Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
durian

Projectiles opening doors.

Something I've noticed on testing some maps in Eternity (current version) is that projectiles seem to be able to open certain doors. Here's a map to demonstrate:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28198906/DW/projdoor.wad

Fire any of the projectiles at the door and it will open. The door is activated by the BOOM generalised line 15769. From the other side of the door, projectiles will not open it, and the only difference is that - on the other side - the activating line is disabled for monsters (15641).

Unrelatedly, I've also noticed that certain cheats (e.g., IDDQD) seem to carry over when a new game is started.

durian said:

Something I've noticed on testing some maps in Eternity (current version) is that projectiles seem to be able to open certain doors. Here's a map to demonstrate:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28198906/DW/projdoor.wad

Fire any of the projectiles at the door and it will open. The door is activated by the BOOM generalised line 15769. From the other side of the door, projectiles will not open it, and the only difference is that - on the other side - the activating line is disabled for monsters (15641).

Unrelatedly, I've also noticed that certain cheats (e.g., IDDQD) seem to carry over when a new game is started.

Do you know if the linedef problem is a regression from earlier versions; have you tried the same in PrBoom+? (Sorry just trying to save myself some work if you're able to test those yourself ;)

The latter is a decision that was made in Boom.

I'm afraid I don't know about that, but I can at least confirm that projectiles don't open such doors in PrBoom+ (at -cl9).

That's interesting to know re. cheats! Odd decision.

Hmmm... after further testing I can confirm that, in PrB+, while projectiles fired by the player have no effect, revenenat rockets, manc fireballs, and arachnotron plasma will all open the door. Projectiles from original DOOM monsters - imp, cacodemon, baron, cyberdemon - have no effect.

durian said:

Hmmm... after further testing I can confirm that, in PrB+, while projectiles fired by the player have no effect, revenenat rockets, manc fireballs, and arachnotron plasma will all open the door. Projectiles from original DOOM monsters - imp, cacodemon, baron, cyberdemon - have no effect.

Those projectile types could activate line actions in the vanilla game engine, because id forgot to add them to a special-case switch statement in P_CrossSpecialLine. So you're saying *other* projectiles can open the door in EE? I'm just trying to be sure.

Exactly. In addition to those projectiles, projectiles fired by the player in EE will also open the door - this does not occur in PrB+ at -cl9.