04 - Storage Warehouse
05 - Star Command
06 - Gateway
07 - Proving Grounds
08 - March of the Damned
09 - Magma Refinery
10 - Lair
11 - Bad Blood

Bad Blood: Episode One is the first part of a planned 32-level megawad that I started around January. Originally the intent was simply to make a few vanilla-compatible levels, until I lost interest, ran out of ideas, or other projects took up my time. Incidentally, that never happened, and I found myself rapidly approaching a soft goal of "about 10 maps," and as I continued, I found that both my mapping skill was increasing, and my ideas kept going. The wad has a light setting/storyline, but only as much as Doom 1 or 2 has, and nothing that's particularly interesting.

Episode One will contain maps 1-11, while Episodes Two and Three will consist of maps 12-20 (plus Map 31) and maps 21-30 (plus Map 32). I currently have no target date for the remaining two episodes, but I do have ideas. The wad was originally targeted towards 100% vanilla compatibility, but as resources were added and map complexity started to rise, it has been moved to limit-removing compatibility. (I will be testing the levels in PRBoom+ and ZDoom, but you are encouraged to play it on whatever port you wish.) Each level has been tested and balanced with the aim of being able to complete the level from pistol start with no secrets, although I have carefully planned progression for those players who enjoy continuous playthroughs.

The wad will contain some new/different textures (mostly recoloured Doom 2 textures and Too Much Brown), new music (some composed specifically for this wad!) and a Dehacked patch for some new objects and decorations--nothing fancy, just some added variety. There will also (eventually) be a ZDoom MAPINFO lump allowing you to start from any episode you wish, ala Doom 1.

The finished version of Episode One will be released, well, when it's done. Currently the last two maps are in progress. As it is, I have currently uploaded the first 9 maps in a "beta" release. Play it on whatever port your want and let me know if there are any bugs, structural or gameplay problems, parts that suck ass, and rooms/areas you feel could look better. Jumping is allowed and the maps are designed in a way that they won't break horribly if you jump (Map07 excluded) but it is not necessary to complete the levels.

Screenshots:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/854lej9aahi4dhw/AAA-YDs8H49V_3FFUWRiUTCsa/Doom%20Stuff/Bad%20Blood%20screenshots?dl=0

Beta release (version 2, updated 9/21):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62697468/Doom%20Stuff/BadBlood_092114.zip

The screenshots tempted me in, so I'll give this a go. :D I'll be playing through on UV in Zandronum with no jumping.

Map 1: It's a map 1, and to me it does what a map 1 should do for this sort of Megawad in that it brings you into the game nicely. I found all the secrets on this map so I'm pretty stacked going into the next one.

Map 2: Awesome music! I only managed to find 2 of the secrets on this one but holy damaging floors on the way to the SSG. Given how tight that area is, no radiation suit, and the fact it's only a SSG, is there a need for the floor to take THAT much health? I think you can take 120 damage minimum going there and back if you get through without getting stuck anywhere. I took 140 damage in total so it's lucky I had 200/100 going in. It seems disproportionately high given you have no prior warning of where you need to go in there and that it's only a SSG which you pick up normally in the next map anyway. Otherwise I really enjoyed this map.

Map 3: I was really expecting an ambush after getting the yellow key; I think that would be a good spot for some enemies to appear, maybe from behind one of the walls. I expected the RL to be a secret but it seems like it wasn't.

Map 4: I really enjoyed the whole "extra" part of the map that isn't necessary to actually finish the level. I didn't work out how to get the PG in a previous map, so I feel that and the Megasphere are a good reward for battling past so many enemies. I found 3 of the secrets here.

I'll get through the rest of the levels soon. I'm really getting the Doom 1 vibe from a lot of parts of these levels. Overall I'm really enjoying this so far!

degree23 said:
Map 2: Awesome music! I only managed to find 2 of the secrets on this one but holy damaging floors on the way to the SSG. Given how tight that area is, no radiation suit, and the fact it's only a SSG, is there a need for the floor to take THAT much health? I think you can take 120 damage minimum going there and back if you get through without getting stuck anywhere. I took 140 damage in total so it's lucky I had 200/100 going in. It seems disproportionately high given you have no prior warning of where you need to go in there and that it's only a SSG which you pick up normally in the next map anyway. Otherwise I really enjoyed this map.

There is actually a radsuit nearby in the level.

Spoiler

In the chaingunner outpost with the yellow key, there's a wall that doesn't match, which opens up into a secret area with the radsuit, the chainsaw, and some health. The chainsaw is telegraphed very early on, so the player should already be looking for the secret to it.

I have, however, received another complaint on another forum of a player trying to get through the area without a radsuit; my thinking was that the player might try to get through and die, which will tip them off that maybe they should be looking around nearby for a hidden radsuit. However, at least 2 of the people who've played it have given me feedback on this part, so in the next version, I will either only open up the nukeage tunnel AFTER the player finds the radsuit in the first place, or I will place an additional radsuit on the other end of the tunnel so that, if a player manages to survive to the end of the tunnel, they will have a radsuit to protect them on the way back.

Map 3: I was really expecting an ambush after getting the yellow key; I think that would be a good spot for some enemies to appear, maybe from behind one of the walls. I expected the RL to be a secret but it seems like it wasn't.

The yellow key is entirely optional, and in this version of the map is actually pretty extraneous. Adding a trap to the key pickup would be a little overkill IMO because of the large Revenant/Hellknight trap later on in the same level. It's alright to toss the "key activates closet" trick once a level (or even once every two levels) but doing it twice in the same level is IMO overkill.

The original version of this map was intended for a Doom E1M3 replacement and the yellow key originally led to the secret exit, but the exit got axed when I merged the map into this project. I want to rethink that area and how it connects back to the plasmagun secret (which only requires you to return to the yellow key room later on once you have the blue key, and find a hidden door, which is not something most players are going to think to do) without completely scrapping the COMPBLUE maze, because right now it feels kinda tacked on. Maybe I should design a small encounter.

Good catch on the RL secret! It not being marked is an oversight on my part, it was originally elsewhere in the level and I must have forgotten to tag it right during the move.

Map 4: I really enjoyed the whole "extra" part of the map that isn't necessary to actually finish the level. I didn't work out how to get the PG in a previous map, so I feel that and the Megasphere are a good reward for battling past so many enemies. I found 3 of the secrets here.

Going through that optional gauntlet will actually net you the red key which will allow you to complete the level the fastest AND won't spawn the Archvile. It was one of the areas in the map I had the most fun making actually, which is surprising to me for some reason. I also find that the more I build levels, the more I like making them nonlinear and allowing the player to choose different paths, and engineering the level in ways to make all (or most) paths viable without getting the player stuck can lead to some interesting ideas.

I'll get through the rest of the levels soon. I'm really getting the Doom 1 vibe from a lot of parts of these levels. Overall I'm really enjoying this so far!

Thanks! I've always preferred Doom 1's level design to Doom 2's, especially KDITD, although I have a special place for Petersen's whacked out psycho Hellbase architecture as well, which starts to creep in slowly in some of the levels before I'm planning on unleashing it fully in E2.

Heh, I was working on a mappack called Bad Blood. *Was* being the keyword, there, so don't worry about changing then name ;) The screenshots look nice. I'll have to come back and download the beta here.

Onslaught Six said:

There is actually a radsuit nearby in the level.

I thought there might be though I hadn't found it. It's only annoying because the maximum health you can get there with is 200/100 (I think, unless I missed a Megaarmour somewhere) and the proportion of forced damage (if you miss the radiation suit) to obtain the secret is not proportional to the reward. Either a radiation suit at the end of the tunnel, or reducing the damage to 10, or having a Soulsphere + armour, would be fine. That would effectively halve the damage either way, which then makes it not too bad.

Map 5: Not too much to say here, an enjoyable map to play through. I managed to find 4 of the secrets, though getting to the Baron one I only found by accident. I thought the teleporter outside the exit would just take me back up to the Cliffside, so I was very surprised to get those 2 Barons in my face!

Map 6: Again I'm really digging the music. A difficulty jump here I think and I don't know where you've hidden so many secrets! I only found 2 of them, though one was the Megasphere which was much needed at the end of so many encounters.

Map 7: I like the idea, though it was a bit tedious basically having to do the same encounter 4 times, twice. The lifts all activating at once caused Arachnatrons in other rooms to walk onto them and they then got stuck when they rose to the top so maybe they should only activate in individual rooms. The textures above the west and south doors also moved around as you walked around the level, which I assume isn't intentional. The initial teleporter seems to only work once, which would mess up the level for anyone playing co-op. You may not be designing it with co-op in mind, but as you can't return to the area anyway I don't know if there's a reason to not have it as a permanent teleporter. I found the Megasphere but I couldn't work out the second secret. I'm assuming it's by the different colour linedef on the automap, but couldn't see anything to open it.

Map 8: Again I'm not sure where you're putting these secrets! I got the Soulsphere but that was it. A relatively short but enjoyable map.

Map 9: The music says this map should be more intense than the previous ones, and I think it fits the level well. Near the end with Chaingunners on platforms, as you can see under them it looks like you should be able to run underneath the platforms but you can't. Maybe you could just make the platforms solid so it doesn't look like you should be able to go underneath them. I feel like that area could do with an overall more exciting fight. You have those crusher things constantly going and it makes it feel like there should be more enemies waiting there to fight or ambush you. I got 3 out of 4 secrets on this map.

Map 10: Maps of this quality should be part of the actual game!

I have to say overall I really enjoyed playing through these maps. For me, Map 7 needs a few tweaks but apart from that I think the maps are balanced quite well. I was playing continuously, but there was decent weaponry in all maps, even if you don't get the more powerful ones until a bit later on. I look forward to the finalised episode and the remaining 2 episodes later on!

FDAs for maps 1 to 6:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1305216

Liked it overall. Seems very "Doom 1 inspired" so far, a lot of setups very reminiscent of KDITD, but with a bit more Doom 2 things in the mix.

I played in Crispy Doom and found no major problems. Wasn't looking for errors like tutti-frutti etc. since Crispy doesn't display those anymore.

Some random comments:

You can jump out the windows in MAP01 to get the green armour secret outside, if you do, you're stuck.

Agree with degree23 that the radsuit issue in MAP02 is a problem. Nukage isn't usually 20% damaging; you could also crank it down to 5% and then if the player doesn't find the radsuit, oh well!

You put medikits on lifts all the time and it's annoying because it's hard/impossible to not pick them up accidentally if you don't want to because you're at 90% health. Same goes for some other items being in the way of the path forward.

Lots of chainsaws and berserks in the same map. Seems unnecessary, and given a recent discussion about people's distaste for the chainsaw, you might want to make it so you can claim credit for secrets without actually picking up the saw.

Hedge maze in MAP05(?) with the Barons was quite effective, though also kind of annoying when the threat had passed.

A lot of your maps seem to end "suddenly", by which I mean there are a lot of optional areas to go to and the exit switches aren't marked, so the player might exit before they mean to. I certainly did a few times. I'd suggest breaking out EXITSIGN a lot more.

There are a few spots where you can abuse key doors because monsters can't open them. If this is not intentional, remember that you only really need to make one side of the door require a key in most places.

I don't care much for the status bar. I think part of it is that the AMMO/HEALTH/etc. text is just barely over the red skulls border. Maybe shift them up a bit?

Half-lift textures like this look ugly. Use a different texture, or do the thing a lot of people do and split it into two linedefs of 32px and have the left side+right side of that texture but no middle.

Previous maps were very KDIDT-inspired (or derivative in places), the layout here seems straight out of Quake E1M1 though. Cool textures, quite a shift, difficulty also takes another jump. There's a spot where you go back to the STAR textures in this map that frankly seems out of place; consider avoiding them entirely in this texture set.

Using the SW2 version of this switch as "off" confused me a bit, since I avoided it in the first place so as to not take the radsuit right away. Suggest either move the suit, or use SW1, or both.

I could barely get in here to claim the secret. Widen the door a few pixels if you can.

Edit: One more thing, the sky looks funny at only 256x128 since it's got a sun in it, which means you can see up to four suns in an outdoor area. You should make it 1024x128 if you can, even if the other 3 faces are just the same with no sun. I can help with this if you want.

Argggh, I typed up another post for maps 7 to 9 but it got eaten somehow. Anyhow I'm going to keep it short, I enjoyed the maps a lot but there are some bugs. FDAs: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1305371

MAP07: you can SR onto the exit once the mancubi are killed. Some HOMs above doors.

MAP08: I don't think you tested this in PrBoom+ -complevel 2, a lot of the map is broken. Stairs don't raise, lots of sectors rise that look like they shouldn't, there's some platform that is stuck and so constantly makes the moving sector sound...

Stimpack too close to the ledge.

Triangle staircase was cool, cacos at the top are maybe more dangerous than you mean for them to be in a port without things over things.

MAP09: I triggered the all-ghosts bug and everything went to hell; will try it again later to see if it's a fluke.

Your lava doesn't animate properly in cl2.

This bit here was kind of mean, you need to find two secrets to get out if you don't have the blue key. I guess having nowhere else to go encourages finding the path but with the lava floors I can imagine some people might just think there's no options except dying.

Thanks for the detailed feedback! I will watch the demos and see what I can do about some of this stuff. I know the Map08 problem has already been fixed already (I had a linedef tagged to do something it wasn't supposed to).

Welcome! One thing that I missed retyping in my second post is that I did like these a fair bit. Most of my posts are bug reports/constructive (I hope) criticism, so I'm not sure if it came through that I enjoyed playing them and am looking forward to more.

plums said:

Welcome! One thing that I missed retyping in my second post is that I did like these a fair bit. Most of my posts are bug reports/constructive (I hope) criticism, so I'm not sure if it came through that I enjoyed playing them and am looking forward to more.

No, it definitely did; as someone who tries to give detailed feedback when I do, one thing that's easy to miss (on the receiving end) is that I wouldn't be giving such in-depth feedback if I didn't like it on some level in the first place. So yes, it comes through that you're only addressing problems in a constructive manner.

I actually took the time to make a more detailed response post:

You can jump out the windows in MAP01 to get the green armour secret outside, if you do, you're stuck.

Made the windows impassible to fix such a problem. Was going to do this earlier, actually, and can't remember why I didn't.

You put medikits on lifts all the time and it's annoying because it's hard/impossible to not pick them up accidentally if you don't want to because you're at 90% health. Same goes for some other items being in the way of the path forward.

For now, I moved the lift medkits and such off to the sides of the lifts, but in the future I will find other ways to do this that don't suck so bad.

Lots of chainsaws and berserks in the same map. Seems unnecessary, and given a recent discussion about people's distaste for the chainsaw, you might want to make it so you can claim credit for secrets without actually picking up the saw.

I didn't see that discussion; what thread was it in? In any case, I think the only "required" chainsaw is in Map03, and if players don't like the chainsaw, they don't have to use it, do they?

You are right though, considering that once the player picks up a chainsaw, they always have it, a player who finds all the secrets will end up seeing multiple chainsaws, which could be annoying. I'll consider dropping off the amount of them throughout.

There are a few spots where you can abuse key doors because monsters can't open them. If this is not intentional, remember that you only really need to make one side of the door require a key in most places.

Can you be more specific? I know that this could be a problem but unfortunately I don't know a lot of places where it actually is possible in my maps.

I don't care much for the status bar. I think part of it is that the AMMO/HEALTH/etc. text is just barely over the red skulls border. Maybe shift them up a bit?

The status bar was actually mostly a last-minute thing, and I agree, their placement could be a little better.

Half-lift textures like this look ugly. Use a different texture, or do the thing a lot of people do and split it into two linedefs of 32px and have the left side+right side of that texture but no middle.

I don't know why splitting the linedef never occured to me! Holy shit!

Using the SW2 version of this switch as "off" confused me a bit, since I avoided it in the first place so as to not take the radsuit right away. Suggest either move the suit, or use SW1, or both.

This map was actually one of the earlier maps I made--it was originally my Map04--and for some reason, I was very adamant that that switch be the SW2 version. I'll do this with my music too, I'll get hung up on a very specific thing about something and my brain will be all, "No, it absolutely HAS to be this way," and then days, weeks or months later, I'll wonder why the fuck I wanted it that way so bad.

The radsuit was a late addition, I thought making the player run around the nukeage so much was a little mean, so I threw it in there. I moved it off to the corner now.

One more thing, the sky looks funny at only 256x128 since it's got a sun in it, which means you can see up to four suns in an outdoor area. You should make it 1024x128 if you can, even if the other 3 faces are just the same with no sun. I can help with this if you want.

Aside from Doom mapping, I am actually half decent at music and graphic design, so I can handle the sky myself. I'm actually considering dropping this one entirely and using a different sky anyway.

you can SR onto the exit once the mancubi are killed. Some HOMs above doors.

Fixed the HOM, dunno how I missed this one. I'm going to redesign the exit platform area, too, since it can actually be bypassed by jumping anyway and that bothers me.

MAP09: I triggered the all-ghosts bug and everything went to hell; will try it again later to see if it's a fluke.

I looked up that bug and, sure enough, I know exactly what caused it:
"One such way to cause this is when a hitscan attack, including BFG tracers, crosses over more than 128 linedefs/things at once."

I worked hard to make those dumb 3D looking platforms, because Map09 is partially inspired from areas of Phazon Mines from Metroid Prime, which had a lot of 3D platforms sticking out of the walls. But they've caused me nothing but grief and pain; I've had to make the chaingunners teleport in so that they were active on the platforms, raise them further than I wanted to because of slime trails, and jump through all sorts of hoops to make them work as well as they do--and even then, the player can't walk underneath them so what's the point? The next version of the WAD will have them gone.

Your lava doesn't animate properly in cl2.

What can I do to fix that? I'm afraid I'm still quite ignorant in how certain things will look in certain ports. ..Mind, I just played the map myself in complevel2 and didn't see the problem.

This bit here was kind of mean, you need to find two secrets to get out if you don't have the blue key. I guess having nowhere else to go encourages finding the path but with the lava floors I can imagine some people might just think there's no options except dying.

I also got someone else who got stuck there and thought the only option was death. Even if you manage to find the secrets, the last exit requires the red key, which you need the blue key to get--there's no other way to access the teleporter otherwise.

I raised the pit so that players can't be stuck in that part of the lava anymore. The reason I even made the pit "inescapable" in the first place was to discourage players from using the radsuit and sticking in the lava to fight the Revenants, but I guess even with the radsuit, three Revenants is still pretty dangerous. Maybe I should change them to Hellknights or Mancubuses anyway--for one thing, the big Mancubus hallway on the other end of the other red key door is...not really fun and mostly exists to exist. I think of all the maps, this one still needs the most work, along with Map07, which might need a complete overhaul--I'm just not happy with it.

Thanks again for the feedback. All it can do is make my maps better! A new beta will be coming soon, with (hopefully) another map.

Like the wad a lot so far, here are my observations:

The music is really loud, volume wise.

The architecture is pretty Romero-esque, which is cool.

Creeping death is probably wasted as an intermission track.

I like the HUD.

Going to finish my play through today if I can.

Hey, wanted to rewatch my FDAs before replying. One thing I did notice having done that is that the maps definitely get a lot more visually interesting as they go on. The first two in particular have a few too many simple boxy rooms with STAR texturing, IMHO. I don't think they need complete overhauls, and they're pretty short anyhow, but you might want to consider sprucing them up just a bit.

Onslaught Six said:

[chainsaw] I didn't see that discussion; what thread was it in? In any case, I think the only "required" chainsaw is in Map03, and if players don't like the chainsaw, they don't have to use it, do they?

Discussion starts here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1301828

The main thing about chainsaw and berserk on the same level is that they both occupy the 1 key but the chainsaw gets priority. If you prefer berserk, then picking up the saw actually gets in the way of switching to the powered-up fists.

MAP04 had a chainsaw for a secret, and MAP03 had a chainsaw that you had to pick up to release some enemies (unless you can inch across the linedef without picking it up, not sure).

[key doors] Can you be more specific? I know that this could be a problem but unfortunately I don't know a lot of places where it actually is possible in my maps.

The two main places I noticed it were the red key door in MAP04, and the yellow key door in MAP06. Neither are a big deal, and the one in MAP04 might even be desirable, just so long as you are aware of it.

I'll get hung up on a very specific thing about something and my brain will be all, "No, it absolutely HAS to be this way," and then days, weeks or months later, I'll wonder why the fuck I wanted it that way so bad.

Haha, I understand completely.

I looked up that bug and, sure enough, I know exactly what caused it:
"One such way to cause this is when a hitscan attack, including BFG tracers, crosses over more than 128 linedefs/things at once."

I worked hard to make those dumb 3D looking platforms, because Map09 is partially inspired from areas of Phazon Mines from Metroid Prime, which had a lot of 3D platforms sticking out of the walls.

Yeah my framerate took a noticeable hit when I got to that area, so I thought that might have something to do with it. Well PrBoom+ and other advanced ports can avoid this bug if you want to leave things as they are, just make sure to include a disclaimer about it.

[lava] What can I do to fix that? I'm afraid I'm still quite ignorant in how certain things will look in certain ports. ..Mind, I just played the map myself in complevel2 and didn't see the problem.

Oh sorry I guess PrBoom+ supports the ANIMATED lump even on complevel 2? Didn't realize. I played with Crispy Doom and assumed it would be the same.

If you want them to animate in all limit-removing ports, you need to hijack an animated texture name. For instance you could delete DBRAIN* from the texture list of your wad in SLADE, and then rename LFALL textures to be DBRAIN, which is common with lavafall textures since DBRAIN is kind of useless outside of the IoS. (Or you could set it up so they go DBRAIN1 -> LFALL1 to 4 -> DBRAIN2 to 4, if that makes sense, so you don't have to edit any maps to change the texture names -- though if it's just MAP09 right now then it's not that big a deal. ) The patch names (actual graphics lumps) don't matter, it's just the texture names (Archive -> Texture Editor in SLADE).

plums said:

Hey, wanted to rewatch my FDAs before replying. One thing I did notice having done that is that the maps definitely get a lot more visually interesting as they go on. The first two in particular have a few too many simple boxy rooms with STAR texturing, IMHO. I don't think they need complete overhauls, and they're pretty short anyhow, but you might want to consider sprucing them up just a bit.

This is in the works. When I made those maps, I actually didn't have any custom textures, so they're basically nothing. I'm also going to go back and redetail most of them to be more in line with what I would do now.

The main thing about chainsaw and berserk on the same level is that they both occupy the 1 key but the chainsaw gets priority. If you prefer berserk, then picking up the saw actually gets in the way of switching to the powered-up fists.

MAP04 had a chainsaw for a secret, and MAP03 had a chainsaw that you had to pick up to release some enemies (unless you can inch across the linedef without picking it up, not sure).

I'm going to rebalance the maps anyway; someone else posted some FDAs on another forum where they were basically doing Tyson runs because I was giving them Berserk packs, and when I asked what the hell they were doing, they asked why I bothered to give the Berserk "if they weren't intended to use it." It's not a requirement, it's an option; I don't like punching things at all, even with berserk, so most of my maps can be played without it, and I tend to see the Berserk pack as a +100 health rather than anything else. If this were a ZDoom project, I would actually replace all of them with such an item. :)

The two main places I noticed it were the red key door in MAP04, and the yellow key door in MAP06. Neither are a big deal, and the one in MAP04 might even be desirable, just so long as you are aware of it.

The Map04 doors actually weren't; I went ahead and made the back end openable by monsters, and we'll see if that greatly changes the dynamic in the final bit. I hadn't considered players might run away in the Map06 confrontation, but seeing the fight that's in there, I'd say it's a viable strategy to use the door for cover.

Yeah my framerate took a noticeable hit when I got to that area, so I thought that might have something to do with it. Well PrBoom+ and other advanced ports can avoid this bug if you want to leave things as they are, just make sure to include a disclaimer about it.

Nah, I got rid of them. It wasn't worth the visual effect.

Oh sorry I guess PrBoom+ supports the ANIMATED lump even on complevel 2? Didn't realize. I played with Crispy Doom and assumed it would be the same.

If you want them to animate in all limit-removing ports, you need to hijack an animated texture name. For instance you could delete DBRAIN* from the texture list of your wad in SLADE, and then rename LFALL textures to be DBRAIN, which is common with lavafall textures since DBRAIN is kind of useless outside of the IoS. (Or you could set it up so they go DBRAIN1 -> LFALL1 to 4 -> DBRAIN2 to 4, if that makes sense, so you don't have to edit any maps to change the texture names -- though if it's just MAP09 right now then it's not that big a deal. ) The patch names (actual graphics lumps) don't matter, it's just the texture names (Archive -> Texture Editor in SLADE). [/B]

I was afraid of that! I already had to gank another of the animated textures for the waterfall in Map06; although if most port support that natively (from Plutonia) then that'd be cool.

invictius said:

What are the names for the intro midi and first three or so map midis? A couple of them sound very familiar.

Titlescreen: Blade Runner end titles
Map01: Duke Nukem II E1M1 (remix by Jay Reichard)
Map02: Rooftop from Spiderman & Venom: Maximum Carnage, which is a cover/bastardisation of The Mob Rules by Black Sabbat
Map03: Aliens, Say Your Prayers from Duke3D Episode 2 by Bobby Prince
Map04: ETF from Quake 2 (remix by Jay Reichard)
Map05: Quad Machine from Quake 2 (midi by me)
Map06: Boss fight from Maximum Carnage (modified by me)
Map07: Original song by me
Map08: March of the Damned by Judas Priest, MIDI bastardisation by me
Map09: Far Beyond Metal by Strapping Young Lad
Map10-11: Original song by me

Some of the tracks are placeholders and I'll be working on new tracks to replace them (mostly Map01-04) but for now, they work.

The first post has been updated with a new version.

Most notably, the new version has a DEHACKED patch which changes some decorations and makes burning barrels shootable. I have also fixed (or tried to fix) all the bugs from the previous release, but if you find any, please let me know!

The next release will have some major overhauls and Map10, Lair, as well as (hopefully) Map11, Bad Blood.

I've played the first 4 levels. What I have to say (and complain about) is that all of them were easy - very easy, almost embarrassingly. The early levels in particular overstocked the player with needless powerful resources, secret or non-secret. I suggest an improvement in this regard - balance it out and make the challenge bigger. There were quite a few texture misalignments in all levels, too. None of the maps looked wordly beautiful, but not bad either.

MAP01 looked familiar. :) Well, I wasn't really so impressed after finding out about the heavy "ripoff" vibe, but well, the map played okay. I didn't like how the floor next to the zigzag room lowered to the same level as the nukage.

MAP02 was okay too and continued in the D1-KDiTD-like, easy-ish spirit. One stimpack in the nukage-flood little maze was seemingly inaccessible, due to the corridor being too narrow.

MAP03 - surprisingly, it seemed familiar to me again. Weren't parts of it in a Switcheroom or UDINO (?) map and also the /vr/ speedmapping compilation? Well, very D1-like in structure and actually nice to explore. There was a bug - the big nukage pool (with secret door in it) didn't deal any damage, while the side nukage corridors did.

MAP04 - a certain change in theme and size. Looked and played well-enough, it also got sliiiiightly more challenging on average, but still, it wasn't difficult at all. I only got yellow+blue key and managed to skip 33% of the monsters - I get it, optional paths, that's good.

More to come when I'll play some of the next maps.

MAP05 - Another D1-like one, with less or more obvious homages. It didn't feel specially impressive. There were many high-HP Barons as unnecessary bullet sponges.

MAP06 - Well, making ripoffs is so comfortable, I know it myself. This time it was a Quake tribute. Nice. It played okay (only with some too high-HP monsters in the way, again). However, the latter parts of the map (specially those non-Quake rooms) seemed to be very rushed and undercooked. The archvile exit setup was a nice idea, though.

This feels a lot like Doom 1 with Doom 2 actors, which is definitely worth playing in my opinion. I'll come back with more details when I get farther into it (I got about halfway through MAP03)