valuable/powerful as it can be used to create more games. They ignore that the value has limited shelf-life even when people try to explain it to them.

Kinda like how the suits at Activision were so afraid to relicense the Raven code under the GPL because they thought the source code was still commercially valuable. They came through eventually, but I don't think Time Warner (owners of the empty husk that is Atari) is as likely to be receptive to rational public input.

Quasar said:

I can't say anything more. It's called a non-disclosure agreement. You'll find out with everybody else.

Is it that mysterious "community-related" project that keeps you out from currently working on EE?

FireFish said:

you misinterpreted the post you responded to.

I suspect the giant red tekst to be a second chance warning, telling posters to
change or be losered instead of making an instant loser out of people who
registered long before the offense.

- excuse my derailing.

Do they change back the giant red fuck? I haven't seen that.

Sodaholic said:

Old business people who don't understand games (or care to) just try to go "by the book" in their actions. All they know is that they've been told that this weird arcane asset called "source code" is very valuable/powerful as it can be used to create more games. They ignore that the value has limited shelf-life even when people try to explain it to them.

Kinda like how the suits at Activision were so afraid to relicense the Raven code under the GPL because they thought the source code was still commercially valuable. They came through eventually, but I don't think Time Warner (owners of the empty husk that is Atari) is as likely to be receptive to rational public input.

That's a different case, I don't think there was any opposition to release the Raven code for Hexen/Heretic, it was just skipped back when the games were new, and they forgot about the games. Does Time Warner own Atari? I thought Atari was owned by Infogrames.

geekmarine said:

If Atari owns the IP, I don't understand why they wouldn't want to exploit it by releasing the source code - they're selling it on Steam and GOG, I'd think releasing the source code to allow a modern port to be created would be a great way to bolster sales. I mean yeah, it's not a direct thing, but I just can't see any way releasing the source code wouldn't lead people to be like, "Hey, someone's working on a modern port of Blood, maybe I should check it out!"

Their policy is "We don't release the source code to our games." That's what they said back to another earlier effort by the community to release the source code. And probably a source code release by itself wouldn't bolster sales, unless there was an active Atari-sanctioned port like Megaton edition or Redux released on Steam/gog and such. I think Devolver tried to buy the IP from Atari last year, but they wanted more than what Devolver was going to offer.

Sodaholic said:

You're obnoxious and entitled. Stop it.

Try ignoring him. I suspect doomgargoyle has set in train a cunning plan to rid himself of his current custom title. ;)

Well quasar knows what he's talking about, so let's just wait for something to pop up.

doomgargoyle said:

Their policy is "We don't release the source code to our games."
I think Devolver tried to buy the IP from Atari last year, but they wanted more than what Devolver was going to offer.

That pretty sums up what i previously said and yeah Devolver Digital tried to buy the Blood IP, but Atari wanted more than what they had to offer.
But there might be some chance that if Devolver gets enough money they might try to buy it again.

J.B.R said:

That pretty sums up what i previously said and yeah Devolver Digital tried to buy the Blood IP, but Atari wanted more than what they had to offer.
But there might be some chance that if Devolver gets enough money they might try to buy it again.

Yes, but there's one thing though. How much money Devolver can get is not equal to how much they would like to shell out for the Blood IP. Devolver could get a billion bucks next week, but that doesn't mean they would like to spend it all for Blood. Its how much they think the Blood IP is worth what matters. Maybe they would like to have it because they did the Duke and SW ports, but they probably don't want to spend more than a certain amount for it.

GreyGhost said:

Try ignoring him. I suspect doomgargoyle has set in train a cunning plan to rid himself of his current custom title. ;)

Yes, and my plan includes making lots of posts that will fill up the thread with lots of blank space. :)

Yep, his cunning plan worked. I'll bet he's pleased with himself for managing to outsmart the forum staff. :D

GreyGhost said:

Yep, his cunning plan worked. I'll bet he's pleased with himself for managing to outsmart the forum staff. :D

Honestly I think it's that the staff don't care about the title they've given someone after time and have better things to do then regiving someone a title they once had after they were unbanned/unlosered.

Avoozl said:

Honestly I think it's that the staff don't care about the title they've given someone after time and have better things to do then regiving someone a title they once had after they were unbanned/unlosered.

Preeeeetttyyy sure GreyGhost is being sarcastic/facetious. Just maybe :P

When I had heard about the DarkXL engine being developed I had maybe a mild interest until I heard it could also potentially be used for a Blood port, which really sparked my interest. I'm sad to see many of the status updates at the beginning of this thread are defunct or slowed to a crawling pace.

@Gez - Why is Rany Heit's ZBlood "very unlikely"?

VGA said:

Well quasar knows what he's talking about, so let's just wait for something to pop up.

Probably relevant:
http://doom64ex.wordpress.com/2014/11/14/big-announcement-coming-soon/

Kirby said:

@Gez - Why is Rany Heit's ZBlood "very unlikely"?

It's not really a committed project. His first reverse engineering efforts were lost to a hard drive crash years ago. He doesn't seem to have much time nowadays for hobby projects, given how little presence he has had on the ZDoom forums in the last several months.

Possibly relevant to the sidetrack about whatever mysterious Strife-related project Quasar has been hinting at; not possibly relevant to the original topic.

These blurry screenshots really look like scenes out of Strife to me. Everything from the color palette to the kind of architecture that can be vaguely guessed to the look of the status bar... I think I can even recognize one of the maps.

Was "One unit Whole blood"'s Source code released ?
EDIT: You may have to check this out :
http://www.blood-wiki.org/index.php/Blood_Source_Campaign
And :
Blood Wiki Quote : "Despite the best efforts of fans, most notably the Blood Source Campaign, the source code to Blood has never been released. This has lead to projects like Transfusion, ZBlood and others which attempt to re-create the game or game's style on alternate engines. "

Considering that OUWB is literally just the Blood version of the Plutonium Pack plus an expansion, I'm going to let you figure that one out.